100 Dang Good Reasons to Live in Alabama

Guest Tigrinum Major
Outside of states that actually have the counties printed on the plates, Alabama is the only state I know of where you can look at the plate and get an idea where they're from.

150487[/snapback]

Louisiana also had a similiar system ten years ago, but I don't know if they still do. It was combinations of letters at the begiining of the tag number.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tigrinum Major

101. Auburn, sweet Auburn, lovliest village of the Plains

102. military personnel given respect

103. more baseball fields than soccer fields

104. catching tadpoles and crawfish in the summer

105. pine trees

106. everyone recognizes that food just tastes better fried

107. old barns with Coca Cola signs on the side

108. still have full service gas stations (you just have to hunt them out)

109. Friday night lights

110. Lakes Martin and Guntersville

I can name 2 reasons not to live here:

1. Its full of christian republican conservatives who think God will run the state of alabama by himself.

2. Its the bible belt....good luck minorities (political, gays, race)

Guest Tigrinum Major

1.  Its full of christian republican conservatives who think God will run the state of alabama by himself.

2.  Its the bible belt....good luck minorities (political, gays, race)

150773[/snapback]

Don't let the doorknob hit you in the butt on the way out. :poke:

You complain about the abuse you get from people on here and you post something like that?!?!?!?!? Surely you realize that will get some people fired up.

Potato salad at every family event- reunions, Sunday dinner, funerals etc.

150737[/snapback]

Potato salad AND deviled eggs at every event PERIOD. And the deviled eggs have to be served on either your great gramma's deviled egg plate, or one of those Tupperware deviled egg plates, with a piece of masking tape with your last name written on it stuck to the lid...

150761[/snapback]

I know what you are talking about, my mom has one of those and I guess when she goes off to that big back porch in the sky I will get that deviled egg plate, my sister could care less about them. Other things that are great about living in Alabama, little old ladies that can bake some of the best cakes,pies,cobblers etc. in the world. Ain't and yall are two words that are just Southern and there is nothing wrong with saying it in causual conversation. Old shotguns in the closet that haven't been used in decades but they have a little story behind them. Sometimes the best lunch is some bologna,cheese, and crackers with a little hot sauce.

1.  Its full of christian republican conservatives who think God will run the state of alabama by himself.

150773[/snapback]

Well bless your heart.

Unlike Houston, You can FEEL the "NIP" in Alabama! ! ! :D

Okay - deviled egg question - with or without paprika on top?

I say without. If you want color, add pimiento - otherwise, leave the colors as God intended. Yellow and white, with a touch of green from the pickle relish.

Unlike Houston, You can FEEL the "NIP" in Alabama! ! !  :D

150789[/snapback]

Bite me. As much as I like NIP, NIP eventually gives way to downright FREAKIN' COLD. Unlike Alabama, I can wear sandals pratically year round, thereby showing off my cute toes in their perfect pedicure without sock lint in the toe jam, something that is hard to do in Alabama during the winter. Getting pedicures every three or four weeks all year round is just not a bad thing... :yes:B)

I don't know Jenny, I like mine with paprika.

I do agree with you on the NIP however, but remember WE had snow on Cristmas Eve. :blink: And I don't live that far down the road from you.

WDE

Now about this:

34. more books and songs written about Alabama than any other state

I ain't so sure about this one, the Texicans over here would argue BIG time over this.

However ain't no song about Texas comes close to "SWEET HOME ALABAMA"

YEAH BUDDY. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

150773[/snapback]

how in the world do you find time to study when you are whining 24/7?

Now about this:

34. more books and songs written about Alabama than any other state

I ain't so sure about this one, the Texicans over here would argue BIG time over this.

However ain't no song about Texas comes close to  "SWEET HOME ALABAMA"

YEAH BUDDY.  :cheer:   :cheer:   :cheer:

150842[/snapback]

I don't think Idaho or North Dakota or Vermont could :poke::no::lol::homer::blink:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Okay - deviled egg question - with or without paprika on top?

I say without.  If you want color, add pimiento - otherwise, leave the colors as God intended.  Yellow and white, with a touch of green from the pickle relish.

150826[/snapback]

I say without. I find it pretentious. If you are worried about the color of your food, you are just not my kind of people and probably are an Alabama fan.

