Did we win the war in Iraq?

caleb1633

Question: With the announcement of the ISIS caliphate having been defeated in Iraq, can we now say that we won the war in Iraq?

Good that ISIS is defeated! if ISIS is defeated? But I'd say no. It's difficult to say but i suspect that neck of the world would have been better off without that war. That war created ISIS in the first place. Look at what was lost in lives, limb and $ compared to what was accomplished. Not a win in my book.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Good that ISIS is defeated! if ISIS is defeated? But I'd say no. It's difficult to say but i suspect that neck of the world would have been better off without that war. That war created ISIS in the first place. Look at what was lost in lives, limb and $ compared to what was accomplished. Not a win in my book.

I agree that we definitely shouldn't have gone there in the first place. Saddam was an excellent balance of power against Iran. I think that the country is definitely in the best state it's been in since we crossed the border of Kuwait in 2003. I also think that ISIS currently poses no legitimate threat to the stability within the region. Like @homersapien said, it depends on how you define "win", because our goals changed multiple times during that conflict.

16 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I think we won but it begs the question "was it worth it.?

We will never say we “ lost “. Whether 10 years ago, today or a decade in the future we have won or will win. I’m sure of that.  However I certainly don’t think it was worth it. Like already mentioned, the definition is key. 

Well an interesting thing to consider is what would Iraq look like today if not for OIF? I'd guess it'd be a similar situation to North Korea. 

Kind of off topic, but I don't think we actually want to win in Afghanistan. I think we wanna stay there so we have the capability to strike China from the west.

For my brothers and sisters who gave so much for so long I’d say we won. Time will tell at what cost. 

Archived