Michael Vick hit with sexual lawsuit

SouthLink02

If Vick knew beforehand, he is scum.

But, people pass STDs all the time. Its a risk that comes with sleeping around. This woman had to know what she was getting in to.

I have never exhonnerated Michael Vick and claimed he had no fault. But to just blindly trust that ANYONE who is as sexually active as an NFL football player has no STDs is not only ignorant, but self-destructive. I believe she should live with the consequences of HER choice.

Vick deserves a swift kick in the pants and he deserves to pay her for the damages. But, I don't think a court should order him to do so. I (foolishly) believe in the power of free-will and the consequences that surround those choices.

R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

It's something BOTH parties need to look into.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reckless endangerment insinuates that either her life was threatened or she was intentionally put into a physically or mentally threatening situation. she chose to open herself to that risk AND herpes is in no way fatal. it sucks to have herpes b/c no one likes a burning sensation, but it's not going to kill her. like someone mentioned earlier, if you do this with HIV you can go to the pen. this isn't even comparable to that.

the fact is mike's an a-hole. there's no doubt about that, but i just have a really hard time feeling sorry for this girl even a little. and i know for a fact that i would gladly represent mike vick as a defense lawyer over siding with her to get money out of the deal. money won't erase her herpes. but if it makes you feel like the situation is more just to see him lose money, you can rest easy. i'll lay odds at 100 to 1 this never sees court, and she walks away a few mil richer in a settlement.

154528[/snapback]

Reckless endangerment does not require that a person be subjected to a risk of death, at least in most jurisdictions. But having herpes makes you more susceptible to HIV and other STDs. Other jurisdictions have crafted specific laws for knowingly exposing others to an STD.

I have no qualms about an attorney representing either party, but you seem to imply that you would prefer to represent him because he is in the morally superior position, and I just can't fathom why you think that, whether you feel particularly sorry for her or not.

this case ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on a rape case. none. zero. zilch. she WANTED TO HAVE SEX WITH HIM. your friend's story is something i would not only expect a lawsuit from, but i would expect a jail sentence. what that guy did was completely illegal in civil or criminal court. what vick did was neither. yes, if you have consensual sex with someone you aren't married to (or someone you know on an equally intimate level as marriage) without protection, you have have ZERO room for complaint.

she got a lifetime friend that no one wants around out of the deal, and i feel sorry for her. but she has no business suing over it. if my sister was screwing anyone without protection, she's on her own if she gets an std. that's just that. sucks for you, but it's your mistake.

also, do you all think i could get a falcons number 7 jersey with ron mexico or just mexico on the back? THAT would be classic.

oh and my alias everytime i go to the beach or whatever is taylor wright. dunno why. just off the top of my head.

154491[/snapback]

Actually I think the Regular Guys here in Atlanta are going to sell t shirts with a number 7 and Ron mexico on the back. Check www.640wgst.com

Now she has to tell every man she is ever with for the rest of her life - oh, by the way, you need to know that if we have sex, you might get it. 

154486[/snapback]

Jen,

At least your friend shows more integrity and honesty than Michael Vick by informing her potential lovers! And clearly in her case, i.e., rape, I agree that there is not only a civil case but also a criminal case here! She has my full sympathy.

As I said before, I share your alarm at some on here who seem to imply that the woman is solely responsible for her condition. Vick most certainly shares in the blame and sounds like the more reprehensible of the two. Michael Vick is a scumbag if he did not tell her about his condition. I also think he is wrong even if he told her, but proceeded to entice/seduce her, against her better judgement, into sex without a condom anyway.

However, in this case--consensual sex--the woman cannot be held 100% blameless for her own careless behavior. She shares responsibiilty for the consequences of her actions.

I'd have to be privy to all the information the jury will get regarding the extent and nature of their long-term relationship & her prior knowledge of his sexual history (and even perhaps information that might not be admissible in court--like the pattern of sexual activities of both prior to each other) before I would have any idea about appropriate monetary damages.

It sounds to me like you guys are all assuming that this woman was just wanting to be a starscrewer - if you read the actual news account, they had had a non-sexual relationship for a while before actually sleeping together.

