Trump Fires Comey

AUDub

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So you believe the reason for the firing is what?

Failure to provide effective leadership for the FBI.

There must be hundred links to articles detailing the chaos in the FBI these days . That agency is too important to allow someone like Mr. Comey to destroy the public's confidence in that agency.

The interesting thing is, that until he got fired today almost no one in Washington DC... Democrat or Republican, thought the guy was doing a good job. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reactions have been interesting. Both senior Dems and GOPers have recently been critical of Comey. Now the senior Dems (Schumer, et. al.) are displaying hypocrisy at it's worst. Let me just say here.....I grew up in B'ham in a hard core Democrat, union family who worked in the steel mills, mining and railroad area. I was also a hard core Dem. I hated GOPers like Rockefeller, Javits, etc. I now consider myself an Independent but hell would freeze over befor I would vote for a Dem on the national level. The Dems are making idiots of themselves when in today's media they can show them making contradictory comments just days/weeks ago. It is sad to see for me that is the case and it cements the political divide that exists in our country. Politicians are more interested in their party than they are our country.

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

The reactions have been interesting. Both senior Dems and GOPers have recently been critical of Comey. Now the senior Dems (Schumer, et. al.) are displaying hypocrisy at it's worst. Let me just say here.....I grew up in B'ham in a hard core Democrat, union family who worked in the steel mills, mining and railroad area. I was also a hard core Dem. I hated GOPers like Rockefeller, Javits, etc. I now consider myself an Independent but hell would freeze over befor I would vote for a Dem on the national level. The Dems are making idiots of themselves when in today's media they can show them making contradictory comments just days/weeks ago. It is sad to see for me that is the case and it cements the political divide that exists in our country. Politicians are more interested in their party than they are our country.

It's a principle response. You find that confusing.

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Failure to provide effective leadership for the FBI.

There must be hundred links to articles detailing the chaos in the FBI these days . That agency is too important to allow someone like Mr. Comey to destroy the public's confidence in that agency.

The interesting thing is, that until he got fired today almost no one in Washington DC... Democrat or Republican, thought the guy was doing a good job. 

The recommendation mentions the press conference and the letter 11 days before the election-- Trump acted today on those? No one, D or R, who is half way objective is buying it.

I've spent the last several hours trying to find an acceptable rationale for the timing of Comey's firing. I just can't do it.8:58 PM · May 9, 2017

One of the most freeing things about not having voted for Trump is that I feel zero compulsion to defend him (and thus defend my vote).  The firing is weird and I think any objective look at it would lead you to that conclusion.  Whether it's more than just "weird" is yet to be determined, but let's not rush to the man's defense like this is all perfectly logical.  It ain't.

In addition, the way he was fired is the act of a gutless coward, not a president.  I expect better.

Comey learned he was fired from TV, thought it was prank: reports

FBI Director James Comey learned of his firing from a television news report, according to CNN and The New York Times.

Comey was in Los Angeles speaking to employees at an FBI field office when he saw the news break that President Trump had ousted him, the reports said.

According to the Times, Comey laughed when he saw the report, believing it to be a prank. Staffers then pulled him aside.

Keith Schiller, the director of Oval Office operations at the White House, hand delivered a letter from Trump to Comey informing him of his firing late Tuesday afternoon. But Comey was not there to receive it.

Trump's letter stated that he was dismissing Comey because it was time for a “new beginning” at the nation’s “crown jewel of law enforcement.”

“While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to lead the Bureau,” Trump wrote.

- This story was updated 8:53 p.m.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332662-comey-learned-he-was-fired-from-tv-reports

It took 18 days for Trump to fire Flynn.

The Deputy AG's report is dated the same day Comey is fired. Why the urgency? He couldn't wait to properly fire Comey?

On October 20, 1973, the former Nixon White House counsel John Dean pleaded guilty to conspiracy to cover up the Watergate affair, and agreed to become a witness for the prosecution—for Cox. On Tuesday, Dean reflected on the Comey firing and told my colleague Jane Mayer, “I’d have thought they’d have let the man walk out under his own power. But Trump, I guess, always has to play the strong guy.”

