Our D is nasty this year! Here's some stats.

GwillMac6

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

To be fair and being alive long enough to see how Auburn works I would bet Jacobs and/or others NUDGED him to hire steele since his brother works in the AD. I give him full credit though for hiring boom.

So now JJ gets the credit for the D?  I thought he was the worst AD ever?  I just can't figure who these folks want to blame anymore

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of the people on the LSU boards are wishing for Les back. I'm really not trying to argue (I swear?). I'm still one of those who thinks the devil we don't know may be worse than the one we do know. And that's really all. I don't think Gus is all that. I would just really, really like to see him pull it out, so we don't have to start over; which would likely make our defense go backward since we may lose our coaches. That's all. I suck at arguing anyway!

12 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

And clemson

Even if Clempson runs up the score and yardage on us, we still look good when you play against a .500 FCS school and a bottom feeding Sunbelt school. 

Sure the D played great against them, but when you are 3 games into the season and 2 are trash teams, you shouldnt be proud you have better stats than teams that play actual competition. 

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The players gave up in 2014.  That is well documented.  And you love Steele so much, guess who brought in him.   Gus Malzahn.  And your other critique of letting go the controls of the offense was proven against Mercer.  I have a feeling you didn't watch the game the way you are ignoring how far Gus went out of the way to show everyone he was not calling plays.  Everyone, including al.com, saw this.  He was 30 yards from the line of scrimmage at all times, no clipboard, and his mic flipped up.  Gus is making all of the correct changes, and you need to start giving the man credit for what he has done right.  He is (slowly) becoming the CEO coach you want.  

The players did not give up in 2014. Giving up is what 2012 looks like. I give Gustav credit. He has never lost a team. He always get a lot of effort from his players. The 2014 Georgia game is the only game in the malzahn era we have been blown out truly in and had no chance.  I question though if those players on HIS SIDE of the ball are getting the proper coaching and put in the best position to succeed. I question if he did bring in steele. It smelled like a JJ hire at the time because of his brothers connections in the AD. LOL are you serious? I nor anyone on here miss a Auburn game. WE HEARD THE SAME THING last year and coming in to this year. It is one thing to give full control in the mercer game. Gus always yanks it back like it is well documented he did last year from Rhett when we were rolling. Gus just cannot get out of his own way.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

I have ligitimate issues with Gus, but Steele? He can be our DC forever. He's truthfully impressed me the last two seasons.

He said he would like to retire here so fingers crossed.  The bigger problem is retaining T-Will.  He will become highly sought after with the wonders he is doing.  RG I think will stay, but UGA said the same thing, although I think we have a better chance that comes true.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

He said he would like to retire here so fingers crossed.  The bigger problem is retaining T-Will.  He will become highly sought after with the wonders he is doing.  RG I think will stay, but UGA said the same thing, although I think we have a better chance that comes true.  

We will pay T-Will if teams start coming after him. He loves Auburn, the players love him, and he recruits well. 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well then I will say the same thing 23 and I have been saying all week:  It is a win-win for you.  If you are right, you get to rub it in my face.  If I win, you have a winning Auburn team.  I am willing to see how we do the next few weeks and am confident our team will continue to get better.  They key for me is, how healthy can we stay.

I would never rub it in your face. That is bad karma and luck PLUS I am gloating that Auburn sucks? No one wins there. No one wants that to happen.

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

From all that I have seen on Auburn everyday I have LOVED IT ALL from Mr. Kevin Steele!!! He is the PERFECT guy to lead our defense. He gets them fired up and they play so hard for him every week. Him and boom have fixed the tackling and toughness issues that plagued this team whole program since 2007. No more do we have to see Auburn trot out soft defenses. I love it!! This is the type of Auburn Defenses I grew up with in the tubs years.

This defense is as fundamentally sound as I have seen. They take great angles and play their assignment. They also arrive at the ball carrier with violence on their mind. I know we have to take care of Mizzou first but I'm pumped about getting the Hunchbacks in Jordan-Hare. The D will be lit and Mr Fitzgerald will be dazed and confused.  ?

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would never rub it in your face. That is bad karma and luck PLUS I am gloating that Auburn sucks? No one wins there. No one wants that to happen.

Fair enough.  For the record, I would not do that to you either.  I would never call anyone out specifically like that.  That's why I made that other thread and touched on it.  And earlier, I really was only trying to complement you man.  That's why I was so surprised you immediately started going after my loyalty.  

I remember how bad Auburn's defense for the last six years or so. Even in 2010 our defense was not the immovable object.

Thank goodness they have played well so far this season. I know two of the teams were Georgia Southern and Mercer. But I can remember when our defense couldn't stop much of anybody (remember Jacksonville St.)?

Even against Clemson the defense hung tough holding Clemson just 14 points and less than 300 yards offense.

It's a good thing Auburn's defense is playing as well as they are because I have feeling they will have to play well, and then some as the season goes on.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Fair enough.  For the record, I would not do that to you either.  I would never call anyone out specifically like that.  That's why I made that other thread and touched on it.  And earlier, I really was only trying to complement you man.  That's why I was so surprised you immediately started going after my loyalty.  

Because that is what we do!!! we go after the jugular with each other!!! we are oil and water and have totally different philosophies!!! haha.

