Purifoy eligibility

weathergeakal

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is 0 chance sexton comes back. He had made up his mind he was going pro this draft before he stepped on the court this season. One of those foregone conclusions.

Yup, 1st round = $$$$$$, he gone.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

well he got paid by an agent too but that's ok.

Great news for Purifoy but the timing sure seems odd. The ncaa probably has known for weeks but sat on it.

When did the NCAA clear him anyway?

5 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Who knows?  I don't recall UA making his circumstances available to the public.

4 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

They cleared him back in November. Alabama did an investigation, submitted their findings to the NCAA, and they ruled he was eligible but had to serve a one-game suspension. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

They cleared him back in November. Alabama did an investigation, submitted their findings to the NCAA, and they ruled he was eligible but had to serve a one-game suspension. 

Bama fired a coach and suspended him one game....all I've seen is that Sexton and his mother had lunch with an agent and cost $70 dollars. ...which was on that expense account that was revealed by some hated sports writer.  Looks like the bama coach must have been there too which is what got him fired....and by the way, .did anyone notice that Sexton got benched in his last game after a technical for taunting an opposing player when bama was 20  points behind?  Local media was kind of quiet about that although maybe I just missed it.    I'll be glad to see him gone

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Bama fired a coach and suspended him one game....all I've seen is that Sexton and his mother had lunch with an agent and cost $70 dollars. ...which was on that expense account that was revealed by some hated sports writer.  Looks like the bama coach must have been there too which is what got him fired....and by the way, .did anyone notice that Sexton got benched in his last game after a technical for taunting an opposing player when bama was 20  points behind?  Local media was kind of quiet about that although maybe I just missed it.    I'll be glad to see him gone

That Bama coach was an associate AD/head of basketball operations and had just come back to Tuscaloosa after serving as an assistant director of enforcement with the NCAA. The fact that he arranged an improper meeting was enough to fire him. That's incompetence arrogance on a whole other level. I believe Sexton had to pay back the money for his meal, and the suspension was more than what Miles Bridges received for the same offense. I believe Bridges only paid back the money but missed no time.

10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That Bama coach was an associate AD/head of basketball operations and had just come back to Tuscaloosa after serving as an assistant director of enforcement with the NCAA. The fact that he arranged an improper meeting was enough to fire him. That's incompetence arrogance on a whole other level. I believe Sexton had to pay back the money for his meal, and the suspension was more than what Miles Bridges received for the same offense. I believe Bridges only paid back the money but missed no time.

I'm guessing that DP has paid back the money as part of whatever deal was made with the NCAA.   And....to think that CP got the money to pay the players or families and then kept most of it.....what a guy !

44 minutes ago, boomstick said:

A one game suspension for accepting a lunch worth $75?  

Yet from that same agents expense report there were listed "player loans" in the tens of thousands to players at some pretty big time programs.  NCState ($43,500) to Dennis Smith/Seton Hall ($26,136) to Whitehead/LSU ($16,000) Quarterman/Kentucky ($48,000) for Adebayo/Washington ($10,000)Fultz.....all of these programs declined to comment on the findings.  NCState's AD stated that they disassociated from the agent back on 2012 but they would fully cooperate with any investigation.:dead:

Just now, keesler said:

A one game suspension for accepting a lunch worth $75?  

Yet from that same agents expense report there were listed "player loans" in the tens of thousands to players at some pretty big time programs.  NCState ($43,500) to Dennis Smith/Seton Hall ($26,136) to Whitehead/LSU ($16,000) Quarterman/Kentucky ($48,000) for Adebayo/Washington ($10,000)Fultz.....all of these programs declined to comment on the findings.  NCState's AD stated that they disassociated from the agent back on 2012 but they would fully cooperate with any investigation.:dead:

I think the one-game suspension was a Bama offering to appease the NCAA. I don't think the $75 benefit carried a one-game suspension, but it was a smart move by Bama IMO. And all those big money transactions in that report were guys that were gone. Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if a current player like Wendell Carter or Kevin Knox had received a $30,000 loan and how everything would've been handled.

4 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Now let's get CBP cleared and settled in for next year ASAP!

I don't think there is anything clear him of 

Great, great news. This will soften the potential departure of Mustapha. And the fact that he averaged almost 12 ppg as a freshman, and we saw how much our guys can improve with a year under their belts, is big time reason to be excited! Another shooter from outside who had shown he can put the ball on the floor prior to his ankle injury in a big frame. Very glad to hear this news this morning!

40 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think the one-game suspension was a Bama offering to appease the NCAA. I don't think the $75 benefit carried a one-game suspension, but it was a smart move by Bama IMO. And all those big money transactions in that report were guys that were gone. Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if a current player like Wendell Carter or Kevin Knox had received a $30,000 loan and how everything would've been handled.

Some of the players named had already left school and at least one de-committed from Louisville and has now committed to USCe I think it is.  Betting the SEC and NCAA will be watching this closely.   How would  a guy who was offered 100K at one school end up somewhere else unless there is some money under the table?    Think I've heard that question before? 

As for penalties, some had wrist slaps and couple guys lost a number of games.    I recall looking into it a while back and found that schools did not all do the same thing but several coaches were fired including Pitino....and his AD.  All probably had the goal to appease the NCAA hoping that when the NCAA finally got around to a full investigation those pre-emptive acts would show them some mercy.

