Hey Conservatives! Feel free to defend the Constitution

AUUSN

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When US president Donald Trump this past weekend mentioned events in Sweden, he was referring to a TV broadcast about Swedish migration policy. Several claims in the broadcast are questionable, and some downright wrong. Swedish news agency TT has looked at the facts.

1. Claim: In the introduction to the Fox News segment, the presenter says: ”In 2016 alone the country accepted more than 160,000 asylum seekers”.

Fact: In 2016, nearly 29,000 people sought asylum in Sweden, a very sharp decline compared to 2015, when nearly 163,000 sought asylum, according to the Migration Board. In 2016 there were nearly 112,000 asylum decisions taken, some 67,000 were approved.

2. Claim: "They feel it is their moral duty to open their borders to all and any refugees that want to come to them”, says filmmaker Ami Horowitz in the interview with Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

Fact: In November 2015 Sweden sharpened border controls to temporarily include arrivals from within the EU, followed by temporary identity checks in January 2016. Together with actions in other European countries, led to a dramatic decline in the number of asylum seekers (see point 1).

In 2016, asylum policies were tightened in a number of ways, which meant that Sweden went from having the EU’s most generous asylum laws to the EU minimum level, according to the Migration Board.

3. Claim: "There was an absolute surge in gun violence and rape in Sweden once they began this open door policy” says Horowitz.

Fact: The number of killings in "the criminal world" has increased from an average of 4 per year 1990–1994, to 14 per year from 2010 to 2014, in the entire country of 10 million people. In 2015 the number is preliminarily estimated at 28, according to criminologist Michael Rying at the Police Authority.

Several such shootings took place also in 2016, but the overall rate of deadly violence in Sweden is still about 1 per 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 5 per 100,000 in the US, according to the FBI.

The number of reports of rape has increased. However, because of several changes in sexual crimes legislation, and a belief that the propensity to report sexual crimes is increasing, it is difficult to compare the numbers over time.

Self reported female victims of sexual crimes number between 1 and 1.5 percent during the period 2005–2012. In the latest survey, in 2015, the figure had risen to 3 percent, according to the National Crime Prevention Agency. The responses say nothing about the type of sexual offenses.

4. Claim (about immigrant suburbs): "These are areas that cops won’t even enter, because it’s too dangerous for them. This is the policy of the national police authority in Sweden" says Horowitz.

Fact: Untrue. On the contrary, the police have strengthened their presence in several areas.

"There are no areas that the police do not go in to. In a report from 2015 the police describe 15 particularly vulnerable areas. These areas are characterized by, among other things, the difficulty for the police to fulfill its duty. There are no guidelines that the police should not visit these areas" writes Johanna Blomqvist, spokesperson for the national policeforce, to TT.

http://www.thelocal.se/20170220/sweden-facts-a-closer-look-at-filmmaker-ami-horowitz-claims

Two Swedish police officers were interviewed in the film. Anders Göranzon and Jacob Ekström answered questions about how weapons are becoming more accessible. Horowitz also asked the officers about how crime has spread through cities. But the police officers now say that their answers were taken out of context, and are very critical of how their comments were portrayed on Fox News ”Tucker Carlson Tonight”. ”I don’t understand why we are a part of the segment. The interview was about something completely different to what Fox News and Horowitz were talking about”, says Anders Göranzon.

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/poliserna-i-filmen-efter-trumputtalandet-vi-svarade-pa-helt-andra-fragor/

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

So Fox News is also in the fake news business. Does that mean that Trump is right?

No Fox News is in the for profit business just like all the other outlets orange face mentioned. 

They like the others are not the enemy of the people. A point these proud conservatives on this forum have yet to acknowledge.

Defenders of the constitution? Yeah right.

1 hour ago, AUUSN said:

Two Swedish police officers were interviewed in the film. Anders Göranzon and Jacob Ekström answered questions about how weapons are becoming more accessible. Horowitz also asked the officers about how crime has spread through cities. But the police officers now say that their answers were taken out of context, and are very critical of how their comments were portrayed on Fox News ”Tucker Carlson Tonight”. ”I don’t understand why we are a part of the segment. The interview was about something completely different to what Fox News and Horowitz were talking about”, says Anders Göranzon.

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/poliserna-i-filmen-efter-trumputtalandet-vi-svarade-pa-helt-andra-fragor/

Swedish officials don't want  to go on record as seeming to be anti-immigrant. No shocker here. 

25 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

No Fox News is in the for profit business just like all the other outlets orange face mentioned. 

They like the others are not the enemy of the people. A point these proud conservatives on this forum have yet to acknowledge.

Defenders of the constitution? Yeah right.

I fail to see after a myriad of your posts as to where the constitution has to be defended. The press writes whatever they like and Trump orates his displeasure about some of it. Then the press reports on the outrage and the indignity of it all for days in a row.

I fail to see anywhere where the freedom of the press has been denied nor have I seen where congress has been bypassed. I fact I think it's running quite like as it was intended.I tend to frown on the president making blanket statements but I also find it hard not to offer him the same rights  every other citizen has.

43 minutes ago, WDavE said:

I fail to see after a myriad of your posts as to where the constitution has to be defended. The press writes whatever they like and Trump orates his displeasure about some of it. Then the press reports on the outrage and the indignity of it all for days in a row.

I fail to see anywhere where the freedom of the press has been denied nor have I seen where congress has been bypassed. I fact I think it's running quite like as it was intended.I tend to frown on the president making blanket statements but I also find it hard not to offer him the same rights  every other citizen has.

He is the President and swore an oath to support and defend the constitution. He called the press an enemy of the people. If you can't see what's wrong with that, don't bother replying to me. You're too far gone.

1 hour ago, WDavE said:

Just like any other Joe Blow. 

The righties have gone from fretting over Obama golfing and taking his jacket off in the Oval Office to having no standards at all. Heaven help us.

4 hours ago, AUUSN said:

He is the President and swore an oath to support and defend the constitution. He called the press an enemy of the people. If you can't see what's wrong with that, don't bother replying to me. You're too far gone.

So, Trump exercising his 1st amendment right violates the constitution or someone else's rights how?   

8 hours ago, japantiger said:

So, Trump exercising his 1st amendment right violates the constitution or someone else's rights how?   

? ? ? 

8 hours ago, japantiger said:

He called the press an enemy of the people. If you can't see what's wrong with that, don't bother replying to me. You're too far gone.

Didn't he call FAKE MEDIA the enemy of the people ?  Kinda like what Thomas Jefferson said as well ?

Fix yer own sammich. 

1 hour ago, AURaptor said:

Didn't he call FAKE MEDIA the enemy of the people ?  Kinda like what Thomas Jefferson said as well ?

Fix yer own sammich. 

Jefferson never called the press an enemy of the people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/17/trumps-war-with-the-media-isnt-new-thomas-jefferson-railed-about-newspaper-lies-too/

15 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Just like any other Joe Blow. 

The righties have gone from fretting over Obama golfing and taking his jacket off in the Oval Office to having no standards at all. Heaven help us.

Why are you bringing Obama into this? Is it because you KNOW that Trump did not call the press an enemy of the people?

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

Why are you bringing Obama into this? Is it because you KNOW that Trump did not call the press an enemy of the people?

The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!,786 Retweets

Archived