U.S. Senate Resolution

Jenny AU-92

Thanks to Senator Shelby.

Link to Congressional Record

TRIBUTE TO UNDEFEATED AUBURN UNIVERSITY TIGERS -- (Senate - February 09, 2005)

Mr. SHELBY. Mr. President, I rise today to pay tribute to the undefeated 2004 Auburn University football team. The Auburn Tigers went 13-0 this season winning both the Southeastern Conference Championships and the Nokia Sugar Bowl. They finished the season tied for the best record in the land and, in my opinion, made a strong case for a national championship.

The Auburn Tigers finished the season ranked first in the Nation in scoring defense and fifth in the Nation in total defense. They also won four games over Associated Press top 10 teams--the most of any Division I team during the 2004 season.

While many Auburn players and coaches received individual accolades throughout the season, I believe that their dedication to extraordinary teamwork is an enduring tribute more impressive than any trophy or award. Saturday after Saturday, this team came prepared to play their hearts out and leave it all on the field. As the weeks passed, it became apparent to anyone watching that their efforts were more about a team, a brotherhood, and a community focused on victory than on individual accomplishments. The dedication, hard work, and focus of these players and their coaches are undeniable.

Individually, Auburn's players accomplished great things. Four Auburn players earned All-America honors: offensive tackle Marcus McNeill, defensive back Carlos Rogers, safety Junior Rosegreen, and running back Carnell Williams. Two freshmen, Stanley McClover and Quenton Groves, earned Freshman All-America honors, and Carlos Rogers won the Jim Thorpe Award, which is presented to the Nation's top defensive back. Senior quarterback Jason Campbell won the most valuable player award for the Sugar Bowl and the Southeastern Conference Championship game; while also garnering SEC offensive player of the year and SEC player of the year honors as well as Most Valuable Player of the South squad in the 2005 Senior Bowl.

I believe it is important to emphasize that the young men who make up this outstanding Auburn football team understand that they are students first, and then athletes. The academic focus of these players is exemplified by the fact that 9 of the 18 seniors playing in the Sugar Bowl had already earned their bachelor's degrees and 17 players made the Southeastern Conference Academic honor roll. I commend the players and coaches for ensuring that academic achievement is not sacrificed for athletic success.

Auburn's head coach Tommy Tuberville is to be commended for his achievements as well. Coach Tuberville was the recipient of six Coach of the Year awards including the Associated Press, Paul ``Bear'' Bryant, American Football Coaches Association, Schutt Sports, Walker Camp, and Southeastern Conference awards.

I join Auburn fans across the country in recognizing their accomplishments, honoring their achievements and praising their teamwork. I am proud of their outstanding record and am inspired by their ability to overcome adversity to achieve success. The Auburn University Tigers showed football fans everywhere what it means to play as a team.

Well done Senator Shelby ! ! !

The more I reflect on this past season, the more impressed I am with this TEAM. :au:

They will be remembered in AU History forever.

:cheers: Hear! Hear! :cheers:

:beer2: To :au: , Senator Shelby, and the 2004 Football season

Funny, I say the same thing everytime I read about a frivilous lawsuit. I just replace "legislative time" with "judicial time". :poke::big:

Funny, I say the same thing everytime I read about a frivilous lawsuit. I just replace "legislative time" with "judicial time".  :poke:   :big:

151269[/snapback]

I just replace "legislative time" with "billable hours". :poke: LegalEagle

Actually, I am taking a couple of law classes this term at Embry Riddle. All comprehension and application type stuff. Pretty interesting though

No knock on you personally, but other than getting a big paycheck over someone spilling hot coffee on their lap, I don't think I'd want to be a lawyer.

Actually, I am taking a couple of law classes this term at Embry Riddle. All comprehension and application type stuff. Pretty interesting though

No knock on you personally, but other than getting a big paycheck over someone spilling hot coffee on their lap, I don't think I'd want to be a lawyer.

151498[/snapback]

Everyone is quick to bring up that case. But the burns went a bit deeper than her "lap." This was certainly not a frivilous lawsuit. If a lawsuit is frivilous, how could you win? If you can't win, why bring such a suit.

Oh well, I'm off subject.

Archived