March Madness

AU64

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tiger said:

So much Duke love in here I'm thinking @GwillMac6 is actually Lee Melchioni or Greg Paulus lolol :poke:

I despised paulus. one of the biggest duke busts in my eyes in recent memory. OY! but melchioni was muhhhhhhhhhhhh dude!!! one of my favorite dukie role players ever. thats a name I have not heard in awhile!!!I love it!

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I despised paulus. one of the biggest duke busts in my eyes in recent memory. OY! but melchioni was muhhhhhhhhhhhh dude!!! one of my favorite dukie role players ever. thats a name I have not heard in awhile!!!I love it!

As a native of the Triangle I remember that era well. Paulus should've stuck with football out of high school, but I must give Coach K credit. If it was not for that era's shortcomings he probably wouldn't have realized he needed to get his hands dirty and start recruiting players who weren't going to be 4 year projects. He altered the culture of his program and is reaping the benefits from it now.

Also, Josh McRoberts is probably a lottery pick if he leaves after his freshman year. But I do find it funny that you listed Melchioni and Scheyer as some of your most liked Dukies -- both guys seemed to have more than their share of haters. I know people really hated JJ but the kid was a damn assassin out there you can't do anything but respect a kid who can shoot at such an elite level like that.

Lol remember when people were seriously discussing who would be a better NBA player -- JJ Redick or Adam Morrison? Yikes...

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

As a native of the Triangle I remember that era well. Paulus should've stuck with football out of high school, but I must give Coach K credit. If it was not for that era's shortcomings he probably wouldn't have realized he needed to get his hands dirty and start recruiting players who weren't going to be 4 year projects. He altered the culture of his program and is reaping the benefits from it now.

Also, Josh McRoberts is probably a lottery pick if he leaves after his freshman year. But I do find it funny that you listed Melchioni and Scheyer as some of your most liked Dukies -- both guys seemed to have more than their share of haters. I know people really hated JJ but the kid was a damn assassin out there you can't do anything but respect a kid who can shoot at such an elite level like that.

Lol remember when people were seriously discussing who would be a better NBA player -- JJ Redick or Adam Morrison? Yikes...

see I do not see scheyer as hated. I really have not seen a duke player hated at the level of laettner or Redick until grayson allen. Unlike Redick grayson absolutely deserves it. Laettner absolutely loved it. That is just who he is. He brought it on himself by stepping on guys when they were down on the floor but he also backed it up on the court. You can tell it bothers grayson allen being hated. It does not fuel him like redick or laettner. I love Auburn, LeBron and Duke in that order. I obviously love going against the grain and being fans of hated teams and players!!! Never been one to join the masses and be a fan of someone or something that is universally loved! lol clearly.

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

see I do not see scheyer as hated. I really have not seen a duke player hated at the level of laettner or Redick until grayson allen. Unlike Redick grayson absolutely deserves it. Laettner absolutely loved it. That is just who he is. He brought it on himself by stepping on guys when they were down on the floor but he also backed it up on the court. You can tell it bothers grayson allen being hated. It does not fuel him like redick or laettner. I love Auburn, LeBron and Duke in that order. I obviously love going against the grain and being fans of hated teams and players!!! Never been one to join the masses and be a fan of someone or something that is universally loved! lol clearly.

I think my perception of the Scheyer hate was being surrounded by UNC fans and the seemingly preppy white kids seem to be easy targets, especially at Duke. Good points about Grayson Allen not being quite like JJ or Laettner. Respect for going against the grain though. I can relate as growing up I didn't even meet a single fellow AU fan (my dad had me in orange and blue since birth so the ACC regional teams weren't even an option for me), so I always felt I was going against the grain in my childhood until college, of course. One of my high school teammates ended up walking on at UNC though so I have a soft spot for the Tar Heel bball program as I, luckily, got to be inside the facilities and around the program quite a bit during the Hansbrough/Ty Lawson/Danny Green/Wayne Ellington and Kendall Marshall/John Henson/Tyler Zeller eras so I like to see Roy and company do well. I can definitely understand and relate to your pseudo-hipster view on sports lol

