Don't Fire Gus Malzahn

SKIPPER_01

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Maybe so, but we would find out what Gus is made of.

Right now, the fan base is split.

I want the question answered.

Six years in, the entire college football world knows what Gus Malzhan is made of.  You say the fan base is split, show me the serious sunshine pumpers supporting this current regime.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

According to some very connected posters on this site and others, the odds are increasingly likely that he is gone, especially if we end up 5-7.

Let me preface this by saying that I left the Gus bus last year after the Clemson game. I am not a fan. However... Who would pony up $30+ million to let him go and then another several million for a contract for another coach? And who would we get? Also this would kill the recruiting class we have which is pretty darn good. 

I just think this is all a pipe dream and we are stuck with him no matter what for at least a year or 2. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Six years in, the entire college football world knows what Gus Malzhan is made of.  You say the fan base is split, show me the serious sunshine pumpers supporting this current regime.

Mikey’s absence is deafening. 

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I worked for a company that had that same philosophy.  It went into bankruptcy twice before it healed itself.  It took years to recover.  Auburn doesn’t need to engage in a power play with a coach with an ego, it has the upper hand regardless of the buyout.  He put us over a barrel once, don’t let him do it again.

Corect. AU football is a business. In the business world if an individual is performing at an unacceptable level, they are generally shown the door. This contract was just a flat out awful business decision, but in no way does it mean the company has to accept or be happy w the return on investment. Bankruptcy or in this case, years of sub- par performance down the road is not worth letting an employee that is a bad at their job, continue to destroy the company/team. 

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Let me preface this by saying that I left the Gus bus last year after the Clemson game. I am not a fan. However... Who would pony up $30+ million to let him go and then another several million for a contract for another coach? And who would we get? Also this would kill the recruiting class we have which is pretty darn good. 

I just think this is all a pipe dream and we are stuck with him no matter what for at least a year or 2. 

I think you underestimate rich people's desire for success.  Again though, we don't need $30M this year.  That's the misnomer here.  It's $15M up front and then $4M per year for four years after.  The profits that our AD makes can more than cover the year-by-year payout after the initial payment.

As for who would we get, no idea.  Probably an up and comer.  I do think we'd be the most attractive job on the market this year.  And look at this way: you can risk one recruiting class by getting rid of Gus or risk setting the entire program back years by keeping him.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Mikey’s absence is deafening. 

Indeed!

There a couple of others that are quiet as church mice or the only thing positive they can find to post about are the bands and good humor of the visiting fans.  :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Everything else has been already. Hear me on this...

Gus is stuck in this contract just like we are. 

Obviously. He is adapting slower than we want. Probably due to his ego that his offensive system is great and he is smarter than everyone.

During '15 & '16, we forced him to change OC and let go of playcalling. He has not genuinely done that. He is the most stubborn coach I've seen. I can't listen to him talk anymore.

I say, Don't fire him. Don't offer him the easy way out...while costing AU millions. This will answer a lot of questions. Buying him out answers nothing.

If he is going to be this stubborn, I want to see him humiliated on the sidelines. I don't care if we lose every game, I want to see what kind of human Gus Malzahn is.

You got two options Mr. Gus Malzahn.

1. Win

2. Lose

Either way, you are stuck on Auburn's sideline.

Did you hit your head really hard before posting this?

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

Exactly. And this is what i don't understand from the Gus supporters. Exactly how many times does he have to show who he is before they realize he's not changing. Continuously hiding behind excuses on the fact that certain players were either hurt or not "the guy" for our team to succeed at a high level. It's HIS JOB to have backup plans. HIS JOB to develop all the talent recruited. Maybe wins against UGA and Bama blinded people but i just don't get how some don't see the pattern years after years. You have coaches in CFB going into big programs and making them better in year 1 or 2 but we're still desperately hoping and praying for Gus to figure it out the NEXT year of a season. 

49 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Maybe so, but we would find out what Gus is made of.

Right now, the fan base is split.

I want the question answered.

That fan base split is getting bigger every day. Right now Gus has very few fans on his side especially PTB

I want to give Gus all the credit in the world fron taking us from 3-9 to 12-2. That was remarkable. No matter how many fortunate bounces we got, that was awesome. 

But he deserves all the blame he's getting for everything since then. Inexcusable elementary issues keep rearing their ugly head and don't get fixed. It's the repeat coaching 101 blunders that really make it crystal clear that Gus does not need to be heading a program like Auburn. 

And to be clear, his firing would not be a result of a poor year like we are enduring. It will be the culmination of 5 years of poor coaching. 