There is also the implication being made on this baord that she probably sleeps around just because she wanted to sleep with Michael Vick. Does that mean that no one can ever have feelings for an athlete? What about Brett Farve's wife - wonder if she loves him? If this woman didn't jump into bed with Vick at the very first opportunity, then maybe she actually had feelings for him, and thought they might be reciprocal, and their sex was the natural progression of things.

The other implication here that bothers me is that "ALL PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES AHVE HAD SEX WITH A MILLION WOMEN AND THEY ALL HAVE STD'S." Yes, in this day and age, you should always use a condom with a new partner or one whose sexual past you may be unsure about. But guess what? Even a condom won't stop herpes - the sores are not limited to one area - they can be anywhere - and they don't even have to be present for someone to get infected.

And maybe for a guy, it's well damn, it burns, but that is no biggie. Well, for all of you rocket scientists who have no personal experience, a woman's anatomy is a bit different from a man's, and there is a big difference between having a blister OUTSIDE your body and one INSIDE your body. Try going to the bathroom without getting any urine on a blister and see how fun THAT is. She nearly dehydrated herself to avoid going to the bathroom. Not only that, but this woman will most likely have to have any child she ever has by C-Section, because herpes can KILL a child (learned that in child birth class - Yep, KILL A CHILD.) So much for the experience of natural childbirth. I can tell you from my friend's experiences, the toll it takes on a woman is a million times worse than the toll it takes on a man.

So yeah, shame on her for not insisting that this jerk were a condom. But the bottom line is that HE FREAKING KNEW AND DID NOT RESPECT HER ENOUGH TO TELL HER ABOUT IT BECAUSE HE WAS MORE INTERESTED IN GETTING LAID, NEVER MIND THAT HIS ARROGANCE COULD RUIN HER LIFE FOREVER. There is NO defense for his actions - her carelessness should have NO bearing on this.

And on another note - I am sure none of you guys ever convinced a woman at the moment of truth to forgo a condom - heaven forbid YOUR pleasure take a backseat to protection.

I would also be willing to bet that her main reason for bringing the suit was to ruin his love life - altho I am sure there are plenty of women out there who could care less - and if they have sex wtih him now, they DO get what they deserve.

You know, you guys saying that she knew the dangers of unprotected sex would be correct if it was a case where she had just met him and had sex that night. But, apparrently they had been having some type of relationship for a year or so. I'm sure she felt after all that time, he would have said something about his condition.

As far as knowing the dangers, I know it's a danger to get out on the highway that a drunk driver may run over me, but I still do it. I know it's a danger that I may get food poisoning at a restraunt, but I still go to them. The thing is, after knowing him for the amount of time she did, she felt safe with him and trusted him. Well, not only did he break that trust, but he gave her a disease that she will have the rest of her life. Now, she can't have children, and her sex life and chances of finding a husband are basically shot to hell. If he knew he had Herpes, it was HIS responsability to inform her of his condition before intercourse. Like I said, Vick deserves to pay all medical bills related to the disease and do some jail time for reckless endangerment in my opinion.

Jen, could you tell us more about that female anatomy? I need to know what I'm gettin' into these days!! *grin*

And a tip for you fellows who have the bad luck of having a gal that demands you wear a condom. . . get the ribbed kind and turn 'em inside out for maximum pleasure! *grin*

[High fives all around the locker room.] Guess it's just too confusin' trying to be a compassionate male, huh? *grin*

You know, you guys saying that she knew the dangers of unprotected sex would be correct if it was a case where she had just met him and had sex that night. But, apparrently they had been having some type of relationship for a year or so. I'm sure she felt after all that time, he would have said something about his condition.

As far as knowing the dangers, I know it's a danger to get out on the highway that a drunk driver may run over me, but I still do it. I know it's a danger that I may get food poisoning at a restraunt, but I still go to them. The thing is, after knowing him for the amount of time she did, she felt safe with him and trusted him. Well, not only did he break that trust, but he gave her a disease that she will have the rest of her life. Now, she can't have children, and her sex life and chances of finding a husband are basically shot to hell. If he knew he had Herpes, it was HIS responsability to inform her of his condition before intercourse. Like I said, Vick deserves to pay all medical bills related to the disease and do some jail time for reckless endangerment in my opinion.

