• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• print
  • email
  •  
'UNFINISHED BUSINESS': AUBURN QUARTERBACK JARRETT STIDHAM TO RETURN
13046051.jpeg
After leading Auburn to an SEC West title in 2017, Jarrett Stidham will return for his junior season. Photo: Zach Bland/Auburn Athletics
Jan. 5, 2018

By Jeff Shearer
AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. - Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham will return for his junior season after leading the Tigers to an SEC Western Division title in 2017.

“I feel like coming back and being at Auburn is going to be the best thing for me,” Stidham said Friday evening.

“I feel like there is a lot of unfinished business for me,” he said. “This year, we were really close to being where we wanted to be as a team. I didn’t like that taste in my mouth. I want to come back and finish what we started.”

Stidham reached his decision after an elk hunting excursion in Texas.

“I went on the elk hunt to get away from everything,” said Stidham, who completed 66.5 percent of his passes as a sophomore. “It’s been a long five months since we started fall camp. I wanted to reflect on everything and figure out what was best for me and my future.”

Stidham threw for 3,158 yards and 18 touchdowns this season, only the second 3,000-yard passing season in Auburn history.

“I’ve got to raise my level in all areas for the betterment of the team, for the betterment of myself,” he said. “And hopefully it feeds off to everybody else, and we can continue to get better and win a lot of football games.” 

spacer.gif

Stidham credited Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey with assisting his development.

“They’ve been great,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot of football in my time at Auburn. I learned a lot from both of them. Now that I’ve gotten to be with them for a year and they’ve been with me for a year and we understand each other really well, I think it’s only going to help.”

With his performance and personality, Stidham quickly became a fan favorite.

“The Auburn fans, the Auburn family, they’re about as good as it can get,” Stidham said. “I’m excited to play in front of them and give them everything that I have. It’s all about the fans and giving back to them. I’m excited about it. My family is excited about it. We’re all in and we’re ready to do this thing even bigger next year.”

20 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

A huge chunk of my Love was towards his personality...and cuz he’s hilarious on Twitter. The fact that he was awesome on the field didn’t hurt either...

I digress...looking forward to watching JS evolve as a leader!!!

ain't that the truth!!!! He was like Auburns very own social media ambassador!!! Well said.

This makes me happy! I like Stidham. He would not have done this unless he loved AU. Nice quote from him. I am looking forward to spring and next year. Bottom line is this really helps our QB position and transition into Gatewood, the kid from Roswell, who may be good too and hopefully our 2018 legacy, Nix.

with the group of receivers we have and have coming in (Shwartz comes to mind), he has what could develop into the best receiving corps in the SEC by mid season or earlier. I think we will see more passing in 2018 with enough running to make the Gus show come to life like we want it to.

Whew.  The last few days have NOT been the best of times for Auburn fans, so news like this is exactly what was needed.

Obviously I hope it works out in the best interests of Auburn, but I really hope JS not only stays healthy but dramatically increases his draft stock.  I saw a few Mocks where he was a mid 3rd-Rounder.  

I suppose if this time next season there is talk of him being a Top 5 pick that would mean some GREAT things for the 2018 Auburn Tigers as well.

Good news but count me among the unsurprised...other than perhaps being surprised this was ever even a serious consideration for a guy who does not appear to have financial issues. 

Smart decision. IMO.

I am one of those who would have been surprised if he left this year considering all the QBs who will be in this year’s draft. Glad he’s sticking with the good guys for at least one more year!

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

with the group of receivers we have and have coming in (Shwartz comes to mind), he has what could develop into the best receiving corps in the SEC by mid season or earlier. I think we will see more passing in 2018 with enough running to make the Gus show come to life like we want it to.

Gonna be a lot like 09, only with a better QB and more wins imo. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don’t know how I feel about this, mainly because I don’t expect the offense to evolve whatsoever. If we run that gimmick design again...well

I think it evolved this season, until who ever game planed the last 2. 

We saw different routes and different formations late in the season. 

shrugs......i never thought he was not coming back. as good as he is he can still elevate his game. i am confident he knew that before his hunting trip.AND with chip beginning year two i believe we can up our game.

Glad he's coming back. Needs to work on finding open receivers and getting rid of the ball more effectively.
Also Ryan "Screen Machine" Davis must me happy!

13 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This makes me happy! I like Stidham. He would not have done this unless he loved AU. Nice quote from him. I am looking forward to spring and next year. Bottom line is this really helps our QB position and transition into Gatewood, the kid from Roswell, who may be good too and hopefully our 2018 legacy, Nix.

As long as Malik Willis is on the roster Gatewood won't see any playing time. 

3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

As long as Malik Willis is on the roster Gatewood won't see any playing time. 

You sound pretty certain of this. What makes you so confident in Willis?

Archived