Don't Fire Gus Malzahn

SKIPPER_01

Just now, IronMan70 said:

That's true, you'd just have to accept a mediocre program in exchange for a football only facility (my scenario). If the money boys won't commit to that, cut the HC cord.

Exactly. But I don't know why anyone thinks someone is going to commit to a football-only facility with mediocre results, either.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Don’t think tbere is a clear cut answer. I’d rather us not have to force a hire. I am also going to consider it highly embarrassing that we have to fire a coach the next year after tbe guaranteed money heavyextension. It looks pretty bad on tbe fanbase that prides itself on family as well.  Lastly, I also think our pool of candidates will take that bipolarity factor under consideration which could hurt our chances of landing good candidates. 

I think it's very clear cut.  If you're holding on to a failing coach so you can do facilities upgrades, you're expecting way too much out of some nice shiny facilities.

Will it look bad?  Yes.  All bad investments look bad.  You have to eat some humble pie and sell at a loss.  But inaction doesn't solve any problems.

I think most coaches could look at 8-5, 7-6, 8-5, 1-4, 6-6 as ample reason to fire a coach regardless of what or when a deal was struck.  It's not like they'd have to worry about getting fired and going hungry.  Gus would be leaving with a golden parachute for his efforts.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is what I will say. You either choose to make a decision to pull the plug now or continue to let the body rot. If he goes 5-7 and you basically choose to hold on to him for the buy out , then don’t complain when things don’t get any better in the next two years. Don’t complain about recruiting , don’t complain about losing to Mississippi State, don't complain about decreased ticket sales and fan support.

That's just it - people are complaining NOW while AU sits at 4-3 with the rest of the season still ahead of us.  The complaints this exact same time last year were here the complaints were here this same time in 2016....in 2015.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

don't complain about decreased ticket sales and fan support.

This is the only reason why I’d consider tbe firing. I can put up with the losses by itself. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

That's just it - people are complaining NOW while AU sits at 4-3 with the rest of the season still ahead of us.  The complaints this exact same time last year were here the complaints were here this same time in 2016....in 2015.

So if things keep getting worse, why wait to finally just separate? No point on harping on the contract. It was clearly a bad decision. Now, you got to decide what is in the best interest of Auburn. Of course, I am speaking in terms of him being 5-7. If he goes 6-6, I think he buys himself some more time. However, I also think it is dependent on how the team is competing.

2 hours ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Everything else has been already. Hear me on this...

Gus is stuck in this contract just like we are. 

Obviously. He is adapting slower than we want. Probably due to his ego that his offensive system is great and he is smarter than everyone.

During '15 & '16, we forced him to change OC and let go of playcalling. He has not genuinely done that. He is the most stubborn coach I've seen. I can't listen to him talk anymore.

I say, Don't fire him. Don't offer him the easy way out...while costing AU millions. This will answer a lot of questions. Buying him out answers nothing.

If he is going to be this stubborn, I want to see him humiliated on the sidelines. I don't care if we lose every game, I want to see what kind of human Gus Malzahn is.

You got two options Mr. Gus Malzahn.

1. Win

2. Lose

Either way, you are stuck on Auburn's sideline.

Dislike utilized!!

Just now, DAG said:

Exactly. But I don't know why anyone thinks someone is going to commit to a football-only facility with mediocre results, either.

Well that's true at Auburn I suppose but it's not good long term planning. It's also why we are the only SEC West school without a major stadium renovation in the last 30 years too. Meanwhile those 'elite' SEC programs like Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss St and Missouri are spending big money on their facilities. Did you ever notice even when we are winning it doesn't get done either. 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think it's very clear cut.  If you're holding on to a failing coach so you can do facilities upgrades, you're expecting way too much out of some nice shiny facilities.

At least the facilities are permanent and can help attract recruits and coaches. Gus is a failing coach this year. There are no guarantees that the next year or the next year will also be 7 win seasons. 

We could luck up by saying no to paying 7 million toward the buyout this year, and then Gus goes on to have a 10 win season next year, and we have a Football only facility up, before we have to hire the next coach. Or he could flame out next year and we still avoided paying an extra 7 million while still having the facilities. 

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Well that's true at Auburn I suppose but it's not good long term planning. It's also why we are the only SEC West school without a major stadium renovation in the last 30 years too. Meanwhile those 'elite' SEC programs like Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss St and Missouri are spending big money on their facilities. Did you ever notice even when we are winning it doesn't get done either. 

We don't win at a high rate consistently. As far as Missouri, Mississippi state and ole miss goes... Those wonderful facilities haven't done much for their success rate or relevancy. I am all for renovations, but I prioritize winning above all. As AD Greene said, the best way to get everyone on board is to win (I am paraphrasing of course).

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also, we have a dislike button now? When did this happen? Lol

Gus brought out the dislike in us. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

So if things keep getting worse, why wait to finally just separate? No point on harping on the contract. It was clearly a bad decision. Now, you got to decide what is in the best interest of Auburn. Of course, I am speaking in terms of him being 5-7. If he goes 6-6, I think he buys himself some more time. However, I also think it is dependent on how the team is competing.

Cut bait if he goes 5-7!  But I'd lay $$ (not too much) on him beating OM/Liberty (he could eek out an aTm win) which gets him to 6-6/7-5 reg season I'd lay even more $$ on the fact that you and I will be perched up in here having the exact same conversations we're having today.  

