The anti-bash Gus Thread

corchjay

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Up until Kirby's 2nd year last year UGA was not a powerhouse so I don't understand what you are saying.  UGA was extremely beatable and we lost to some pretty bad UGA teams that had no business of beating us.

10, 12, 8, 10, 10, 8, 13~~~That's Georgia's annual number of wins over the past seven years. Looks pretty powerhouse to me and I don't see a bad team in there. Kentucky's wins over the same time period: 5, 2, 2, 5, 5, 7 ,7.  Your statement was that Mullen's SEC record was the same as Gus's. I pointed out (correctly) that Mullen had a much easier row to hoe due to our annual cross-division rival game being Georgia while MSU's is Kentucky. Check those numbers, the difference is drastic.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus isn't a better coach than Petrino, maybe a better man but we don't know what most do behind closed doors and we shouldn't. It shouldn't matter mostly. I mean of course you can't be out here murdering people or anything like that

Oh and there isn't a player or coach that's above getting criticism. We DEFINITELY don't win enough to make pretend nobody shouldn't ever say anything about our coaches. Grow up

Watching the replays, I think the coaches are largely doing the best that they can. I still say that we just don’t have an OL. Maybe we have the wrong coach there, maybe bad habits from the last coach, or maybe it’s the Jimmies and the Joes. Whatever it is, when the OL does work we move the ball. When the play ends with half of our OL watching the play like spectators or getting up off of the ground without a defender down beside them, we don’t. 

JMHO.

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Gus isn't a better coach than Petrino, maybe a better man but we don't know what most do behind closed doors and we shouldn't. It shouldn't matter mostly. I mean of course you can't be out here murdering people or anything like that

I mean we can talk about differences in philosophy and the job Petrino did with Lamar Jackson, but for the differences there, I feel like Malzahn has done a much better job at maintaining a program than Petrino has, especially with Petrinos latest stent. 

I wanted to hire Petrino after 2012, but I am curious where we would be right now if we had hired him. 

16 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I mean we can talk about differences in philosophy and the job Petrino did with Lamar Jackson, but for the differences there, I feel like Malzahn has done a much better job at maintaining a program than Petrino has, especially with Petrinos latest stent. 

I wanted to hire Petrino after 2012, but I am curious where we would be right now if we had hired him. 

How many times has Petrino beat Saban? Louisville is garbage without Lamar Jackson and they weren't very good WITH him last year. I'm agreeing with you, but I've NEVER wanted us to hire Petrino.

Let me preface this by saying that I’m part of the 80%’s and really want Gus to succeed, etc. However in 6 tries, Gus only has 1  4-0 start (2014). So I can totally understand people being frustrated. 

6 hours ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

This has been a great topic.  Gus doesn't need to go anywhere, and Auburn shouldn't have hired him in the first place.  He needed to be at an FBS school or stay at Arkansas State longer to really learn the ropes.  He has done a nice job in a position he wasn't prepared to take.  I mean, let's look at our last few head coaches: Tuberville, Bowden, and Dye (I cannot bring myself to put Czick in this group). 

Dye had had six years at East Carolina and one year at Wyoming.  All he did was build East Carolina into a consistent program while there, and took Wyoming from losing to a 6-5 record...then he came to Auburn and really built a fantastic program.

Terry Bowden had nine years at Div III Salem, and I-AA Samford, which he built into solid programs before he came to Auburn.  I do not disagree that he left the program in shambles, but he had SOLID results as a Head Coach prior to coming to Auburn.

Tommy Tuberville had four solid years at Ole Miss, a school which the NCAA had just slammed.  We all agreed that the job he did there was quite masterful, and he did a great job at Auburn.

All three of these guys have one other thing in common:  Solid coaches that mentored them.  Dye had Bear, Bowden had his Dad, and Tommy had Jimmy Johnson.  Just whom did Gus have?  No one near that level.  And that's a shame.

Again, I am glad we have Gus, even with his shortcomings, which we all have.  Honestly, Auburn won't ever be able to bring in a NAME head coach, no matter how much money they throw around, and that's ok.  War Eagle!

This is really the only thing I disagree with. TAMU showed it is very possible to bring in a top 5 head coach if you throw them enough money. And we are a better program currently and historically by a very comfortable margin.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

This is really the only thing I disagree with. TAMU showed it is very possible to bring in a top 5 head coach if you throw them enough money. And we are a better program currently and historically by a very comfortable margin.

I disagree with you totally.  A&M is NOT Auburn. WAAAAAAY too many factors in the way of that ever happening. Way too many...

4 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

I disagree with you totally.  A&M is NOT Auburn. WAAAAAAY too many factors in the way of that ever happening. Way too many...

Yes they have better facilities than us and A LOT more money.  but just on the field we are better as a program and have been historically in every metric you use to judge a program.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes they have better facilities than us and A LOT more money.  but just on the field we are better as a program and have been historically in every metric you use to judge a program.

And they are in Texas, and are a REAL name.  Auburn is a very quaint, quiet school.  And it feels like Des Moines, a long way from anywhere.  And this is coming from an Alabama native.  

Plus, Auburn has a real issue with perception in football, especially with coaches. Trust me when I say this:  A name coach like Jimbo ain't coming to Auburn, no matter the money.

And they are in Texas, and are a REAL name.  Auburn is a very quaint, quiet school.  And it feels like Des Moines, a long way from anywhere.  And this is coming from an Alabama native.  

Plus, Auburn has a real issue with perception in football, especially with coaches. Trust me when I say this:  A name coach like Jimbo ain't coming to Auburn, no matter the money.