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think my perception of the Scheyer hate was being surrounded by UNC fans and the seemingly preppy white kids seem to be easy targets, especially at Duke. Good points about Grayson Allen not being quite like JJ or Laettner. Respect for going against the grain though. I can relate as growing up I didn't even meet a single fellow AU fan (my dad had me in orange and blue since birth so the ACC regional teams weren't even an option for me), so I always felt I was going against the grain in my childhood until college, of course. One of my high school teammates ended up walking on at UNC though so I have a soft spot for the Tar Heel bball program as I, luckily, got to be inside the facilities and around the program quite a bit during the Hansbrough/Ty Lawson/Danny Green/Wayne Ellington era so I like to see Roy and company do well. I can definitely understand and relate to your pseudo-hipster view on sports lol

hahahhahaah O MAN there is not a college athlete I have ever hated more than psycho T!!! if he was a duke player I think the rest of the country would feel the way dukies feel about him!!! He was so easy to hate! omgsh. That is 1 unc player who seemed like a dukie in every which way shape and form. Hes a guy you love if he is on your team but hate if he is on any other. like joakim noah. OMGSH! I hate that guy especially in the nba with his run ins with LeBron but he was a beast at florida and their emotional leader on the floor and the catalyst for those 2 titles. Wayne Ellington is probaly the only unc player I liked while he was at unc. his game was so smooth. Roy has not had anyone near a caliber of team since 09. His recruiting has taken a step back.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

hahahhahaah O MAN there is not a college athlete I have ever hated more than psycho T!!! if he was a duke player I think the rest of the country would feel the way dukies feel about him!!! He was so easy to hate! omgsh. That is 1 unc player who seemed like a dukie in every which way shape and form. Hes a guy you love if he is on your team but hate if he is on any other. like joakim noah. OMGSH! I hate that guy especially in the nba with his run ins with LeBron but he was a beast at florida and their emotional leader on the floor and the catalyst for those 2 titles. Wayne Ellington is probaly the only unc player I liked while he was at unc. his game was so smooth. Roy has not had anyone near a caliber of team since 09. His recruiting has taken a step back.

lolol soooo true on Hansbrough. I think a lot of well-balanced UNC fans would admit that, too. I like Noah though I like the guys that hustle and their presence not always being felt on the stat sheet. I also found his comments about vacations and Cleveland to be pretty funny but I must say I'm a big Lebron guy and find myself defending him a ton -- except on the flopping lol. But yeah Roy definitely has been going after the 4 year talent instead of the more immediate impact players and I'm sure the smoke from all the academic allegations has something to do with that. I think it was Brandon Ingram who said he would've gone to UNC had it not been for the potential sanctions...which is pretty funny since he was 1 and done the whole way. 

49 minutes ago, Tiger said:

lolol soooo true on Hansbrough. I think a lot of well-balanced UNC fans would admit that, too. I like Noah though I like the guys that hustle and their presence not always being felt on the stat sheet. I also found his comments about vacations and Cleveland to be pretty funny but I must say I'm a big Lebron guy and find myself defending him a ton -- except on the flopping lol. But yeah Roy definitely has been going after the 4 year talent instead of the more immediate impact players and I'm sure the smoke from all the academic allegations has something to do with that. I think it was Brandon Ingram who said he would've gone to UNC had it not been for the potential sanctions...which is pretty funny since he was 1 and done the whole way. 

