A must read from Bamamag...

DKW 86

Bamamag

Unrealistic Alabama Fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get sick of Alabama fans with unrealistic expectations. Don't get me wrong, I want Alabama to go 13-0 every year, but I believe we must be realistic about where we are, where we have been and where we are going.

Today I heard an alleged Alabama fan on the radio complaining because Coach Shula ran the ball to much, that we had the best running backs in the SEC and the best receiving corp in the nation. Well it irks my goat to hear idiotic talk like that. I love every Bama football player and I admire any young man that agreed to play for Alabama in our darkest days, the period between September 2000 and February 2004, but the facts are as follows:

1. The best running backs in the SEC have not been at Alabama. While I love Ray Hudson and Ken Darby and would not trade them for anyone, TSDTR had two RB's that will be drafted in the first five picks in the NFL draft in April and a QB that will be drafted early on Sunday. I love Hudson and Darby, but I would have taken Williams and Brown with no second thoughts, hell, I would have even taken Faison and Wynn at Florida over Darby and Hudson. Cheatersee is playing with five High School All Americans and MSU has probably the best RB in the conference. As good as Darby and Hudson were, the best RB's in the land do not run without the electric company and we had three years of utter failure on recruiting O-linemen, before CMS arrived. Yes we go two of three with potential, but we only have one Junior, Senior O-lineman. We even converted one of our best D-lineman to offense to try to shore the problem. Unless we have three red shirt freshman to step up to the plate and one red shirt sophomore, we may have the poorest O-line in modern times. I believe Caldwell, Stabler, Davis, Davis, Capps, Moon and West have the potential and they will make it, they are kids compared to what they will have to go against. Two years from now they will form a great line, but they will make mistakes this year. At least they get to practice against the best defense they will face all year and that could help them develop faster.

2. Some people think we have best receiving corp in the SEC. Alabama did not even have the second best corp in the state. I think anyone that saw the teams play would have taken Taylor, Wallace, and 1 and 2 at the Barn ahead of Alabama's kiddie corp. The people that saw J. Samples at Troy would have said he was the best receiving corp by himself. It took the Barn receiving corp three years to develop, and it will take ours time.

3. Some people say Alabama should have passed more after the W. Carolina game. Who was going to throw the ball? Spencer Pennington was probably the most courageous person ever to play QB at Alabama, but Spencer could not have started for any other BCS team in the country. Alabama had to run the ball, they had no choice. Sometimes you have to keep from losing before you can win and you cannot ask a QB to go into a situation he is incapable of going. General Pickett made the same mistake at Gettysburg and we all know that if you are going to charge embanked Union troops, bet on the Blue every time. Spencer made the right call to go to baseball.

Fact, Alabama had three of the worst recruiting years of any team in SEC history in the last five years. This was caused by probation, impending sanctions and turmoil in the coaching situation. The last two years have been a drastic improvement, as far as recruiting is concerned. Progress is coming, but you cannot realistically expect quality freshman and Sophomores to compete successfully against quality Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors that most of our opponents possess.

Fact, Alabama is playing with 30 or more, less recruits than any other team in the SEC, except for Kentucky.

Fact, Alabama had no backup QB last year and as of this date has no proven backup QB for next year.

Fact, Alabama few players in the Junior and senior class this year. Most schools have at least 35 players in their upper classes, Alabama has less than 20 that can play at the BCS level.

Coach Mike Shula is not playing with a full deck and it will be at least two more years before he has his full compliment of Schollies. Almost all intelligent fans, except John Longshore (radio host in Montgomery) and armchair QB's that know nothing about football recognize this fact. I don't know how good a Coach Mike Shula can be, but just as a bettor would not place bets on Saturday before he listens to his tipster, Alabama fans should be patient with Mike Shula until we see what he can do with a full deck.

Alabama has had poor recruiting classes and probation that were the responsibility of the Coach at aTm, and probation. Even with that, our coaches and players have taken Tennessee and the Barn with their super classes to the wire the last two years. Heck, we had the Barn on the ropes and we didn't even have a running back. It took officials to keep us from beating a great LSwho team in Baton Rouge. The great Cheatersee team with its top five recruiting classes had all it could handle the last two years.

My Mom, as good a cook as she is, cannot make chicken salad out of chicken*#%@.

I for one can't wait to see what happens when we are on a level playing field. I say lets be realistic, we are on the right track and we will be back sooner than anyone expects.

Luckybilly, bearing in mind everything I have said, I have still made my reservations for Pasadena for January 2006.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Luckybilly, bearing in mind everything I have said, I have still made my reservations for Pasadena for January 2006."

You had better be going to see So. Cal or someone else.....cause the "MIGHTY TIDE" has fallen to where it belongs.........................WDE!

Bamamag

Coach Mike Shula is not playing with a full deck..

151942[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

...Okay, I know he's referring to the available talent and not Shula's mental state--but my first reaction was a great guffaw anyway!

Taking things more seriously, however: I 've not seen anything in Shula that makes me think he would be much above average as a coach even if he had the players. (But maybe that's just me.)

i think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of fans from another team to say he's been impressive at all. one win over a top 25 team in two years (and that was against usm) is less than impressive, even less so when you say that it was alabama.

And anyone who argues that their receivers and running backs are the best in the SEC are ignorant!! OMG! I have a friend that tells me this stuff, I just laugh. Courtney Taylor owns all of Bammer's wide receivers by himself, not to mention Obomanue, Aromoshadue, Mix, Wallace... and a couple of others.

Their running backs didn't impress me all that much. With the holes that they had, I am wandering why their stats weren't as good.

