AOL Take away ALL privacy...

Streyeder

"AOL has posted new terms of service for AIM, that include the right for AOL to use anything and everything you send through AIM in any way they see fit, without informing you. A sample passage: '...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy.'"

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/11/23592...&tid=158&tid=17

Careful what you say, or switch to a different protocol. I'm seriously considering leaving AIM until this is changed.

I can't remeber the last time I used AIM or any other instant messenger service. I think the last person I talked to on it was five years ago when I first started dating my wife and I did that sparingly. I quite using it because I got tired of people I did not know wanting to chat. I hate chatting on the internet! In only used it when I was on dial up and if somebody was trying to call me, they could get online and IM me. I would rather pick up the phone and talk. However, my wife uses it alot to chat with her mom in Las Vegas and her sister in Knoxville, so I'll need to let her know about that.

I recently had a couple of IM converstions with Titan regarding installing XP and Office XP on a laptop that had an outdated system and software on it. A couple of days after that I got an e-mail from someone trying to sell me XP and Office XP from overseas. Titan suggested that it was probably coincidental spam.

Now I am thinking differently about it... <_<

I use MSN Messenger sparingly for some chat between about 5 friends on this board.

Strey, this is nothing new. AOL has had this policy, written or not for years.

I googled keystroke recorders for AIM and got 18.5k in hits. In other words, AIM is for those that want to have every bit of personal knowledge out on the web.

AIM is a Freebie with spyware in it so that AOL can combine it all and sell the DB to anyone on wht you like and where you go on the web.

AOL signs you up for free, and then makes millions off selling your data off AIM.

AOL just needs to hurry up and die. :thumbsup:

So if you don't use MSN, AOL, or Yahoo, what other IM service could you use?

AOL just needs to hurry up and die.  :thumbsup:

So if you don't use MSN, AOL, or Yahoo, what other IM service could you use?

150612[/snapback]

Jabber & Gadu-Gadu.

What is still nice is that if you use Trillian and you chat with another person using Trillian, the chat is encrypted (for AIM and ICQ). :) Glad I turned many of my friends onto it long ago.

Jabber & Gadu-Gadu.

What is still nice is that if you use Trillian and you chat with another person using Trillian, the chat is encrypted (for AIM and ICQ). :) Glad I turned many of my friends onto it long ago.

150629[/snapback]

No, not client, what service? Gaim is the best client anyway.

Is it just the big 4: MSN, AOL, Yahoo, and ICQ?

I recently had a couple of IM converstions with Titan regarding installing XP and Office XP on a laptop that had an outdated system and software on it.  A couple of days after that I got an e-mail from someone trying to sell me XP and Office XP from overseas.  Titan suggested that it was probably coincidental spam.

Now I am thinking differently about it... <_<

150597[/snapback]

Actually, that was on MSN, not AOHell.

Jabber & Gadu-Gadu.

150629[/snapback]

No, not client, what service? Gaim is the best client anyway.

Is it just the big 4: MSN, AOL, Yahoo, and ICQ?

150632[/snapback]

Trillian owns GAIM.

Jabber and Gadu Gadu are protocols. ICQ and AIM now are interoperable. (ICQ was bought by AOhelL long ago.

By the way, for Mac users, Adium is the client to use for all your IM needs. It supports MSN, AOHell, Yahoo, Jabber, Gadu Gadu and others. It uses LibGaim to access most messaging services.

By the way, for Mac users, Adium is the client to use for all your IM needs.  It supports MSN, AOHell, Yahoo, Jabber, Gadu Gadu and others.  It uses LibGaim to access most messaging services.

150696[/snapback]

I love Adium for OSX. I have it loaded up on my gf's comp. I got the nice "eye of Sauron" icon to boot!

AOL changed their mind after the bad press:

"AOL has responded to the recent slashdot  attention. America Online Inc. plans to make three small but significant modifications to the terms of service for its AIM instant messaging product to head off a firestorm of privacy-related criticisms. The tweaks to the terms of service will be made in the section titled "Content You Post" and will explicitly exclude user-to-user chat sessions from the privacy rights an AIM user gives up to AOL."

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/15/18020...tid=158&tid=120

Good news for all! :)

Archived