O I am not even talking about the jokes about cleveland he did way back in 2010. That was actually really funny and I laughed very hard at that! Because come on! It is true. Cleveland is BLEH! LeBron is the only reason anyone would want to go there and play. Noah just always steps to him like he is on a superstar level whenever they would face off in regular season or playoffs. For people that like him I can see how that would be awesome how he does not care who you are he is going to be who he is as a player regardless. His run looks to be coming to a end. He has been ATROCIOUS last couple of years. That plantar fasciitis has proven to be the death of his career as far as a productive player. hahaha see you see him recruiting 4 year players and I see him not being able to develop One and dones! thats absolutely the recruiting pitch I would use if  I was a unc fan. Lately off the top of my head Kennedy Meeks, Marcus Paige, Brice Johnson, Isaiah Hicks and Justin Jackson were viewed as potential one and dones. rather they were overhyped or roys inability to develop them NONE of them were able to leave early and declare for the nba. I look at it as a combination of the 2. Justin Jackson because of this year will FINALLY be able to leave early albeit it even though its as a junior. But all of them tested the waters each year and came back because none were rock solid first round picks till this year with Justin Jackson.  I get so frustrated as a dukie because K has been absolutely lapping Roy in terms of recruiting but besides 2015 has nothing really to show for it. Roy is living off of 2 classes  3 and 4 years ago because all of them have turned in to 3 or 4 year players. So roys inability to get these guys to the nba has worked in his favor because he had no one close to the caliber player waiting in the wings if those guys would of turned pro because recruiting has dropped off. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

BTW IDK how you feel about this but last years title game reminded me of the 99 title game between duke and uconn. UNC should of SMACKED nova. UNC had the better player at arguably every position. A lot of the positional matchups it was not close. I really have no clue how unc lost. Same with 99 in uconn and duke. that was a HISTORIC duke team who won 37 games but ran in to a team on a mission and a future nba stud in rip hamilton. seems like in both games nova and uconn made every clutch basket to keep unc and duke at bay from overtaking them.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

I think my perception of the Scheyer hate was being surrounded by UNC fans and the seemingly preppy white kids seem to be easy targets, especially at Duke. Good points about Grayson Allen not being quite like JJ or Laettner. Respect for going against the grain though. I can relate as growing up I didn't even meet a single fellow AU fan (my dad had me in orange and blue since birth so the ACC regional teams weren't even an option for me), so I always felt I was going against the grain in my childhood until college, of course. One of my high school teammates ended up walking on at UNC though so I have a soft spot for the Tar Heel bball program as I, luckily, got to be inside the facilities and around the program quite a bit during the Hansbrough/Ty Lawson/Danny Green/Wayne Ellington and Kendall Marshall/John Henson/Tyler Zeller eras so I like to see Roy and company do well. I can definitely understand and relate to your pseudo-hipster view on sports lol

Have you guys forgotten about Wojo . I don't think anybody was more despised than he was … Especially by Carolina fans. And he certainly fit the Duke profile … A feisty white kid who went out of his way to antagonize the opposition and generally played beyond his athletic ability.

As for the loss fortunately my wife is out of town and should be about over that loss although some of our Gamecock friends are sure to bring it to her attention. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Have you guys forgotten about Wojo . I don't think anybody was more despised than he was … Especially by Carolina fans. And he certainly fit the Duke profile … A feisty white kid who went out of his way to antagonize the opposition and generally played beyond his athletic ability.

As for the loss fortunately my wife is out of town and should be about over that loss although some of our Gamecock friends are sure to bring it to her attention. 

wojo hate I would put right behind laettner and redick for sure. He started the whole duke floor slap when playing defense after a big offensive possession. Generally the more hated the duke player the more I love them. I think wojo was the ultimate antagonize the opposition and play beyond your athletic ability duke player who was actually good. I think he was a 1 or 2 time national defensive player of the year.

59 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

wojo hate I would put right behind laettner and redick for sure. He started the whole duke floor slap when playing defense after a big offensive possession. Generally the more hated the duke player the more I love them. I think wojo was the ultimate antagonize the opposition and play beyond your athletic ability duke player who was actually good. I think he was a 1 or 2 time national defensive player of the year.

