Why Gus will Absolutely be our Coach Next Season.

CoffeeTiger

5 hours ago, AUBourne said:

So if Nebraska hires Frost one week after the regular season ends you think AU could still go after him?  I don't see that happening.  I only use Frost as an example as there are many coaches and assistants I would be happy with.  But timing is crucial in this process. 

Frost would be smart not to go to Neb. job is not what it use to be. Very hard to recruit elite players that are needed. Also same thing for UT imo. He would be better off wait one year cause the UF job may come open and he loves to recruit Fl.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if Gus the Great will be back or not. When I think of our last two head coaches, Chiz and Gus the Great, I don't have a lot of confidence in the PTB making a great hire.

18 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I doubt Gus will be here next year. 

I think I'd be more pissed if he beat UGA and bama...that means he wasted an awesome year by needlessly losing to LSU.

If I was AD for a day and had absolute power, I would make Al Borges our interim HC. I believe he has seen enough and had more than the commensurate experience under various programs to mesh the pieces together successfully. Lindsey just might be a very good OC if given a chance. This would give us time to transition at a controllable pace. Who knows, Borges just might be successful enough going forward. Look how our previous OC is doing at Conn. They are setting records for offense up there after going through several losing seasons. 

5 hours ago, metafour said:

This isn't accurate.  UAT lucked out because Saban wanted to go back to College badly, so they were simply there at the right place at the right time.  You think that if he was still at LSU at the time that they could have convinced him to come to in-the-dumps Alabama? No chance.

The landscape in college has changed in the sense that almost everyone has money now; so the idea of pulling guys from good programs to come into your rebuilding situation simply isn't realistic, hence why bigger programs than Auburn have resorted to hiring coordinators and "unproven" guys in recent years.

I didn’t say just money. I also said you had to be willing to give him the control they want to. But I promise you walk up to Pete Carroll with a five year contract for 60 million, he’ll sign. Do you want to do that? That’s the question. I think the idea that Saben was desperate in wanting to come back to college was crap. Alabama made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. In fact two years ago he was wanting to leave Alabama and they responded by making him another offer he couldn’t refuse. I think that the big thing is folks that think there is no one to challenge him but they are wrong. He found that out quickly when he went pro . But the lesson he learned was if you brought the same structure from the pros back to college you could have a huge advantage over the others. It’s not just about the price of the coach, but what he wants to spend on assistants, staff. Heck he has motivational folks, counselers he probably even has folks that make sure to have all the right foods a particular rercruit might want during a visit. He not only has staff that review all the films on other teams but also review from a third part films of his team. He probably employed twice what Auburn does. It all legal but it cost money. That’s what brought him back, because uat committed to spend whatever he needed to win. That’s the kind of commitment AU has to make.

15 hours ago, doverstutts said:

:hammerin:

That was meant to be a tongue in cheek statement. I guess it did not come across that way. Sorry...I do not blame you for the head beating!

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I think I'd be more pissed if he beat UGA and bama...that means he wasted an awesome year by needlessly losing to LSU.

possible but not likely. The powers that be that hired the last 2 coaches is JJ. He had the power then to do so. He is a lame cluck of sorts!

Archived