A coach absolutely like Jimbo would come here if we threw him the money he was seeking AND gave him complete control. The problem is correctable if we just stay out of our own way. JABA is a real thing. We are our own worst enemy.  It is a fixable problem because we do have the cache, legacy and history to attract big name coaches.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A coach absolutely like Jimbo would come here if we threw him the money he was seeking AND gave him complete control. The problem is correctable if we just stay out of our own way. JABA is a real thing. We are our own worst enemy.  It is a fixable problem because we do have the cache, legacy and history to attract big name coaches.

No, we tried Jimbo more than once and NO GO.  But I agree with you on the rest.

But, if I might say this without sounding like a schmuck:  Auburn doesn't really play outside of the South.  Here, in VA, we have many Auburn Grads, and really, Swimming and Equestrian are really known, and now, Basketball, which made a huge impression in the East, and across the country last year.  Thus everyone believing Auburn a Top 10 team.  Pearl has created a miracle there.  Gus has not, and Gus and the program seem quite provincial to anyone outside of Alabama looking in. Football plays behind Basketball now.  Everybody knows that Auburn is a "good" football school, but it plays behind bammer and uga. Bigly.

That makes a difference when you want to hire a NAME...

Just one man's opinion. TIFWIW

No, we tried Jimbo more than once and NO GO.  But I agree with you on the rest.

But, if I might say this without sounding like a schmuck:  Auburn doesn't really play outside of the South.  Here, in VA, we have many Auburn Grads, and really, Swimming and Equestrian are really known, and now, Basketball, which made a huge impression in the East, and across the country last year.  Thus everyone believing Auburn a Top 10 team.  Pearl has created a miracle there.  Gus has not, and Gus and the program seem quite provincial to anyone outside of Alabama looking in. Football plays behind Basketball now.  Everybody knows that Auburn is a "good" football school, but it plays behind bammer and uga. Bigly.

That makes a difference when you want to hire a NAME...

Just one man's opinion. TIFWIW

Honestly Gus is a good coach. I give him crap all the time because I think he can be great and is his own worse enemy BUT football needs a basketball version of Pearl. We need a guy with that personality WHO ALSO is a great coach which pearl is to take us to the next level CONSISTENTLY and stay there for football. Gus just does not have that dynamic and captivating personality. Like what dabo did for clemson. Personalities like Pearl and Dabo are what programs who are not blue blood need to take that next step.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Honestly Gus is a good coach. I give him crap all the time because I think he can be great BUT football needs a basketball version of Pearl. We need a guy with that personality WHO ALSO is a great coach which pearl is to take us to the next level CONSISTENTLY and stay there for football. Like what dabo did for clemson. Personalities like Pearl and Dabo are what programs who are not blue blood need to take that next step.

I agree.  He is a "Good" coach.  And I totally agree with you on this. But until Auburn makes a REAL effort and commitment to excellence and to cleanse itself internally, it won't happen.

2 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

I agree.  He is a "Good" coach.  And I totally agree with you on this. But until Auburn makes a REAL effort and commitment to excellence and to cleanse itself internally, it won't happen.

I still believe it can happen once the good ol boy network is phased out. Allen Greene gives me hope as a total outsider. WAR DAMN!!!! I am only 29 so I keep hope alive it will happen one day for us fam! 

3 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

How many times has Petrino beat Saban? Louisville is garbage without Lamar Jackson and they weren't very good WITH him last year. I'm agreeing with you, but I've NEVER wanted us to hire Petrino.

How many times has he beat Saban ? ok. He's beaten Gus when Gus had the better team. There's no telling what he could do with our athletes.

And at least he had enough sense to offer Lamar Jackson

3 hours ago, AUinfusion said:

Watching the replays, I think the coaches are largely doing the best that they can. I still say that we just don’t have an OL. Maybe we have the wrong coach there, maybe bad habits from the last coach, or maybe it’s the Jimmies and the Joes. Whatever it is, when the OL does work we move the ball. When the play ends with half of our OL watching the play like spectators or getting up off of the ground without a defender down beside them, we don’t. 

JMHO.

So with both scenarios maybe wrong coach, maybe Jimmy's and Joe's...who's fault is it?

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So with both scenarios maybe wrong coach, maybe Jimmy's and Joe's...who's fault is it?

Honestly, it’s above my level of expertise to say in terms of the lack of OL performance. I do think that vs LSU we called plays that gave us a chance to win. Against Ark it seems like we trying to force ourselves to be something we aren’t, which is doubly stupid. Even if it works vs Ark, it won’t prepare us for better teams. All that said, I still feel like Gus has given teams the chance to win against opponents that clearly out-talented us on more than several occasions.

2 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Honestly, it’s above my level of expertise to say in terms of the lack of OL performance. I do think that vs LSU we called plays that gave us a chance to win. Against Ark it seems like we trying to force ourselves to be something we aren’t, which is doubly stupid. Even if it works vs Ark, it won’t prepare us for better teams. All that said, I still feel like Gus has given teams the chance to win against opponents that clearly out-talented us on more than several occasions.

I agree with all of that, but clearly there are things going on that are head scratchers. If someone asks a question it's not like we're performing on a level that the sunshine squad should gut you for date questioning our coach!

On 9/21/2018 at 8:17 AM, Win4AU said:

That Georgia game ?.  Auburn would have played in Atlanta for a shot at the whole wheel of cheese if it wasn’t for that 11am disaster against a 6-5 Georgia team with a freshman Matt Stafford.  Tubs always found a way to lose to Arkansas and usually lose badly.

Probably had something to do with Malzahn as the Arkansas offensive coordinator.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Gus is a good man.

That's about it but it's sunshine :jossun:

If football was about hiring the best PEOPLE for head coaches our last 3 coaches all would be 3 of the best in that category lol. Especially the last 2. Tubs is a little edgier and sketchier than chiz and gus.

Archived