read-option offense

WDG

5 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Sure would be nice to run a more potent style of offense that can actually attack matchups in the red zone.... Like every other competent offense in the game. 

"Lets see if this works" seems to be our cutting edge redzone philosophy. 

We did run a read option against mercer where JS kept it. Overall, he didn't make a bad read, but he was too slow getting outside.  

https://youtu.be/6KPs6QKUmyI?t=2m39s

This is why we don't run read options with him. 

And why I don't consider him a duel threat. 

9 minutes ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

We did run a read option against mercer where JS kept it. Overall, he didn't make a bad read, but he was too slow getting outside.  

Yeah I agree. 

15 minutes ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

I hope he still might be a "dual" threat. If he's a "duel" threat the dude is going to get seriously injured and then our qbs situation is really in a tough spot, lol ?

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I hope he still might be a "dual" threat. If he's a "duel" threat the dude is going to get seriously injured and then our qbs situation is really in a tough spot, lol ?

haha oops! Yes, let's keep him out of duels on and off the field. 

6 hours ago, tgr4lfe said:

Stidham has enough speed and agility to be a threat to run, but the biggest problem as @bigbird said it not actually running it.  Stidham is being told to give it, instead of actually making a read.  My guess is they are scared of injury and/or turnover.  

I respectfully disagree. He can get people to probably respect that he will pull it, but I would hardly call him a threat E.G Bo Wallace. He could pull it if he had too, but it was definitely not anything you should lose sleep over.

32 minutes ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

Exactly, I saw that too and that's all I needed to see. He has no lateral quickness. He has straight away speed if he gets going but he also has to have a wide open hole. He isn't making anyone miss. @AU64 has proven to be right.

There is no way we would run the true inside zone-read with the IZR blocking scheme (keeping the backside DE unblocked) and not read and just hand off.

Why? Because if a defense is playing the IZR against a team with a good RB and a QB who is not a running threat, they will force the QB keep by telling the unblocked DE to take the RB. If the QB handed it off without the backside DE being blocked, the backside DE is going to tackle the RB for little to no gain.

However, the IZR came from the standard zone run. In that play, the backside DE is blocked. If we make the handoff look like a mesh, and have the QB fake a run, it is to make it look like an IZR to the CBs, etc., to keep them from concentrating exclusively on the RB.

The idea of running an option play with option blocking but intentionally handing it off may make sense late in the game when we know how the defense is responding, and we did that with NM some because defenses were playing the QB run, but it makes no sense early in the game when you have no idea what a defense is going to do. I think we are seeing called zone runs, not called zone options.

9 hours ago, WDG said:

Why no long runs? Can Jarret Stidman run a read-option offense? This to me is what is missing the opposing defenses are not expecting JS to run. Last game he proved he can throw but to get the offense clicking the opossing defenders are going to have to respect that QB can run. 

Read this, along with everything else Chris Brown has written on constraint plays:

Why Every Team Should Apply the Constraint Theory of Offense

You run a play like a zone read option with a QB who is not a running QB to keep the defense honest. Stidham does not make long runs because he slides instead of taking on tacklers, like Cam, or juking them, like Nick. But he still can get a number of yards. For Nick Marshall, a pass play was a constraint play. For Sean White and Jarrett Stidham, a QB keeper or QB draw is a constraint play.

Archived