As a traditionalist, I prefer my deviled eggs to be yellow and white. A cook that has to sprinkle paprika on everything is trying to cover something up. Ain't nothin' worse than a yankee'ed up deviled egg!!

Also, the perfect deviled eggs have to have crumbled bacon in them. REAL FRIED BACON, not that bottled fake stuff. The filling can't be runny either. Us evil, God fearing, minority hating Republicans can't have soupy deviled egg filling dripping all over our bibles!! ;)

As a traditionalist, I prefer my deviled eggs to be yellow and white. A cook that has to sprinkle paprika on everything is trying to cover something up. Ain't nothin' worse than a yankee'ed up deviled egg!!

Also, the perfect deviled eggs have to have crumbled bacon in them. REAL FRIED BACON, not that bottled fake stuff. The filling can't be runny either. Us evil, God fearing, minority hating Republicans can't have soupy deviled egg filling dripping all over our bibles!!  ;)

150870[/snapback]

If you want a different twist, sprinkle Cajun seasoning or cayenne pepper instead of paprika.

I don't think I have ever had bacon bits in deviled eggs before, it sounds interesting.

No one has mentioned this, do you use dill pickle or sweet pickle relish?

Also, the perfect deviled eggs have to have crumbled bacon in them. REAL FRIED BACON, not that bottled fake stuff. The filling can't be runny either. Us evil, God fearing, minority hating Republicans can't have soupy deviled egg filling dripping all over our bibles!!  ;)

150870[/snapback]

Bacon in deviled eggs? Dang, what's your cholesterol? :lol: I agree that the paprika is kind of Yankee-fied. They always think they can improve on something that just don't need fixin'!!! And I HATE HATE HATE runny deviled eggs - that means you either used too much mayo, or they have been sitting out too long and you shouldn't eat them anyway.

If you want a different twist, sprinkle Cajun seasoning or cayenne pepper instead of paprika.

I don't think I have ever had bacon bits in deviled eggs before, it sounds interesting. 

150879[/snapback]

Sweet pickle relish. To me, the dill pickle makes them a tad too tart for my taste.

Try the bacon. You'll never eat them again without it in there. Crumble it up good and mix it in with everything else.

Bacon in deviled eggs? Dang, what's your cholesterol?  I agree that the paprika is kind of Yankee-fied. They always think they can improve on something that just don't need fixin'!!! And I HATE HATE HATE runny deviled eggs - that means you either used too much mayo, or they have been sitting out too long and you shouldn't eat them anyway.

That's where the broccoli comes in. I eat enough of it to counter any bad stuff I eat. Last time I had it checked, my cholesterol level was 61.

My wife only lets me eat deviled eggs 2 times a year, on my birthday and at Thanksgiving. Whenever I'm back home though, momma always sneaks me a batch or two when the wife is out visiting her relatives. :big:

150879[/snapback]

I am sure my corndog's family probably sprinkles Tony Sachere's on their eggs, but I can't ever remember my m-i-l making any. They all have cholesterol issues.

And it HAS to be sweet pickle relish - you also put sweet pickle in potato salad and chicken salad. Dill pickle indeed!!! :no:

Guest Tigrinum Major
I am sure my corndog's family probably sprinkles Tony Sachere's on their eggs, but I can't ever remember my m-i-l making any.  They all have cholesterol issues.

150898[/snapback]

If there is one thing that Louisiana got right, it's food. I grew up next to a family that was originally from LA and they introduced me to Tony Sachere's at an early age. It is good on any kind of meat or vegetable. My son, who just turned 11, insists on a little Tony's on his eggs. His mother cringes.

101. 1/2 the Florabama is here

102. My friend Grady didn't realize the South lost the war until his 20's

103. Colonel Dixie hamburgers with chilli on them.

150908[/snapback]

You must be from Mobile. Colonel Dixie makes some pretty dang good hot dogs as well. :D

101. 1/2 the Florabama is here

102. My friend Grady didn't realize the South lost the war until his 20's

150908[/snapback]

The South lost the war, but the North didn't cover the spread. Little known fact.

Paprika is "red" (dark pink) , thus , it can't possibly be a good thing.

Leave it off ! ! ! :D

Archived