How much of an effect

AUnMS

The timing of both was awful. I wouldn't go as far as saying that Duke cost us any games in 2015, but the drama with him on top of the other issues we were having did not help.  Jovon, on the other hand was a HUGE problem and could be part of why we were in such disarray coming into 2016. Gus basically had to rewrite the offense in 2 weeks because the key player was no longer there and, Kerryon is not even the same style of back as Jovon. There may have even been a chance that, had we been able to put Jovon in the featured roll, Gus might have rolled the dice with Franklin at QB so we could focus on the read option, and who knows how the season would have turned out...

Just now, AUwent said:

^Why Bubba wasn't inserted, we'll never know (I just hope he didn't have attitude problems too). We may have been able to beat Clemson had he started at RB.

He wasn't inserted because the coaches had no idea what he was capable of.  They planned for Jovon with Kerryon as a back-up, and Kam was probably slated to still be a fullback at that point.  When we lost Jovon, he was dropped into the running back rotation as a back-up. My guess is that he wasn't anything spectacular in practice and the lights just came on once he had the rock in his hands under the lights.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The timing of both was awful. I wouldn't go as far as saying that Duke cost us any games in 2015, but the drama with him on top of the other issues we were having did not help.  Jovon, on the other hand was a HUGE problem and could be part of why we were in such disarray coming into 2016. Gus basically had to rewrite the offense in 2 weeks because the key player was no longer there and, Kerryon is not even the same style of back as Jovon. There may have even been a chance that, had we been able to put Jovon in the featured roll, Gus might have rolled the dice with Franklin at QB so we could focus on the read option, and who knows how the season would have turned out...

I am convinced if jf3 was able to run the read option with good decisions and protect the ball he would have been the starter regardless of rb personell. I think that is what Gus and Rhett wanted and couldn't make it work. Just not in the cards. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I am convinced if jf3 was able to run the read option with good decisions and protect the ball he would have been the starter regardless of rb personell. I think that is what Gus and Rhett wanted and couldn't make it work. Just not in the cards. 

I think the right choice was made, but I think if he would have had a potential best in the SEC running back to hand it to, they might have rolled the dice just so they could focus on the zone read. 

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Wasn't Kam the leading rusher in the A-Day game?

I don't recall... but Barrett Trotter was the best QB in the 2010 A-Day game, so I'm not sure the coaches put a lot of stock in A-Day performances.

Archived