:-/

"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit."--Johnny Cochran 1994

"If your team can't win, then you must spin."--Proud Tiger 2005

actually, "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit."

151989[/snapback]

Corrected. The important thing is it's Spring, my favotite season. And at 9:30 pm, I look up at the picture of the 2004 Iron Bowl scoreboard and smile again as it says Auburn 21-bama 13 :cheer:

The red Kool Aide is flowing it west Alabama.

bamajoe

believe we are loaded at qb, fb, wr, lb, and db. we may be loaded on the dl if the new guys are as good as advertised and at rb if darby and castille are well. the o-line will have to develop but i am not willing to assume that they cannot perform before they play a single down. with any coaching and normal health there is no reason this team should not win at least nine games.

bamajoe

miami has a proven number two qb. if you have an outstanding number one qb it is about all you can expect from that position. i know if he gets hurt it will mean we will not be championship caliber. if he stays healthy he will personally overcome what other deficiencies we may have.

perrybama

The Barn will be down a lot this year, but it is still in their house. If we are healthy when we get there, CMS will show you whom is the better coach.

Pocketpitty

In my opinion we have as good a staff as anyone in the country......

In fact, that to me makes the staff even that much better.... because they have shown so much courage & preserverence...

But if we have a healthy team in 2005 , Croyle , Darby , etc and the OL kicks in .... throw in a couple new RB's , maybe Ford &/or Upchurch ...... then YES I certainly would expect 9 wins, and I would also expect to be competitive & have a chance to win in every game.... afterall , we ARE ALABAMA and when healthy , we SHOULD FEEL like we will win every game..... if we are NOT healthy again , then the actual win loss expectation reasonably should go down..... but it doesnt mean that many of still wont "hope" we will win anyway *( its just that "ALABAMA THING" of winning anyway instilled in most of us ....)

:au: Reality has set in but a few more lessons in humility and reality is going to be required for the hard core rednecks and crazies such as Shane and Phyllis from Mudtown. ha. They'll get that dose of reality whether they like it or not. :)

They'll get the dose all right, but I doubt it will have any effect. I'm pretty sure they've developed an immunity to reality.

Bamamag

Coach Mike Shula is not playing with a full deck..

151942[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

...Okay, I know he's referring to the available talent and not Shula's mental state--but my first reaction was a great guffaw anyway!

Taking things more seriously, however: I 've not seen anything in Shula that makes me think he would be much above average as a coach even if he had the players. (But maybe that's just me.)

151958[/snapback]

I thought EXACTLY the same thing...bout time they admitted it. :big:

:au::homer:

They'll get the dose all right, but I doubt it will have any effect.  I'm pretty sure they've developed an immunity to reality.

152019[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol: Now that was funny. This is regular stuff on Tidefans.com and it makes me crack up, a laugh a day at their stupidity keeps the Bammers away.

And anyone who argues that their receivers and running backs are the best in the SEC are ignorant!! OMG! I have a friend that tells me this stuff, I just laugh. Courtney Taylor owns all of Bammer's wide receivers by himself, not to mention Obomanue, Aromoshadue, Mix, Wallace... and a couple of others.

151980[/snapback]

Not to nitpick or thread hijack...but there are many people outside of the Alabama camp who would say that you are wrong about receivers. There's not a player on your team I would take for Tyrone Prothro, except for maybe McClover.

We dont know what our RB situation will be because we dont know how darby's rehab will go.

151980[/snapback]

Not to nitpick or thread hijack...but there are many people outside of the Alabama camp who would say that you are wrong about receivers. There's not a player on your team I would take for Tyrone Prothro, except for maybe McClover.

We dont know what our RB situation will be because we dont know how darby's rehab will go.

152109[/snapback]

You would take a 5'8"/176# receiver over anyone on our team except McClover?

Ludicrous. :no:

151980[/snapback]

152109[/snapback]

152113[/snapback]

did you miss the iron bowl last year?

151980[/snapback]

152109[/snapback]

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! Now tyrone is my Homey from Heflin...and I loved watching him on Friday nights...and I wish he would have been able to fulfill his dream to go to AU...but he is NO Courtney Taylor...and that's just a fact. :no:

:au::homer:

151980[/snapback]

152109[/snapback]

152113[/snapback]

152118[/snapback]

No, I saw every second of it. Bama is in dire need of SEC quality players at nearly every position. If I were in your shoes (...shudder...), I'd be trading anyone and everyone off that team for some of the horses on the AU roster.

151980[/snapback]

152109[/snapback]

152113[/snapback]

152118[/snapback]

Did you?

Brick hands dropped a gimme at the five. :P

In my VERY humble opinion, C. Taylor is the BEST wr in the SEC. Ben O.-Devin A.

-Mix are ALL better Wrs than prothro. Not even close. He has good speed, NO height, no weight, speed is it. That alone just isn't enough. You gotta' have some skill catching the ball to go along with it. He may develop into a good wr someday, but, he has a whole lot of "developing" to do!

The only guy on Bama's Team I want at present would be Prothro. He is scary good. I hold my breath everytime he trouches the ball. He reminds me of David Palmer....only sober and scarier. :big:

Is Prothro better than Taylor? I dont think so but he is still scary good.

He reminds me of David Palmer....only sober:big:

152149[/snapback]

Now THAT is funny.

David, you wouldnt want Freddie Roach, Demeco Ryans, Mark Anderson, Roman Harper, or Charlie Peprah?

You got guys battling for secondary positions who dont have any experience...and you wouldnt want an all sec safety? An all american LB?

Archived