154572[/snapback]

#1 She CAN have children, I know several people with it that have children. They give you medicine before the baby is born so that you don't break out with it while in child birth and if you are you can have a c section.

#2 Even if she did "trust" him she STILL should have used protection, not defending him because it was his responsibility to tell her BUT she should have used good judgement in making decisions about sex it is 2005 not 1945.

#3 If she chooses to tell the person she is dating she just might come across a guy who will love her and marry her, the people I know who have it are and they didn't get it from their partner.

#1 She CAN have children, I know several people with it that have children.  They give you medicine before the baby is born so that you don't break out with it while in child birth and if you are you can have a c section.

154620[/snapback]

From what I learned in childbirth class, yes, you can take Valtrex prophilactically and can have a natural childbirth if you want to, unless you have an outbreak. But the nurse told us that Valtrex does not always stop an outbreak - it just lessens the chances - so there is still a chance that you could give it to the child because sometimes the virus is present before the blisters appear - AND HERPES WILL KILL A CHILD. My ob also lectured at the class about c-sections, and as part of his presentation, he stated that he recommends a c-section for women with herpes. So if you are the woman, or even her husband, and you knew that there was even a 1/2 of 1% chance that having a natural childbirth could kill your child, would you consider this worth the risk????? Or would you have the C-section, even with all the risks associated therewith? Either way, this woman's life is now full of choices she should never have had to make.

My friend is now in a serious relationship, and will probably marry, and the guy knows. But can you imagine how hard it has been for her to know WHEN the moment is right for her to tell a guy? When she decides he cares enough about her to educate himself and be willing to accept the risks? And what to do if he runs from the room screaming and never sees her again? Or even worse, acts like some of you guys and tells everyone they know that she has "the herps" and laughs about how she might have gotten it??? To my knowlege, her parents do not know. What if they found out? What if the medical bills come across the desk of someone in her company's HR department, and then THEY know she is infected? Of course, just like you clowns, the immediate reaction is "Tramp, whore, slut" - NEVER MIND that she had to get it from SOMEONE... like a GUY. Or when an outbreak shows up right before a vacation or an anniversary or even your honeymoon??? FABULOUS circumstances.

Obviously, this is a HUGE issue for me because of my friend, but even if she weren't one of my best buds, I would still be shocked at your replies. Jim Rome made a big to-do yesterday, but he was critical of Vick - LIKE YOU GUYS ALL SHOULD BE. From some of you, I would expect no better - your previous posts never left me with any illusion about your personalities. But some of you have really shocked me with your responses. Very disappointed in you.

[High fives all around the locker room.]  Guess it's just too confusin' trying to be a compassionate male, huh?  *grin*

154617[/snapback]

With a few rare exceptions (including but not limited to you and Texas), there have not been too many compassionate males on this thread... :no:

it was for a while.

and there are a LOT of cases that have absolutely no court merit that get settled for cash all the time. hell, since we're on athletes: kobe bryant. that girl had zero shot of winning that rape trial. so what did they do? dropped the criminal case, held up the civil suit until kobe, in an effort to avoid missing time to go to court and avoid the cost of legal representation and avoid the would-be very public trial, settled out of court for a large undisclosed amount of cash.

this case will be the exact same. it'll never darken the door of a court room despite the fact that i don't think she has a leg to stand on. and tex i'm not talking about moral highground (vick was so wrong for what he did; she's no saint for screwing him out of wedlock, friends or no). i'd represent him b/c i don't think she should be able to benefit from a stupid mistake. it's legal highground in my eyes, not moral.

[High fives all around the locker room.]  Guess it's just too confusin' trying to be a compassionate male, huh?  *grin*

154617[/snapback]

With a few rare exceptions (including but not limited to you and Texas), there have not been too many compassionate males on this thread... :no:

154642[/snapback]

You're not making any distinction b/w compassion and the opinion that she doesn't deserve damages in a lawsuit. Almost everyone on this thread has compassion for this individual, or anyone else with a disease (sexually transmitted or otherwise). Herpes sucks. It sucks that she has herpes. It sucks that Michael Vick gave her herpes. That's compassion. I can say that and say, with equal fervor, that she shouldn't have a case and she doesn't deserve any money.

