Don't Fire Gus Malzahn

SKIPPER_01

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Also, we have a dislike button now? When did this happen? Lol

I added it last week but turned it on today.  Some folks felt like they needed a reaction icon other than facepalm because sometimes you just disagree or dislike a post but facepalm also implies "you're stupid for even posting this" and they didn't want to go that far.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

At least the facilities are permanent and can help attract recruits and coaches. Gus is a failing coach this year. There are no guarantees that the next year or the next year will also be 7 win seasons. 

We could luck up by saying no to paying 7 million toward the buyout this year, and then Gus goes on to have a 10 win season next year, and we have a Football only facility up, before we have to hire the next coach. Or he could flame out next year and we still avoided paying an extra 7 million while still having the facilities. 

I don't think facilities attract recruits unless the coaching is good.  No amount of fancy baubles is going to change the track record Malzahn has put forth.

If we lose to OM, A&M, UGA and UAT, the only win we "MIGHT" get is against Liberty. So if all that plays out, we end 2018 at 5-7.

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If we lose to OM, A&M, UGA and UAT, the only win we "MIGHT" get is against Liberty. So if all that plays out, we end 2018 at 5-7.

Yes, we can all do math.

1 hour ago, jimpecht said:

I totally agree.  He should be fired this week.  We've seen a plenty big enough sample size.  It's never going to get any better, just more seasons oscillating between 5 and 8 wins and underachieving our talent base.  It's clear to me that 2013 was an aberration.   

Agreed 13 was a complete facade! The longer he's here , the further the program suffers continual setbacks. For crying out loud, Ole Miss got hammered by violations and is still looking better than us under a coach with about a years worth of experience. Gus has had too much time and some of the best resources in college ball and is still unable to succeed. And on a different note, another post claims he has Saban's number! That's a joke. One win on a miracle play and then last year. He has only kept Saban from one NC! Trust me, Saban pays Gus Malzahn coached teams no more attention than he would an FCS school.  

19 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Now you're just showing off...

2 hours ago, DAG said:

This is what I will say. You either choose to make a decision to pull the plug now or continue to let the body rot. If he goes 5-7 and you basically choose to hold on to him for the buy out , then don’t complain when things don’t get any better in the next two years. Don’t complain about recruiting , don’t complain about losing to Mississippi State, don't complain about decreased ticket sales and fan support.

My OP is in total agreement with your body rot option. 

You won't hear a peep out of me. Frick it

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

The ridiculous thing in this is Gus would get $32.5 million if fired, his staff about $4-$5 million in a buyout, then we would pay another $5-$7 million for a new HC and staff the first year. That's $44 million give or take. A new 'football only' facility is somewhere between $40-$50 million and we still don't have one. 

This is exactly where I'm at. With my OP adding the possibilty that Gus may possess the gumption and brain power to win some games.

If not, frick him. But I feel like it's worth keeping $44Mil to see this thing play out a couple years.

2 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

You’re embracing the darkness, and it’s beautiful:-)

thanks for this, it will allow me to enjoy it for the remainder of his tenure.

You get it. Have an upvote. 

My biggest fear is that we pay the buyout and get another coach that isn't ready for primetime. I defended Gus a lot longer than most but I don't see a way for him to right the ship. All that said if we can't hire someone that would make a big splash with a proven record of winning I am not sure we shouldn't keep Gus another year. I don't except us to get better but I don't want us to hire another experiment and get worse ( Yes it could happen). The names I have seen for the most part don't thrill me much. Most seem like Coaches we think may do well on the big stage but we don't know. I could go down the list but most of them have either not been on the big stage or didn't make it when they were. I would only be in favor of cutting him loose unless we can make a splash. Please don't get me wrong I don't think Gus is doing even mediocre and I don't want to keep him I'm just saying don't throw all that money away unless we have a very good replacement.  I want to get the Bruce Pearl of Football.    

39 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

For crying out loud, Ole Miss got hammered by violations and is still looking better than us under a coach with about a years worth of experience.

Ole Miss lost to bama by 55 and to LSU by 29, so I wouldn’t go that far just yet.

16 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Ole Miss lost to bama by 55 and to LSU by 29, so I wouldn’t go that far just yet.

More to the point here is they have an excuse for being terrible, new coach with little experience and hammered with violations. We, on the other hand, are in our sixth year of over paid Gus and are a dumpster fire, and each week getting worse. Many would say Ole Miss is in better shape for progress. It does not appear we are on a better path.

Just now, drush said:

More to the point here is they have an excuse for being terrible, new coach with little experience and hammered with violations. We, on the other hand, are in our sixth year of over paid Gus and are a dumpster fire, and each week getting worse. Many would say Ole Miss is in better shape for progress. It does not appear we are on a better path.

I agree, Gus has had more than enough time and opportunity to get us where we need to be. I saw this from another board:

As of Saturday October 13th 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

2-3 Vs Alabama 
2-4 Vs Georgia 
2-4 Vs LSU 
1-4 in bowl games 
0-3 in bowl games vs P-5 teams 
0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens, and Tuscaloosa 
26-18 vs SEC opponents 
10-9 vs SEC opponents on the road 
4-5 vs non-conference P-5 teams 
0-2 in NY6 Bowls 
1st loss to a non P-5 team in 27 years 
1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) 
0 playoff appearances 
0 National Titles 

We know what we have with Gus.

