Obama Touts Universal Income

Proud Tiger

39 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've held a job since I was 15, including a 30+ hour a week gig through college and an 80+ hour per week gig immediately after, so I'm not coming at this from a lazy POV.  (Side bar:  Thank the Lord I work a more normal job now.)  But given the opportunity to travel, golf, etc, I'd do it in a heartbeat and not think twice about working.  There's so much to explore I this world that you can never really get bored.  Of course, I'm not a stay in one place kind of guy either.

I knew you had a strong work history....just noting that people who have that kind of work ethic have a hard time turning it "off" even when they try.....been there  :)   And those without a developed work ethic have a hard time getting a good work ethic cranked up.    Many are happy to let someone else pay for their way through life. . 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

But given the opportunity to travel, golf, etc, I'd do it in a heartbeat and not think twice about working.  There's so much to explore I this world that you can never really get bored. 

Doubt that universal income would be enough to allow those privileges. Given your work history I feel sure you have a hard time grasping people not being able to realize fulfillment from work.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Otherwise, it seems that working becomes a habit that remains as long as health permits even if the money is not the objective.  .

Work is fun when can choose to work rather than have to work. Takes a lot of work to get there though

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Work is fun when can choose to work rather than have to work. Takes a lot of work to get there though

I recall hearing some people say  " I never worked a day in my life"  which was their way of saying they had jobs that they truly enjoyed.   Everyone is not that fortunate.  I recall conversation with a co-worker years ago when he noted....."this would be a great job if it weren't for the people we have to deal with".   Lots of folks have bad jobs and I've also been told that "work is often just work"....and not to expect too much enjoyment or fun with the job.

I was fortunate about my jobs...and there were several over the years..... there was only once place where I dreaded going to work every day.....and luckily I got fired after 6 or 7 months......thereafter,  it was rare for me to have negative feelings about the nature of my job or about going to my workplace.  

As  you noted Salty, retirement gives workaholics the chance to be more selective about where they share their skills and talents......and how much time they want to spend on leisure.....BUT the big unknown of course is one's health or the health of a spouse. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

BUT the big unknown of course is one's health or the health of a spouse.

You are so right. When you get a little older you realize how many people are limited in ability to do certain things due to health issues or those of a spouse. A lot of things are out of our control but it is important to stay active. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Doubt that universal income would be enough to allow those privileges. Given your work history I feel sure you have a hard time grasping people not being able to realize fulfillment from work.

You'd be amazed how much you can do a little amount of money.  A backpack, some train tickets, and a few shared rooms can get you across Europe for a relatively low cost.

And no, I don't have any trouble understanding people's fulfillment.  I just believe fulfillment comes in many forms and work is a very minor part of that for a lot of folks.  I believe in "work to live" not "live to work".  A job/career is an ends to a mean for me.  Nothing more.  It's a transactional relationship that allows me to do the things I REALLY enjoy, like traveling, AU football, golf, etc.  Thus my fulfillment isn't from the work I do, but rather the things it allows me to do.

Also note, I have a really cool job and still feel this way. In no way do hate my work.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also note, I have a really cool job and still feel this way. In no way do hate my work.

Know you do and I am good with the way you feel. When I say fulfillment I am inclusive about the thing money earned allows you to do. BTW, I do not like backpacks or shared rooms with anyone other than Mrs. salty. Train travel sounds fun. Always promised myself to that one day.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

@Brad_ATX I’ll fly you private one day and give you the best caviar you’ve ever had. You’ll change your mind.

I dunno man.  I've had some fine caviar, but am just as happy with a sandwich and backpack sometimes too.  Don't always need the finest things in life.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I dunno man.  I've had some fine caviar, but am just as happy with a sandwich and backpack sometimes too.  Don't always need the finest things in life.

This is why you deserve the finest things though... good man!!!

Archived