Cox has Strong Game

DKW 86

SI.com

Cox quarterbacked the Blue team to a 9-0 win over the White team as he completed 13 of 22 passes for 226 yards in a game in which neither squad could get in the end zone. The only scoring came on three John Vaughn field goals.

Asked if Cox, named offensive player of the game, had established himself as the leading contender to replace Campbell as starting quarterback, head coach Tommy Tuberville said, "Oh yeah, everybody can see that. He knows the offense. He's got a good arm and he makes good decisions when he gets out of the pocket."

Many of Cox's completions came as he scrambled to avoid the rush and find an open receiver. His favorite target was Courtney Taylor, who caught three passes for 65 yards.

"Overall I felt I did well," Cox said. "I was comfortable throwing the ball. The downside was that we didn't score. I'd like to have put it in the end zone."

also...

One of those defensive ends, Stanley McClover, was credited with sacking Cox three times, though quarterbacks wore orange jerseys and were not allowed to be tackled. He was named defensive player of the game.

"That was just a taste of what we can do," said McClover of the defensive effort. He said he was particularly proud of the times he reached the quarterback.

"Defensive linemen dream of getting sacks," McClover said. "I think we've got a lot of potential to be a great defense. We've just got to stay humble."

Good article. Thanks for posting it here. I look forward to watching Brandon LEAD

this team for the next three seasons. He will only get better with experience.

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

From what little I saw of the A-Day game, Cox looked like he threw the ball well. But God help him if has to get out of the pocket and run from pressure...he looked quite slow to me. Or was it our dominant DE's creating that illusion?

From what little I saw of the A-Day game, Cox looked like he threw the ball well.  But God help him if has to get out of the pocket and run from pressure...he looked quite slow to me.  Or was it our dominant DE's creating that illusion?

152176[/snapback]

Bo Jackson would look slow running from McClover...

I hope he remains that impressive all year...

NOW, after seeing the A-Day game, I will agree with War Tim. I think that BC will be just fine at AU's helm.

Will he make mistakes? Sure, just like Jason Campbell did.

Let's just hope Brandon Cox doesn't get booed by AU fans like JC did.

NOW, after seeing the A-Day game, I will agree with War Tim. I think that BC will be just fine at AU's helm.

152209[/snapback]

I'm a season ticket holder...and I have yet to hear JC get booed. I read it in the newspapers all the time and now I see it here...and I NEVER saw or heard it. Boo the coaching staff and the play calling...YES...but never the qb. Never happened.

:au::homer:

I agree. I have been a season ticket holder for 19 years. I have NEVER heard Jason "booed"...never. (Or any other player.) :au:

I do remember in 2002 the student section chanting for JC because Cobb was stinking it up, ahh that was rough. My favorite phrase whenever he took the field was, "Dammit Cobb!", because it seemed everyone around would say that whenever he made a mistake.

Nah, I've heard the fans boo JC before. The '01 UF game comes to mind. I was in the student section so it could've just been isolated to that section or something.

152209[/snapback]

I'm a season ticket holder...and I have yet to hear JC get booed. I read it in the newspapers all the time and now I see it here...and I NEVER saw or heard it. Boo the coaching staff and the play calling...YES...but never the qb. Never happened.

:au::homer:

152278[/snapback]

i agree-everyone says it's happened-i've probably missed one or two games he played in and i've never heard it

I do remember in 2002 the student section chanting for JC because Cobb was stinking it up, ahh that was rough. My favorite phrase whenever he took the field was, "Dammit Cobb!", because it seemed everyone around would say that whenever he made a mistake.

152362[/snapback]

Cobb got booed quite a bit in the O2 Syracuse game......When CTT finally put JC in he lead us to a double OT win (one of the most exciting games i have been to at JH)......I have never heard JC get booed by fans.....but Cobb sure did...

Guest Tigrinum Major

I can remember walking through the student section in 1992 and seeing shirts that read "Play Patrick Nix - We Can't "Stan" One More Year". Seems to me that Stan White had a fair year in 1993.

I just wish that we wouldn't boo players at all. We look like Bama fans when we do that.

On a completely seperate note, this is my 500th post! Do I get a toaster or something?

On a completely seperate note, this is my 500th post!  Do I get a toaster or something?

152421[/snapback]

a toaster for 500 posts...when you reach 1,000, you get a free dinner for 2 at Little Joe's....

Definately. .I remember the Arkansas game in 2002, Everybody wanted Campbell the whole game (i think it was the game after the syracuse game) and Cobb stunk it up.. they finally put Campbell in but it was too late.

I think Cobb had 1 more good game against MSU where he threw 3 TDs.. then he got pulled against Florida.

BTW, Can someone tell me where I could buy that AUB vs SYR game in 2002?

Archived