22 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

And you honestly think that is a measuring block for our team this year? They have a coach who had had about one year on the job and is also dealing w loss of scholarship players, yet their QB seems to be light years ahead of ours.. Sad to say, but they seem at the moment to be a better run program than us and there simply is no excuse for that w a more talented team and a 6th year HC. It's so plain to see. 

5 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I agree, Gus has had more than enough time and opportunity to get us where we need to be. I saw this from another board:

2-3 Vs Alabama 
2-4 Vs Georgia 
2-4 Vs LSU 
1-4 in bowl games 
26-18 vs SEC opponents 
0-2 in NY6 Bowls 
0 playoff appearances 
0 National Titles 

Agreed. Will not get better. Ceiling is busted and new Sheetrock is needed. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think facilities attract recruits unless the coaching is good.  No amount of fancy baubles is going to change the track record Malzahn has put forth.

I don’t know, man. We aren’t even guaranteed that the next coach will be a good coach. We do, however, have the opportunity to eliminate 7 million off the buyout and use that money for countless other positive reasons around the athletic department. Including richly compensating Pearl after another NCAA tournament appearance if that chance arises. I don’t like tbe idea of having to devote so much money to a coach just for him to leave( especially since we are a repeat offender of this.)Like others have said, we can talk about having the kind of money that can handle the immense amount of buyouts and new salaries, and tbe various projects, but I’ve yet to see proof that we have that kind of money readily accessible. 

Anyways, I don’t think Gus is as bad of a coach that y’all make him out to be either. He’s not bad enough to justify the buyout especially. I think he let poor OL recruiting catch up to him, and he lost some credibility trying to prove he could win with a pocket passer. Still, we were only win away from the playoffs last year. Why the rush? 7 games into the new contract we are already trying to get rid of him. You made a thread calling for his firing last year after the LSU game, yet we went on a great run afterwards. We deserve the egg on our faces if we keep hiring and hinting or outright firing coaches over not meeting the expectations year by year.

We’re not going to agree on this topic, and that’s cool. 

4 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

And you honestly think that is a measuring block for our team this year? They have a coach who had had about one year on the job and is also dealing w loss of scholarship players, yet their QB seems to be light years ahead of ours.. Sad to say, but they seem at the moment to be a better run program than us and there simply is no excuse for that w a more talented team and a 6th year HC. It's so plain to see. 

You were the one comparing us to Ole Miss, not me. I was simply saying against real competition they’ve looked like trash. I agree that their QB has looked light years ahead of Stidham and that all goes back to coaching and putting your players in a position to be successful. Their coach understands his QB’s strengths, unfortunately ours doesn’t seem to have a clue.

Hasn't Gus already been humiliated? It can't get anymore rock bottom than getting thumped at home by a team that hasn't won an SEC game since 2016. Going from a title contending aspiration at the start of the season to SEC doormat in a matter of weeks basically sums up Gus' tenure at Auburn. Gus is already a laughing stock. 

"Bottom line is we have to getter better and we will,. I can promise you that" has been his ongoing schtick for the last 5 years yet,  Auburn continues to underachieve under his leadership and recruiting is starting to suffer because of it. 

How much worse can it get? Having to keep an ineffective,  incompetent head coach on payroll for the next 3-4 years because he's too expensive to buyout and recruits who'll go elsewhere because they don't have faith in the coaching staff. I expect it to get much worse before it gets a tiny bit better.

23 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

2-3 Vs Alabama 
2-4 Vs Georgia 
2-4 Vs LSU 
1-4 in bowl games 
26-18 vs SEC opponents 
0-2 in NY6 Bowls 
0 playoff appearances 
0 National Titles 

0-2 against Ed Orgeron,  LMAO. You casn't make this stuff up.

You can't spell medgusocrity without spelling Gus.

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

Having to keep an ineffective,  incompetent head coach on payroll for the next 3-4 years because he's too expensive to buyout 

That would stop the reckless contract recidivism problem dead in its tracks. Silver lining?

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The only reason we keep going mediocre results is because we keep hiring head coaches that's far worse then medicocre

:dunno: So basically the coaches are getting better results than expected? 

6 hours ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

That is the question, will Gus go into "bankruptcy" before he heals himself?

Or can he adapt and fix things?

I want to know the answer and firing does nothing.

I like your thread.  For some reason, a few people around here can't seem to enjoy speculation, and enjoy demeaning other people's posts.

I see what you mean.  This thread is tangentially similar to the thread I made which pondered the possibility of Gus retiring, which admittedly is a fringe topic.

I asked this question in that thread (paraphrasing): "Is there any circumstance under which Gus would resign?"

If we followed your premise, and let him sink or swim for the next 7 years with no buyout, there is a possibility (however small) that he would reach a point where the losing, embarrassment, ridicule, humiliation, and complete loss of reputation would make resignation a not-so-bad alternative, considering that he will at that time have $15 million in the bank (if not much more).

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I added it last week but turned it on today.  Some folks felt like they needed a reaction icon other than facepalm because sometimes you just disagree or dislike a post but facepalm also implies "you're stupid for even posting this" and they didn't want to go that far.

I'd like to kindly and respectfully encourage the elimination of both the "Face Palm" and "Dislike" buttons.  Kinda in the spirit of "Say something nice, or nothing at all"...

If people disagree, that's fine.  They can post and explain their disagreement in a respectful manner and actually participate, instead of just giving a middle finger.

Archived