“By doing this, though,” Dean continued, “they’ve raised so many questions. How can you conclude anything but that Trump knows he’s got problems? . . . Every move they make keeps signalling ‘cover-up.’ ”

Dean continued, “If they think they can influence the Russian investigation by removing Comey, they are naïve. I learned from my own experience that you can’t put in the fix by removing somebody.”

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/comeys-firing-is-and-isnt-like-nixons-saturday-night-massacre?mbid=social_twitter

Just for the record, Comey was fired at the request of his new ( and now former )  boss who thoroughly detailed why he needed to go. He made the request immediately upon taking office.

No good reason to delay it ...this investigation will have no end since it apparently has no direction..and it will continue as long as there is money to pay for it.  JMO

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just for the record, Comey was fired at the request of his new ( and now former )  boss who thoroughly detailed why he needed to go. He made the request immediately upon taking office.

No good reason to delay it ...this investigation will have no end since it apparently has no direction..and it will continue as long as there is money to pay for it.  JMO

The reasons given included things Trump praised. But all of a sudden, after subpoenaes are issued he can't even wait until Comey is back in town.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Here's a good reason.

Wait for the DOJ IG to complete their investigation into Comey.

10 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

Here's a good reason.

Wait for the DOJ IG to complete their investigation into Comey.

Nobody knows how long that is going to be...it's been ongoing for about a year already and has jumped all over the place.  Meanwhile the Senate is involved in it's own investigation.   This guy was the boss...you can bet that he is not personally doing anything in this investigation...he won't be missed except by his media friends.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nobody knows how long that is going to be...it's been ongoing for about a year already and has jumped all over the place.  Meanwhile the Senate is involved in it's own investigation.   This guy was the boss...you can bet that he is not personally doing anything in this investigation...he won't be missed except by his media friends.

You seem to be confused why agencies have Inspector Generals in the first place.

Meanwhile Trump currently losing his ? on Twitter is very telling.

9 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

You seem to be confused why agencies have Inspector Generals in the first place.

Meanwhile Trump currently losing his ? on Twitter is very telling.

I understand what IG's do....and mostly observe that nothing much comes from their studies...how long has the VA report been out? and it took this administration to start firing some people as I recall.

But the AG is the boss in the DOJ and on personnel matters he should be heard and trusted...or get another AG.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I understand what IG's do....and mostly observe that nothing much comes from their studies...how long has the VA report been out? and it took this administration to start firing some people as I recall.

But the AG is the boss in the DOJ and on personnel matters he should be heard and trusted...or get another AG.

The AG recused himself; all the more reason to wait for the IG report thus providing cover for the firing.

Oh and IG recommendations from the VA have been acted on. Others recommendations require Congress to change the law.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Precisely.

Conversely, when Comey was investigating Hillary's emails and contributing to the ongoing view of her as being untrustworthy, he was just doing his job.  Now that he's holding Trump's feet a little too close to the fire, he needed to go.

Hypocrisy is not a partisan issue.

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

About time...and interesting that the same Dems who blame Comey for Trump's win in Nov are now mad that he has been fired.....that sure makes no sense....they ought to be happy to see him gone if they really believe that he affected the out come of the election.

He certainly deserved firing over the way he handled the Clinton investigation.  

But seriously, do you really think Trump fired him because of that?

If so, I have a bridge in Russia I'd like to sell you.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Instead of a jackass the Dems should adopt the waffle as their party symbol.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/10/comey-firing-prompts-leading-dems-to-do-180-degree-turn.html

How about a jackass with a waffle as a saddle?

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

So...about anyone close to the FBI knew the agency was in turmoil and the "investigation": had been going on for more than a year ....so how long do you wait...a day, a week, a year?   Many top Dems have been howling for him to go .... and now they love him....lol.

You are badly mistaken - if not delusional - you think Democratic criticism is based on their "love" of Comey.   

Archived