I've played pickup against wojo in Cameron lol, it's cool to see him being successful nowadays. Dude was still super talented on the court at that time (GA at Duke, I believe). Dunking over everybody, it was never fair with him playing. It was always funny to watch him take over a game against a group of unexpected high school seniors who had no idea who he was and thought he was just another one of coach K's minion GAs.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

O I am not even talking about the jokes about cleveland he did way back in 2010. That was actually really funny and I laughed very hard at that! Because come on! It is true. Cleveland is BLEH! LeBron is the only reason anyone would want to go there and play. Noah just always steps to him like he is on a superstar level whenever they would face off in regular season or playoffs. For people that like him I can see how that would be awesome how he does not care who you are he is going to be who he is as a player regardless. His run looks to be coming to a end. He has been ATROCIOUS last couple of years. That plantar fasciitis has proven to be the death of his career as far as a productive player. hahaha see you see him recruiting 4 year players and I see him not being able to develop One and dones! thats absolutely the recruiting pitch I would use if  I was a unc fan. Lately off the top of my head Kennedy Meeks, Marcus Paige, Brice Johnson, Isaiah Hicks and Justin Jackson were viewed as potential one and dones. rather they were overhyped or roys inability to develop them NONE of them were able to leave early and declare for the nba. I look at it as a combination of the 2. Justin Jackson because of this year will FINALLY be able to leave early albeit it even though its as a junior. But all of them tested the waters each year and came back because none were rock solid first round picks till this year with Justin Jackson.  I get so frustrated as a dukie because K has been absolutely lapping Roy in terms of recruiting but besides 2015 has nothing really to show for it. Roy is living off of 2 classes  3 and 4 years ago because all of them have turned in to 3 or 4 year players. So roys inability to get these guys to the nba has worked in his favor because he had no one close to the caliber player waiting in the wings if those guys would of turned pro because recruiting has dropped off. 

I can see how people dislike Noah, for sure. And yep Noah's game fell off a cliff -- Thibodeau ran him into the ground and now there isn't any coming back from it. I gotta disagree but I'm not really in tune with HS basketball recruiting -- outside of hearing about the top guys and who AU is after. I really only see the guys once they hit the court in college and I just don't think he's been getting anybody with NBA talent, but I'm talking with the benefit of seeing them once they are in college.  Jackson probably might be able to land somewhere as a role player, but I think it may be a combination of both as Harrison Barnes was definitely a one and done type of guy but his stay at UNC felt a little underwhelming to your point. Yep I agree K has been crushing Roy in recruiting but I think Duke is like 7-3 vs UNC in the last 10 which is pretty impressive. But the problem with relying so much on 1 and dones is sometimes you have early tournament exits. I don't talk too much ACC sports because I follow the SEC much more, so it was interesting seeing your viewpoint on Roy/1 and dones. I'm just wondering how things would've gone if Wiggins or Ingram ended up at UNC.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

BTW IDK how you feel about this but last years title game reminded me of the 99 title game between duke and uconn. UNC should of SMACKED nova. UNC had the better player at arguably every position. A lot of the positional matchups it was not close. I really have no clue how unc lost. Same with 99 in uconn and duke. that was a HISTORIC duke team who won 37 games but ran in to a team on a mission and a future nba stud in rip hamilton. seems like in both games nova and uconn made every clutch basket to keep unc and duke at bay from overtaking them.

I remember those UConn and Duke teams. Rip Hamilton, that chubby kid Khalid El-Amin (not sure on spelling). Duke was freaking stacked though -- Will Avery, Elton Brand, Chris Carrawel, Trajan Langdon (that last possession...), Corey Maggette, Battier...I think I'm forgetting some but that is a good comparison between games. UNC was just better, but not on that night. Just like that Duke game. So much more talent on one team compared to the other but that's the beauty of a single elimination tournament -- you just need to beat them on that night!

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Oh yeah that floor slap became famous and also mocked by opponents. He was almost like a Dellevedova out there. He was a good solid player though, and he's doing a great job with Marquette as HC. Yeah Duke fans have been getting a rough time since the weekend around here!

