Heisman Trophy

AUApostle

A pocket passer under Gus will NEVER win the heisman unless we finally do what we should of done to the start with this years team which is throw the ball more than we run. This team strengths is passing the ball. Gus seems to be loosening the reigns on chip as far as running the offense the way he wants to but 16 pass attempts is still very low in modern college football. Our RBs are hurt. Well the ones gus insists on playing. Throw the dang ball more gus. If you insist on playing 2 guys who are clearly not right at least help them out and not try to run them in the ground even more. The only game so far I have seen a consistent intermediate passing game is mercer. Like WTF?! Why do you throw everything at frickin mercer and not the big boys on the schedule? If we try that crap gameplan against the big boy defenses of the SEC we had at clemson where we only throw a screen or long well then gus has no one to blame but himself for the losses that will come with that.

Stidham will not win the Heisman unfortunately during his career at Auburn.  Why?  Because in Malzahn’s system, Malzahn wants his RBs to score in the red zone this season he wants KJ to score.  So unless he starts throwing 60-70 yard bombs that go for TDs and does this like a lot, he’s not even in the top 20 right now.  Fades and Sal Canella are surprisingly absent in the red zone.  

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Wow, you got snarky fast.  I was honestly asking if you had seen the guy before commenting on how the media is anointing him.  But I guess this is what happens when someone posts back calling your premise out by using stats.

As for your dozen other guys doing it comments, not really.  He leads the NCAA in All Purpose Yards per game, and of anyone in the top three, his yard distribution is by far the most balanced, meaning he is affecting the game in multiple facets.  But don't let the facts get in the way here (see link below for list).

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/20

And if you must know, I watch games from 11 am until well past midnight every week.  It's a sickness.

Haven't seen anyone mention Lamar for a 2nd heisman...

He won it last year with worse passing stats, the only thing he isn't on pace for the same or better is rushing TDs... and really he's only a couple breakout games away from being at that too.

BTW: that's not a sickness, I watch CFB till Auburns game is done each week. If Auburn wins I keep watching more games... If Auburn loses a I pop in an ancient NCAA football game and beat up on the computer while drinking a beer and telling myself how much better of a HC I am than Gus.

20 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It will be hard even next year, as long as GM wants to shove the ball down opponents throats. He is not a DT QB that Gus can really utilize like Willis. Stidham can keep them honest at times with a run, but he is not going to be called upon much to run the HUNH and the RPO.

You don't need a DT QB to run HUNH or RPOs. RPOs don't just involve the QB having the option to throw the ball or run it himself; it generally involves him making a choice once the ball is snapped to hand it to a RB or throw a play action pass to a receiver on a slant or screen type of pass. Therefore, any QB can do it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen us do this yet and I'm hoping we'll see those wrinkles soon because they can be very effective. The Cowboys do it with Dak Prescott quite often.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Wow, you got snarky fast.  I was honestly asking if you had seen the guy before commenting on how the media is anointing him.  But I guess this is what happens when someone posts back calling your premise out by using stats.

As for your dozen other guys doing it comments, not really.  He leads the NCAA in All Purpose Yards per game, and of anyone in the top three, his yard distribution is by far the most balanced, meaning he is affecting the game in multiple facets.  But don't let the facts get in the way here (see link below for list).

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/20

And if you must know, I watch games from 11 am until well past midnight every week.  It's a sickness.

All purpose yards is a nice cherry picked stat - almost worked for Christian McCaffrey too against mid to low level teams. Almost. But you're right, RB Barkley doesn't have a dozen guys with more rushing yards nationally than him - just eight. (Love the "Iowa may be 3-2 now but they were 3-0 and therefore better when Saquon played against them" logic). Speaking of Stanford, their RB Bryce Love has almost twice as many rushing yards as Barkley. The thing you have to understand about the Heisman is the sports media laches on to a player or two or three early in the season and will fight tooth and nail on behalf of that player until they simply look silly doing it. Saquon may be a legit contender and it's not just how good a player is in a given year - it's how good other candidates are and if the school promotes them in the first place. Just don't act like questioning the competition Barkley's done it against so far is anything to write home about.

Stidham has a shot next year if he stays. Don't forget the RB from  Stanford this year. He is killing it now. If he is able to continue this, he will have a chance to set an NCAA rushing record.

This system won't allow it nor should he care. Needs to be working towards the ultimate goal which is continuously becoming polished for a professional career.

Archived