45 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

I didn't say exactly I want him humiliated.  I said, IF he is going to continue to be so stubborn, then I want him humiliated.

I want him coach better and I want to find out if he can. That's what Auburn is paying for. Firing him now is a bad move, imo.

Auburn is paying millions of dollars, regardless of whether they fire him after this season or keep him and fire him later.  The latter might be cheaper than the former, but the latter also comes with all sorts of unknowns with regard to the present and future of the program.  If he is as stubborn as many say, why would he feel compelled to change that?  What leads you to believe he is not already doing everything to the best of his ability?  What leads you to believe that he can actually coach better than he is currently?  If he can, why has he not been doing so?

This is year six of Gus' tenure, and there is enough evidence to determine that the zebra's stripes are what they are.  While I am glad that firing Gus is not a decision that is mine to make, it has become rather clear that is the correct direction to move forward.

I'm sure there is a clause in his contract about violations being reason for dismissal without paying the buyout.  Somebody set him up for a recruiting violation.  We fire him and beg for mercy from the NCAA.  Take our two year punishment or probation and move on. 😉

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

That fan base split is getting bigger every day. Right now Gus has very few fans on his side especially PTB

Golf, you have your pulse on things.  What odds would you put on him returning if we end up 6-6 or 5-7?

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I'm sure there is a clause in his contract about violations being reason for dismissal without paying the buyout.  Somebody set him up for a recruiting violation.  We fire him and beg for mercy from the NCAA.  Take our two year punishment or probation and move on. 😉

Or give him a pretty young intern and a motorcycle.

27 minutes ago, keesler said:

Uhhh, supporting Gus? Nobody.

Fans are split about what to do now since we are in a $40Mil buyout.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Golf, you have your pulse on things.  What odds would you put on him returning if we end up 6-6 or 5-7?

Good eye..........I know your speaking to Golf...........Willing to bet he believes this is his last season regardless.

4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Call me crazy, but I don’t want to see my beloved university’s football program go down in flames for the sake of a psychology experiment.

How about a "let's see if a high school coach with no adjustments to his system can work in the SEC" experiment? 

9 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Uhhh, supporting Gus? Nobody.

Fans are split about what to do now since we are in a $40Mil buyout.

Fans are not split. If we go 5-7 or even 6-6 I imagine majority will want him run out of town. 

25 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Exactly. And this is what i don't understand from the Gus supporters. Exactly how many times does he have to show who he is before they realize he's not changing. Continuously hiding behind excuses on the fact that certain players were either hurt or not "the guy" for our team to succeed at a high level. It's HIS JOB to have backup plans. HIS JOB to develop all the talent recruited. Maybe wins against UGA and Bama blinded people but i just don't get how some don't see the pattern years after years. You have coaches in CFB going into big programs and making them better in year 1 or 2 but we're still desperately hoping and praying for Gus to figure it out the NEXT year of a season. 

Yep.  Came in like a comet going 12-2 his first year.  Since then...

8-5
7-6
8-5
10-4
6-6 (likely)

And that 10-4 was an SEC championship and CFP appearance botched by his complete lack of roster management and recruiting at one of the most important positions in his offense - tailback.  Lose one good RB and the offense goes completely in the tank because there's nothing behind him.  And don't give me Pettway - that's a band-aid solution out of necessity.  He's a fullback with above average running ability.  Now Kerryon leaves and we're throwing RS freshmen who played QB in HS into the fray as our only viable option.

At what point does it sink into the "keep Gus" crowd that the mediocre and underperforming seasons are the norm for Gus and the successes are the anomalies?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Yep.  Came in like a comet going 12-2 his first year.  Since then...

8-5
7-6
8-5
10-4
6-6 (likely)

And that 10-4 was botched by his complete lack of roster management and recruiting at one of the most important positions in his offense - tailback.  Lose one good RB and the offense goes completely in the tank because there's nothing behind him.  And don't give me Pettway - that's a band-aid solution out of necessity.  He's a fullback with above average running ability.  Now Kerryon leaves and we're throwing RS freshmen who played QB in HS into the fray as our only viable option.

At what point does it sink into the "keep Gus" crowd that the mediocre and underperforming seasons are the norm for Gus and the successes are the anomalies?

But who else out there can we get that is proven?! 

Yellow font needed

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Did you hit your head really hard before posting this?

I did go to the dentist this morning. Maybe it was the flouride.

Haha.

Tbh, I did not think this board was so lopsided in believing he should be fired this yr. I'm not supporting Gus, can't stand him. I'm just talking about the buyout. 

Maybe I do still have a glimmer of wonder if he can turn it around...again.

Probably the flouride.

Archived