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I can see how people dislike Noah, for sure. And yep Noah's game fell off a cliff -- Thibodeau ran him into the ground and now there isn't any coming back from it. I gotta disagree but I'm not really in tune with HS basketball recruiting -- outside of hearing about the top guys and who AU is after. I really only see the guys once they hit the court in college and I just don't think he's been getting anybody with NBA talent, but I'm talking with the benefit of seeing them once they are in college.  Jackson probably might be able to land somewhere as a role player, but I think it may be a combination of both as Harrison Barnes was definitely a one and done type of guy but his stay at UNC felt a little underwhelming to your point. Yep I agree K has been crushing Roy in recruiting but I think Duke is like 7-3 vs UNC in the last 10 which is pretty impressive. But the problem with relying so much on 1 and dones is sometimes you have early tournament exits. I don't talk too much ACC sports because I follow the SEC much more, so it was interesting seeing your viewpoint on Roy/1 and dones. I'm just wondering how things would've gone if Wiggins or Ingram ended up at UNC.

since I am a recruiting junkie when it comes to anything Auburn related and Duke bball I crunched the numbers comparing the duke to unc classes for the last 5 classes starting with class of 2016 since the class of 2017 is not done yet with some big fishes out there that unc and duke are still fighting over. BTW did you know tampa catholic has a 5 star bball and consensus top 10 mickey d's AA prospect that duke unc and other blue bloods are fighting for to close out the class? Ya know the school where NCM and devan barrett went to?! THAT IS NUTS! that school is loaded with talent. Anyways here is what I found. I used the 247 composite by the way since imo that is the best way to judge the classes. in 2016 unc was 14th, 67th in 2015, 2014 they were 10th, 2013 they were 18th and 2012 they were 5th. Not as bad as I thought besides that 1 atrocious class but not as good as they should be for what IMO is one of the 4 richest in tradition and most well known blue bloods in unc. (FTR the other 3 in some order imo is: duke, kansas and kentucky.) In comparison Duke over the last 5 classes had a class ranking of: 1, 2, 1, 9 and 36. 

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

since I am a recruiting junkie when it comes to anything Auburn related and Duke bball I crunched the numbers comparing the duke to unc classes for the last 5 classes starting with class of 2016 since the class of 2017 is not done yet with some big fishes out there that unc and duke are still fighting over. BTW did you know tampa catholic has a 5 star bball and consensus top 10 mickey d's AA prospect that duke unc and other blue bloods are fighting for to close out the class? Ya know the school where NCM and devan barrett went to?! THAT IS NUTS! that school is loaded with talent. Anyways here is what I found. I used the 247 composite by the way since imo that is the best way to judge the classes. in 2016 unc was 14th, 67th in 2015, 2014 they were 10th, 2013 they were 18th and 2012 they were 5th. Not as bad as I thought besides that 1 atrocious class but not as good as they should be for what IMO is one of the 4 richest in tradition and most well known blue bloods in unc. (FTR the other 3 in some order imo is: duke, kansas and kentucky.) In comparison Duke over the last 5 classes had a class ranking of: 1, 2, 1, 9 and 36. 

That is a hell of a discrepancy between recruiting rankings. Also reflective of Duke bringing in NBA studs and replacing them with guys who just left for the NBA while Roy is either unable to develop kids or not successfully getting those same studs Duke is after. Who the heck was in UNC's 67th ranked class? Problem for Roy is that between Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas there is a lot of competition for the few 1 and dones out there and none of those schools have an NCAA cloud hanging over them. The classes could be better for them when you think about the UNC brand but hard to argue with the amount of wins in the last few years despite the lower than usual recruiting rankings. Also, it's amazing how some areas/schools just pump out the elite level talent in sports. There has to be something in the water lol

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That is a hell of a discrepancy between recruiting rankings. Also reflective of Duke bringing in NBA studs and replacing them with guys who just left for the NBA while Roy is either unable to develop kids or not successfully getting those same studs Duke is after. Who the heck was in UNC's 67th ranked class? Problem for Roy is that between Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas there is a lot of competition for the few 1 and dones out there and none of those schools have an NCAA cloud hanging over them. The classes could be better for them when you think about the UNC brand but hard to argue with the amount of wins in the last few years despite the lower than usual recruiting rankings. Also, it's amazing how some areas/schools just pump out the elite level talent in sports. There has to be something in the water lol

