Mural on JHS

Jenny AU-92

Okay, we kind of started this topic by hijacking tombigbee's thread, so I thought I would give it it's own space:

Fact: Tater Tot appears twice in the mural on the side of JHS.

Question: What do we do about it?

Option A: Leave him alone. Sure, he'a Tater Tot with Bill Clinton issues, but he still brought us an undefeated season and is part of Tiger football history. The fact that he beat bammer is reason enough to have him up there.

Option B. Sandblast the hell out of his picture and replace him with a giant Tater Tot. Seriously, he is a total jerk who shamed the University - he needs to come off, but the part with the players and the team should definitely remain.

Thoughts?

I'll go with what I said yesterday... I wouldn't mind seeing only 1 of him up there because of all the crap that he did to hurt AU, but he did lead us to an undefeated season so I don't think he should be totally removed. I do want to see the '04 team up there soon.

All kidding aside, Tot had some great moments at AU and deserves to be recognized for it. He turned out to be a bust and his relationship with AU in general became completely adversarial. But 20-1-1 in your first 2 years and beating Alabama every year at home is worth something.

I am by no means trying to put Tot up there with Dye, but while CPD put AU back on the map, his tenure ended with AU getting slammed by the NCAA. We will always recognize Pat Dye as one of the great all-time AU coaches.

As irritating as it is to look at any depiction of CTB, he deserves at least one place on the mural.

Fact:  Tater Tot appears twice in the carved mural on the side of JHS.

150541[/snapback]

What carved mural? You're not talking about the pictures along the east side of the stadium are you?

Fact:  Tater Tot appears twice in the carved mural on the side of JHS.

150541[/snapback]

What carved mural? You're not talking about the pictures along the east side of the stadium are you?

150548[/snapback]

yeah - carved, pictures, paintings, whatever - you all know what I mean. :rolleyes:

I say leave it, removing it now would only resulting more bad press for AU. The only way I would say to change it would be to change them all. Then if his were left out for a picture of another then nothing could be said by those whose only reason for running their mouth is to take another shot and run down AU.

Replace him with a picture of CTT. He just went 13-0. The best record for a season in :au: history

Or you can do it the Auburn way. Replace him with advertisement :poke:

1993 was one of the greatest seasons in Auburn History. Everyone associated with that team deserves a place on that mural. (Can you tell 1993 was my senior year??)

Now, I can wait to see the 2004 Team mural.

I say take it down...At the time those were put up I think tot was thought of as the next big thing in Auburn history....turns out that was a flop.

Maybe if we put up a 2004 mural, that will jinx Tubs. Hmm.... Nah, I say let's take our chances, this team deserved it.

Okay, we kind of started this topic by hijacking tombigbee's thread, so I thought I would give it it's own space:

Fact:  Tater Tot appears twice in the mural on the side of JHS.

Question:  What do we do about it?

Option A:  Leave him alone.  Sure, he'a Tater Tot with Bill Clinton issues, but he still brought us an undefeated season and is part of Tiger football history.  The fact that he beat bammer is reason enough to have him up there.

Option B.  Sandblast the hell out of his picture and replace him with a giant Tater Tot.  Seriously, he is a total jerk who shamed the University - he needs to come off, but the part with the players and the team should definitely remain.

Thoughts?

150541[/snapback]

Leave it...they'll change it some day on their own anyway...more than likely...just for the sake of change.

I say leave it alone! This isn't "1984" or the Stalinist Soviet Union, where we try to re-write history by destroying pictures of those who have fallen into disfavor. [Nor ancient Egypt, where references to dishonored Pharoahs were chiseled off the monuments.] Someone at one time or another thought TB was worthy of the honor--and after all, he is one of only three coaches to have undefeated seasons at Auburn.

On the other hand, this should also be a lesson to those who are tempted to jump prematurely into honoring a particular hero of the moment before history has had time to objectively review his/her proper significance.

I worry about similar rushes to judgement in adding new monuments to the National Mall in D.C. I've heard proposals or suggestions from various people about adding monuments to several recent presidents--including Kennedy, Reagan (and even from some, George W. Bush already!)--as well as Martin Luther King, Jr. Perhaps history will ultimate judge some of these as being worth of such an honor, but I don't think the generation that knew them should make that decision. Are any of these really close in stature to Washington, Lincoln, or Jefferson? Only time and history can make such judgements in a fair, objective manner. [And yes, while I personally think FDR was probably our 4th greatest president for leading this nation through it's worst economic times and most horrible war, I also think his recently opened monument was a bit too soon.]

Obviously, a football coach on the walls of Jordan-Hare is hardly in the same pantheon as the aforenamed national leaders, but I think a school should at least wait until his death or well into his retirement before making such a permanent statement. I have no doubt the Tommy Tuberville is more deserving of honor at Auburn than Tater Tot, but I wouldn't support any permanent monument to CTT until well after he retires. [And I am also confident that he WILL get his due respect at the proper time.]

quietfan,

Congrats, you are the new king of melodrama. We're talking college football here, not global politics.  ;)

150657[/snapback]

Point taken,

but I thought in the state of Alabama, college football was MORE important than global politics--it's a religion! :D

I say leave it alone!  This isn't "1984" or the Stalinist Soviet Union, where we try to re-write history by destroying pictures of those who have fallen into disfavor.  [Nor ancient Egypt, where references to dishonored Pharoahs were chiseled off the monuments.]  Someone at one time or another thought TB was worthy of the honor--and after all, he is one of only three coaches to have undefeated seasons at Auburn.

On the other hand, this should also be a lesson to those who are tempted to jump prematurely into honoring a particular hero of the moment before history has had time to objectively review his/her proper significance. 

I worry about similar rushes to judgement in adding new monuments to the National Mall in D.C.  I've heard proposals or suggestions from various people about adding monuments to several recent presidents--including Kennedy, Reagan (and even from some, George W. Bush already!)--as well as Martin Luther King, Jr.  Perhaps history will ultimate judge some of these as being worth of such an honor, but I don't think the generation that knew them should make that decision.   Are any of these really close in stature to Washington, Lincoln, or Jefferson? Only time and history can make such judgements in a fair, objective manner.  [And yes, while I personally think FDR was probably our 4th greatest president for leading this nation through it's worst economic times and most horrible war, I also think his recently opened monument was a bit too soon.]

Obviously, a football coach on the walls of Jordan-Hare is hardly in the same pantheon as the aforenamed national leaders,  but I think a school should at least wait until his death or well into his retirement before making such a permanent statement.  I have no doubt the Tommy Tuberville is more deserving of honor at Auburn than Tater Tot, but I wouldn't support any permanent monument to CTT until well after he retires.  [And I am also confident that he WILL get his due respect at the proper time.]

150653[/snapback]

Yeah......what he said! :big:

:au::homer:

i agree w/ QF...neither kennedy, reagan or bush belong in auburn's mural.

150816[/snapback]

..but how about Gerald Ford on Michigan's? :rolleyes::P

I think Tot did too much for Auburn for AU to treat him like they (we) did. He deserves to have a continuing presence in the history of AU football.

I still believe he would have brought us back had we stayed with him. That said, I think he should have finished the season whether he got canned or not.

Now that he is gone, I do like CTT much better.

I say taking him down is kind of like MLB keeping Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame. Pete should be in for what he did on the field not kept out for what he did later. Terry Bowden had one of the best starts ever in all of College football and therefore he is part of Auburn. Lets just forget how it all ended.

P.S. O.J. Simpson is still in the football hall of fame and he "allegedly" killed two people.

Archived