CGM is in over his head, we have solid data over an extended period of time to show what he is capable of at the SEC level. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Cut bait if he goes 5-7!  But I'd lay $$ (not too much) on him beating OM/Liberty (he could eek out an aTm win) which gets him to 6-6/7-5 reg season I'd lay even more $$ on the fact that you and I will be perched up in here having the exact same conversations we're having today.  

CGM is in over his head, we have solid data over an extended period of time to show what he is capable of at the SEC level. 

I do think he will be 6-6. I don't think he gets fired. 

41 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Assuming for a moment that the reason we don't have the money for various projects is that we really don't have the money, rather than the money people being unwilling to put up that money to help a coach they no longer believe in...

What is more important to the success of a football program:  facilities upgrades or the head coach/coaching staff?  If you had to choose one or the other, which do you think would pay dividends on the field faster?

You get rid of a lame duck coach that has had 5.5 years of control, with plenty of talent. Yes, new facilities are attractive to recruits, but look at GA! They are just now getting some top notch facilities integrated and they have been a relatively stable program for many years. Gus' donation towards upgrades or new facilities was nothing more than a ploy to save face. He knew this team was not good from the get go. And now today, he gives CL a vote of confidence. It's been the same old song and dance w him since his first year. He's not brilliant and definitely not hard to read. My opinion! 

3 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

It's been the same old song and dance w him since his first year. He's not brilliant and definitely not hard to read. My opinion! 

He's washed up and won't adapt, its that simple. 

Bill Clark is the guy we need. Very good at defense, and very cheap. He's coached all over Alabama would be able to recruit top Alabama prospects. 

8 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

That's what irritates me when people regurgitate the "money is no problem" and "don't underestimate the money people - they have enough to do whatevah".  In the wake of AU's only NC in +50 yrs and as we've experienced one of the best decades in AU football history, we still don't see the money folks opening their wallets for a major stadium renovation?

They're quick to step behind a $49mm/7yr guaranteed contract for a middling HC - AND when the season looks like it'll end up like '14/'15 or '16 they're all willing to pony up $20mm to can the current crew and bring in a new one. :dead:

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

We don't win at a high rate consistently. As far as Missouri, Mississippi state and ole miss goes... Those wonderful facilities haven't done much for their success rate or relevancy. I am all for renovations, but I prioritize winning above all. As AD Greene said, the best way to get everyone on board is to win (I am paraphrasing of course).

DAG my friend, you know as well as I do that the consistency thing has been used on us for decades. Meanwhile we have an erector set of steel in the North end and facilities being built up all around us at other SEC programs. We don't want losing seasons but I think I would accept losing much better if I knew we had a new football facility to offset it. Roll the dice to not having losing seasons vs getting a facility ? At least we would have something to show for it. I dunno, we are in a tough situation no matter which way we go.

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

DAG my friend, you know as well as I do that the consistency thing has been used on us for decades. Meanwhile we have an erector set of steel in the North end and facilities being built up all around us at other SEC programs. We don't want losing seasons but I think I would accept losing much better if I knew we had a new football facility to offset it. Roll the dice to not having losing seasons vs getting a facility ? At least we would have something to show for it. I dunno, we are in a tough situation no matter which way we go.

You make a good argument. It is just my preference. 

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is what I will say. You either choose to make a decision to pull the plug now or continue to let the body rot. If he goes 5-7 and you basically choose to hold on to him for the buy out , then don’t complain when things don’t get any better in the next two years. Don’t complain about recruiting , don’t complain about losing to Mississippi State, don't complain about decreased ticket sales and fan support.

Agreed. Either way, the program is screwed for at least 2 to 3 seasons. I nearly got run off from another post, but the former AD, current President and many on the BOT may be some of the most inept people on earth. It's well known that the AU BOT interferes with more than they should, but it's their money and they can do what they want to. But, even w all the talented football classes we get, you still need a coach that knows what they are doing and the current HC has absolutely no idea how to correct a problem, much less get a team to change course at halftime of a game. 

2 hours ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

This is option 3. AU spends $60M, with no guarantee the next coach works out, and we learn nothing about Gus.

Firing Gus after this season is a bad move.

I totally agree.  He should be fired this week.  We've seen a plenty big enough sample size.  It's never going to get any better, just more seasons oscillating between 5 and 8 wins and underachieving our talent base.  It's clear to me that 2013 was an aberration.   

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Golf, you have your pulse on things.  What odds would you put on him returning if we end up 6-6 or 5-7?

If we continue to look as bad as we have and lose all the games I would say 10% I know the money is there but I still a have a hard time paying him 32 mil to go away. That's just me but if it get like to lossing the team/players/total meltdown he's gone. I do know the big PTB are very unhappy

We shall see what happens in the next 6 weeks going to be a wild ride

Don't forget about Dr. Leath his ass is on the line as bad as Gus

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

Nah, that might work one out of every ten years.  

Now, I used to coach youth football and had a good feel for offensive and defensive game plans.  I am not opposed to making adjustments either.  I'll take the job for a cool $1M per year plus bonuses.  

When can you start? 

Gus is stuck in his new contract? yeah right. I didn't see or read anything about Gus stopping people from agreeing to his 7 year 49 million contract. Did you???

Archived