Luke Maye and kenny williams were the only 2 in that 2015 class. I think the lack of guys going pro early has hurt unc in recruiting but also helping them on the floor since it has made them a much better basketball team. They are IMO about to go to back to back final 4's when everyone thought unc was going to be "down" by their standards for awhile so I got to give roy a lot of credit for that. Your right Kentucky and Duke ALONE just the 2 of them take well over 50% or even more of the REAL stone cold locks one and done guys who are definite lottery picks. Your right the unc brand is hurting a little with the ncaa cloud hanging over their head. I cannot deny it any longer.  Seriously! tampa has become a hot bed for basketball and football recruits lately! and AU is reaping the benefits of it in fball!

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Luke Maye and kenny williams were the only 2 in that 2015 class. I think the lack of guys going pro early has hurt unc in recruiting but also helping them on the floor since it has made them a much better basketball team. They are IMO about to go to back to back final 4's when everyone thought unc was going to be "down" by their standards for awhile so I got to give roy a lot of credit for that. Your right Kentucky and Duke ALONE just the 2 of them take well over 50% or even more of the REAL stone cold locks one and done guys who are definite lottery picks. Your right the unc brand is hurting a little with the ncaa cloud hanging over their head. I cannot deny it any longer.  Seriously! tampa has become a hot bed for basketball and football recruits lately! and AU is reaping the benefits of it in fball!

You're so right. While they aren't getting those automatic NBA picks they are able to cultivate top 3-4 year players and keep them around. It helps them on the floor and in March but makes their recruiting rankings less impressive. While getting a 1 and done is a huge game changer, the sustainability of Roy's method (even though it's not necessarily by choice) is enviable. I hope one day Bruce gets us to a similar type of trajectory/plan -- not that I wouldn't take a 1 and done. 

Maybe using Roy as an example is reaching way too high, but let's go one state south in Frank Martin. What he has built at S Carolina is impressive and I hope in 2-3 years we are on this level. Funny enough, Frank Martin had to rely on a group of freshman early in his tenure and his now reaping those rewards. On Mike and Mike he said "you're not going to win many games when your starting lineup is made up almost entirely of freshman" [loose quote]. This got me instantly thinking about AU and how our freshman are more talented than their current group of seniors were as freshman. It's exciting as long as everyone stays until they are truly an NBA Draft target. Bad advice can really wreck the direction of where we are trying to go.

Also I'm not mad at all at AU taking advantage of the talent that Tampa has to offer. I hope we keep benefiting from it!

Was listening to some basketball discussion a day

or so ago and seems that North Carolina has the best of both worlds. They have a team full of McDonald's all Americans and several of them have been at Carolina for three years or more.

Got a bunch of guys who are exceptional athletes but not quite good enough to play the"one and done " game. I am thinking that we might be in the same situation soon.   There was talk before the season about some of our guys only staying one year but I think that misconception has been resolved. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

or so ago and seems that North Carolina has the best of both worlds. They have a team full of McDonald's all Americans and several of them have been at Carolina for three years or more.

Got a bunch of guys who are exceptional athletes but not quite good enough to play the"one and done " game. I am thinking that we might be in the same situation soon.   There was talk before the season about some of our guys only staying one year but I think that misconception has been resolved. 

Good post, 64. I agree I hope our roster is constructed similarly in terms of having talented experience. We just might be on our way to that in the coming years...

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

I agree with you and for a program like Auburn who really won't be able to consistently get the one and done type the almost good enough to be one and done but having to stay 3-4 years is probably a best case scenario.

If South Carolina and Florida both win their games tonight, it'll be an SEC vs. SEC match up in the Elite 8.

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

If South Carolina and Florida both win their games tonight, it'll be an SEC vs. SEC match up in the Elite 8.

That's good and bad but it could work out that way

What came over the Gamecocks the last few weeks ?

Got new respect for Thornwell...had some doubts when he got the award...but he is leading his team to unexpected places.

Archived