11 hours ago, abw0004 said:

You can't say you are Auburn's biggest fan and not go to games. You just can't.  If you are the biggest fan, you find a way to go.  And don't watch other games when Auburn is on.  Your argument makes no sense at all.  Why do you think I based my business in Atlanta, instead of Charlotte where it was supposed to go?  Because I couldn't go to games if I did.  If you are as loyal, then actually go to the games.  Sit in that heat, rain, cold, to be there for your team.  It's easy to criticize a team from your couch and hiding in front of a laptop.   It's another to be there for those guys on that field busting their tails off.  

Dang, I always knew there was a way to turn my Auburness into being a conscientious objector.

"Sorry SGT, Can't deploy, I'll miss a game... if I miss a game I'm not a 'big fan' and if I'm not a big fan... what's my life about?"

:lol:

17 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Dang, I always knew there was a way to turn my Auburness into being a conscientious objector.

"Sorry SGT, Can't deploy, I'll miss a game... if I miss a game I'm not a 'big fan' and if I'm not a big fan... what's my life about?"

:lol:

Being a part of the military is completely separate from what I was talking about.  Please don't try to infer that was what being discussed because I have family that are in the military and I know what their duties are so I would never ever put them in the same boat.  I was referring to people who have a choice and choose not to invest the time, money, and energy into going.  Being a part of our military is completely different.

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Being a part of the military is completely separate from what I was talking about.  Please don't try to infer that was what being discussed because I have family that are in the military and I know what their duties are so I would never ever put them in the same boat.  I was referring to people who have a choice and choose not to invest the time, money, and energy into going.  Being a part of our military is completely different.

Maybe some people just dislike the stadium experience or don't have the money and energy to go? Or dislike being in large crowds?

48 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I was making a joke, though I was pissed we went undefeated my first year deployed. Only watched tapes of that '04 season.

Just now, Mims44 said:

I was making a joke, though I was pissed we went undefeated my first year deployed. Only watched tapes of that '04 season.

I had a feeling you were in the military.  That is why I wanted to make sure you knew I was not grouping you guys into my discussion.  Did not even cross my mind, and I apologize for any confusion my man.  In case you don't know, Military Appreciation weekend is Ole Miss.

21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

And all of that is fine, but one can't say they are Auburn's biggest and most loyal fan when they chose simply not to invest energy into going to games, which was the point of the discussion

Biggest, sure they can. The most loyal, maybe not. Some people just don't have the capabilities to go to the games. 

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I have only missed one home game in person over the last 7 years.

While that's impressive, I have to say that still doesn't mean you're no bigger of a fan than those that work unconventional work days or are too frail to make it to the games and have to listen on the radio, or watch on the tube. 

I am referring to people who simply chose not to go because they don't want to take the time to go to Auburn or would rather spend the money doing something else in their free time.

I feel like I'm a big Auburn fan, with that said, this is ridiculous. For one, I work Saturdays. Two, the comfort level isn't there and my blood pressure and anxiety rises in condensed crowds. Three, while I'm a fan, I just can't afford to go to all of the Auburn games. The ticket prices are up, concession prices are up, and the gas prices are up. Not to mention I'd have to hire my nanny for another day to watch my kids. 

I mean if you're saying you can go to 95% of the games for seven years in a row, that's great. Your constraints are obviously different for you. Doesn't have anything to do with fanhood though. I usually go once a year. By the time, I get back from my trip, it's 2am- 3am in the morning and I have to recover quickly for the next work week.

12 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Even if Clempson runs up the score and yardage on us, we still look good when you play against a .500 FCS school and a bottom feeding Sunbelt school. 

Sure the D played great against them, but when you are 3 games into the season and 2 are trash teams, you shouldnt be proud you have better stats than teams that play actual competition. 

You've made 4 posts and all 4 posts have been negative. Why are you here? Our defense was top 25 last year and have started off this season in the top 5. If you want to be negative about that then please see your way out. Thanks.

Okay why did you delete the rest of my post in your quote?  I said I was completely referring to being loyal, not the biggest fan

My bad, I could've sworn you were the one who said "biggest fan."

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Okay why did you delete the rest of my post in your quote?  I said I was completely referring to being loyal, not the biggest fan.  So this invalidates your whole post.  I am not talking about being the biggest fan.  My father and I also get in at 2:00 AM if it is a night game.  We don't stay the night.  Not until I can buy a gameday apartment.  Again, this all goes back to priorities and where Auburn falls.  Not being the biggest fan.  If you would rather spend your Saturdays doing something else, that's your call.  Does not mean you aren't a good fan, but you would not be able to say you are more loyal than those who do go to the games, which you greed with in a previous post.  That's all I am trying to say.

Look, if you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to PM me.  This has nothing to do with the OP.  And this issue was laid to rest last night, so I don't know why you wanted to open it back up again.  It was a conversation between me an Gwill.

The number of games attended has nothing to do with loyalty to the school regardless of why people can or cannot make it to the games. That is the wrong criteria in my opinion to gauge loyalty from. There are plenty other ways to be just as or more loyal to Auburn and never step foot in the stadium.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Please see below for my full post.  I addressed that, and you chose to leave that out of your quote of me.  I then went back to my other posts and removed "biggest fan" because I agreed with you.  

Unlike many on this forum, I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong.  And you made a good point, that I agreed with.

You make good points as well. I don't particularly agree with the loyalty part but I cannot deny it either. Like wdefromtx, I think there has to be other ways to gauge it. 

Archived