You may disagree, and you have every right to, but be precise about the discussion. The world is chock full of people I feel damn sorry for, who still don't deserve any money. Being worthy of compassion, and having a right to be paid damages are entirely different things.

154617[/snapback]

154642[/snapback]

You're not making any distinction b/w compassion and the opinion that she doesn't deserve damages in a lawsuit. Almost everyone on this thread has compassion for this individual, or anyone else with a disease (sexually transmitted or otherwise). Herpes sucks. It sucks that she has herpes. It sucks that Michael Vick gave her herpes. That's compassion. I can say that and say, with equal fervor, that she shouldn't have a case and she doesn't deserve any money.

You may disagree, and you have every right to, but be precise about the discussion. The world is chock full of people I feel damn sorry for, who still don't deserve any money. Being worthy of compassion, and having a right to be paid damages are entirely different things.

154650[/snapback]

Well said.....for a Who fan. ;)

You're not making any distinction b/w compassion and the opinion that she doesn't deserve damages in a lawsuit. Almost everyone on this thread has compassion for this individual, or anyone else with a disease (sexually transmitted or otherwise).  Herpes sucks. It sucks that she has herpes. It sucks that Michael Vick gave her herpes. That's compassion. I can say that and say, with equal fervor, that she shouldn't have a case and she doesn't deserve any money.

You may disagree, and you have every right to, but be precise about the discussion. The world is chock full of people I feel damn sorry for, who still don't deserve any money. Being worthy of compassion, and having a right to be paid damages are entirely different  things.

154650[/snapback]

First, very few of the posts have even gone as far as you have and said that is it a damn shame this woman got herpes.

wow, so she's suing him for having consensual sex b/c she wasn't smart enough to tell him to use a rubber? that's bogus. she's a idiot. and now she has herpes. sucks for mike that everyone knows he's got herpes now.
Goodness, I hope she doesn't get by with this claim. If this were Joe Sixpack instead of Michael Vick she'd just go to the local clinic and be done with it. This is all about $$$$$$.

sucks for you, but it's your mistake.

Her suit also says that there are no specified monetary damages. How then can you imply that her coming forward was all about the money????????? Her life is already ruined, but now everyone will know about it, adn will draw the same conclusions you all did about her, her sexual past, her motives, her "starscrewer attitude", etc. It would mostly be in her best interests to keep her mouth shut - thereby allowing him to continue to infect countless other women. I think she is incredibly brave and should be commended for stopping this loser in his tracks.

Her suit also says that there are no specified monetary damages.  How then can you imply that her coming forward was all about the money?????????  Her life is already ruined, but now everyone will know about it, adn will draw the same conclusions you all did about her, her sexual past, her motives, her "starscrewer attitude", etc.  It would mostly be in her best interests to keep her mouth shut - thereby allowing him to continue to infect countless other women.  I think she is incredibly brave and should be commended for stopping this loser in his tracks.

154657[/snapback]

Because there is no other reason for this lawsuit. It was almost certainly taken on a contingency basis. The lawyer will not be paid unless she receives money. The damages are unspecified so that the defendant, Mr. Mexico, doesn't have a starting point for negotiations. He's going to have to guess what this case is worth and make an offer. It's always about the money.

Her suit also says that there are no specified monetary damages.  How then can you imply that her coming forward was all about the money?????????  Her life is already ruined, but now everyone will know about it, adn will draw the same conclusions you all did about her, her sexual past, her motives, her "starscrewer attitude", etc.  It would mostly be in her best interests to keep her mouth shut - thereby allowing him to continue to infect countless other women.  I think she is incredibly brave and should be commended for stopping this loser in his tracks.

154657[/snapback]

Because there is no other reason for this lawsuit. It was almost certainly taken on a contingency basis. The lawyer will not be paid unless she receives money. The damages are unspecified so that the defendant, Mr. Mexico, doesn't have a starting point for negotiations. He's going to have to guess what this case is worth and make an offer. It's always about the money.