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't think there is anything clear him of 

BP is the HC, he had 3 coaches and 2 players commit NCAA violations under his watch whether he was aware of their activities or not, it happened.  At this point the NCAA has ruled on punishment for the student-athletes, but at some point they're going to have to come to a ruling on the program.:dunno:

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If they both come back, we could legitimately have an 11 man rotation next year.  That's crazy.

Really is. There’s even a small possibility Auburn will be 13 deep next year if Wiley, Heron, and Purifoy return; Akingbola comes in this year’s class; and we have no unexpected transfers or injuries. 

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Great, great news. This will soften the potential departure of Mustapha. And the fact that he averaged almost 12 ppg as a freshman, and we saw how much our guys can improve with a year under their belts, is big time reason to be excited! Another shooter from outside who had shown he can put the ball on the floor prior to his ankle injury in a big frame. Very glad to hear this news this morning!

More concerned about Wiley. Heron won’t go I’m 95% sure

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is 0 chance sexton comes back. He had made up his mind he was going pro this draft before he stepped on the court this season. One of those foregone conclusions.

Good

This is the kind of crap that makes me belligerent! There is no clarity as to why TWO Auburn players were suspended for 1+ years while other schools with similar allegations weren’t punished at all. Why is his suspension carried over into 2018-19 season? This makes absolutely no sense and we should be fighting this every step of the way.

I’m excited that Purifoy and potentially Wiley could be back, but we need to appeal for full reinstatement.

15 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If they both come back, we could legitimately have an 11 man rotation next year.  That's crazy.

All below statements are predicated on Bruce returning next year.

Actually we would have a 12 man rotation as the Transfer PG will be with us next year and if Akingbola is able to re-classify we would have 13 Scholarship players. That is to many so the question would be who gets very limited minutes. I am thinking the Murray would lose his starting job which pains me to say as he has done so much for this team also Spencer would lose time again that hurts because of how hard he has worked to improve and how much he helped us this past year. Dunbar who has talent, size, energy but has control issues. If Kingbola is able to re-classify and come in he gets time because if Wiley comes back I expect to be for only 1 year then we will need to replace both Wiley and Spencer so having game experience will be key for us the following year.

Next year will determine if Auburn has really turned the corner or if we had a one and done miracle season. With any thing from an honest 10-13 (Depending on Wiley returning, Heron returning, and Akingboa re-classifying)  man rotation next year. It is imperative we finish in the top half of the SEC and we have to have a great recruiting class because the number of players we will be losing next year.

Seniors:

Spencer, Brown, Dunbar, Murray

Leaving early maybe:

Wiley assuming he is on team next year

Purifoy he is getting older he should have been a senior next year

Heron

After next year we will lose anywhere between 30% and a little over 50% of our team. We will still have a strong nucleus McLemore, Harper, Okeke, Mitchell, Doughtery,Akingboa to build on and might have Purifoy and Heron

47 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

This is the kind of crap that makes me belligerent! There is no clarity as to why TWO Auburn players were suspended for 1+ years while other schools with similar allegations weren’t punished at all. Why is his suspension carried over into 2018-19 season? This makes absolutely no sense and we should be fighting this every step of the way.

I’m excited that Purifoy and potentially Wiley could be back, but we need to appeal for full reinstatement.

We did appeal. This is the result of the appeal. They ruled Purifoy ineligible, we appealed for his reinstatement, the NCAA reinstated him with an additional suspension. The reason he and Wiley sat out is because Auburn held them out while investigating their situations. When Auburn asked for certification/reinstatement, Auburn also reported additional violations found during their investigation. Schools like USC, Louisville, and Oklahoma St had players sit parts or all of the season for similar alleged violations. 

I’m still not sure I understand- 

Isn’t the case basically whether Purifoy took money or not? If so, I’m not sure I understand why he is still allowed to play college basketball at all if he did in fact do this... 

If he accepted money, he is a professional athlete, and thus cannot play college basketball. If he didn’t, there should be no suspension at all. Why is there an “in between” ruling here? This seems like black and white to me- if you did it, you can’t play, but if you didn’t, you can. 

What am I missing?...

i think the evidence against auburn/persons/wiley/purifoy/families was just overbearing compared to most other schools involved. I doubt the ncaa or fbi was picking on auburn. we have Chuck Persons to blame. Unless I'm made aware of some other information that is how i see it.. Auburn protected itself well, I think.

what are the chances of Wiley coming back? I hop so very much. This will make us the most dangerous team in the SEC hands down.

26 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

what are the chances of Wiley coming back? I hop so very much. This will make us the most dangerous team in the SEC hands down.

Everything I have read or heard is that Wiley will do the draft workouts and see what his grade is and then make a decision from there.  At this point all the talking heads seem to think it is very unlikely he or Purifoy return next year.

I agree that the talking heads think Wiley is probably gone athletic big men (both height and width) are hard to find. I have not seen any mock draft with Purifoy in it. Purifoy has stated he will be back. Unless Purifoy turns a lot of heads at the NBA combine I expect to see him with us after the end of his suspension next year. Purifoy is one of many athletic 6'7' to 6'9" players who are good shooters as such he would have to excel to improve his stock. As long as Wiley has a solid combine I think he is gone but if he is not projected in the second round after the combine I see him returning for one more year to hone his skills. If I was to set odds on Wiley it would be 65% gone 35% return.  Purifoy would be 80% return 20% stay and probably about the same for Heron.

Archived