154658[/snapback]

Someone upthread said something about it being too bad everyone now knows he has herpes. I think it's a good thing since he doesn't seem to be concerned with informing potential partners. About the money? That's generally how these things work. She might prefer that he assure she was cured, but that isn't really possible, is it?

Someone upthread said something about it being too bad everyone now knows he has herpes.  I think it's a good thing since he doesn't seem to be concerned with informing potential partners.  About the money?  That's generally how these things work.  She might prefer that he assure she was cured, but that isn't really possible, is it?

154706[/snapback]

Sure it's a good thing, but attorneys don't take these types of cases on principle.

if all she was interested in was making sure ronnie mexico didn't infect others all she would've had to do is call a local atl radio station, and say she's got a scoop for them. he couldn't sue her for slander if she announced his sexual history over the air b/c it's true. and i guarantee it would get the same coverage post-interview that it is getting now in print and airplay. no, whatever else you think of her or him or the situation, this is all about the money.

if all she was interested in was making sure ronnie mexico didn't infect others all she would've had to do is call a local atl radio station, and say she's got a scoop for them. he couldn't sue her for slander if she announced his sexual history over the air b/c it's true. and i guarantee it would get the same coverage post-interview that it is getting now in print and airplay. no, whatever else you think of her or him or the situation, this is all about the money.

154797[/snapback]

Yep.

154797[/snapback]

Yep.

154798[/snapback]

AND WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT HER GETTING MONEY OUT OF IT!

Let’s get back to the facts-

---She dated him for OVER A YEAR before they had sex

If anyone here can truly say if they were put in these same shoes they would not trust the person they were with, you are lying.

---HE KNEW HE HAD HERPES

If you have it you know it

---HE KNOWINGLY DECEIVED HER

He admitted he was very sorry but he did not know how to tell her.

---SHE HAS THIS TO DEAL WITH FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE

Negligence on his part

You know the way some of you think, I am realizing how lucky I was not to run into any of you guys when I was single. :no:

154797[/snapback]

Yep.

154798[/snapback]

AND WHAT IS SO WRONG ABOUT HER GETTING MONEY OUT OF IT!

Let’s get back to the facts-

---She dated him for OVER A YEAR before they had sex

If anyone here can truly say if they were put in these same shoes they would not trust the person they were with, you are lying.

---HE KNEW HE HAD HERPES

If you have it you know it

---HE KNOWINGLY DECEIVED HER

He admitted he was very sorry but he did not know how to tell her.

---SHE HAS THIS TO DEAL WITH FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE

Negligence on his part

You know the way some of you think, I am realizing how lucky I was not to run into any of you guys when I was single. :no:

154799[/snapback]

I never said that there was anything wrong with it...if she has a valid legal claim, but Jenny seems to think that this woman is on some principled crusade.

For the record, though, this case has little legal merit and this amounts to extortion.

I've been re-thinking this more in light of the fact that it occurred in a long-term relationship, and can (almost) put myself in her place:

I have an ex-wife from many years ago... After eight years of what I thought was faithful, monogamous marriage, I found out she was cheating on me. Fortunately for me, she did not bring any STD's back into the marriage and we eventually divorced before that could happen. But how would I feel if she had given me herpes (or even AIDS)?

1) I would certainly not feel like I was in any way at fault, nor shared any blame, for having trusted my long-term partner to be faithful and disease-free!

2) I probably would feel entitled to some sort of compensation for the lifetime of misery she had condemned me to!

So any earlier comments I made regarding shared responsibliity and no court case were in tune with my feelings about one-night stands and/or casual sex. In the case of a long-term relationship where a partner has a reasonable expectation of safety, mutual trust, and honesty, I could vote in favor of compensation for damages.

So guys (and/or gals)--how would YOU feel if this occurred in a long-term relationship you were in? What would your reaction be if the person you trusted and loved knowingly caused you permanent bodily harm?

Wow! What a bunch of heartless b*****ds we have on this board.

Because he is a rich athlete, it automatically makes this woman a slut, who is just out to line her pockets.

:no::rolleyes::angryfire:

Archived