Michael Vick hit with sexual lawsuit

SouthLink02

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0405051vick1.html

APRIL 5--Claiming that Michael Vick gave her herpes, a Georgia woman is suing the star NFL quarterback for negligence and battery. According to the below lawsuit, Sonya Elliot, a 26-year-old health care worker, was infected with the sexually transmitted disease in April 2003 after an unprotected encounter with Vick at the athlete's Duluth, Georgia home. Elliott alleges that after testing positive for Herpes Simplex 2, she confronted the Atlanta Falcons star, 24, about her condition. "I've got something to tell you. I've got it," Vick admitted to her, according to Elliott's State Court complaint, which alleges that Vick then told her that "he had not known how to tell her about his condition, and that it was not something that he liked to talk about." Elliott's complaint also contends that Vick "apologized profusely" for not telling her he was infected with the STD.

Elliot's lawsuit alleges that Vick has used the name "Ron Mexico" and, in a related court filing, her lawyers are seeking Vick's admission that he used the "Mexico" alias--and perhaps other fake names--"for the purpose of herpes testing and/or treatment." In her lawsuit, which does not specify monetary damages, Elliott states that she met Vick at a Virginia Beach nightclub in May 2001 and, shortly thereafter, began a close personal relationship with the football star (though the couple did not have sex until late-2002). Last December, Vick, the top overall pick in the 2001 National Football League draft, signed a ten-year, $130 million contract with the Falcons, the richest deal in league history. (17 pages)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, so she's suing him for having consensual sex b/c she wasn't smart enough to tell him to use a rubber? that's bogus. she's a idiot. and now she has herpes. sucks for mike that everyone knows he's got herpes now. burner. ron mexico is a great alias though. i need to come up with something like that for myself.

Goodness, I hope she doesn't get by with this claim. If this were Joe Sixpack instead of Michael Vick she'd just go to the local clinic and be done with it. This is all about $$$$$$.

What a joke. She knew she was having unprotected sex with "Ron Mexico." How STUPID do you have to be to do something like that. :thumbsdown:

Given the current state of affairs concerning "judges" in this country, she WILL "win".

Uh, am I in a jock locker room? Ladies, any other perspectives? If I have an explosive device under the passenger seat of my car and invite you to get in, do I not have a duty to warn you of the consequences?

Mmmm, very seldom am I appalled at the opinions expressed here, but the responses above are troubling to me.

Uh, am I in a jock locker room?  Ladies, any other perspectives?  If I have an explosive device under the passenger seat of my car and invite you to get in, do I not have a duty to warn you of the consequences?

Mmmm, very seldom am I appalled at the opinions expressed here, but the responses above are troubling to me.

154306[/snapback]

i'm thinking i'm w/ LE here...**which is quite unusual, i might add.**

ct

Uh, am I in a jock locker room?  Ladies, any other perspectives?  If I have an explosive device under the passenger seat of my car and invite you to get in, do I not have a duty to warn you of the consequences?

154306[/snapback]

I am a proponent for taking responsibility for one's actions. This woman had sex with "RON MEXICO," without thinking of the consequences. UNPROTECTED SEX with a complete stranger. That is hardly like a friend offering you a seat in their car. That's more like walking down a dark alley and sitting in some drug dealer's car seat. You HAVE to know something isn't right.

Trust me, I am not exhonnerating Michael Vick if he truly kept that from her, but you tell me, does Michael Vick's status make him different from Joe Sixpack that does the same thing to the trash he picks up on the street?

The courts are not in place to prevent people for making their own bad decisions. I, personally, don't want the courts involved in my bedroom. Did Michael Vick FORCE her to have sex with him, therefore forcing her to have herpes. No. Not from the account I read. So, that means she KNOWINGLY consented to sleeping with him with no protection.

I have to agree with the guys here. If she was stupid enough to sleep with him without protection then there is no way she should win the lawsuit. But the whole " Ron Mexico" alias is a bit lame it sounds like an alias. I might laugh if I met a guy with that name.

154306[/snapback]

That could be the worst analogy I've ever seen. How often do you expect an explosive device to be under the passenger seat of a car? On the other hand, unless you've been living in a cave for, oh, the last 40 years, you ought to know you can catch an STD from having unprotected sex. Especially with celebrity football players, who, just maybe, might have had sex with one, maybe two, maybe nine hundred other women in the recent past.

I feel sorry for the lady if she has herpes, I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but don't paint her as a victim. She doesn't deserve any damages.

Note that the "Ron Mexico" name was only used in connection with his STD testing....so that the results wouldn't be linked to Mike Vick.

She knew who he was and now she wants $$.

I don't think this case has legs.

Note that the "Ron Mexico" name was only used in connection with his STD testing....so that the results wouldn't be linked to Mike Vick.

154324[/snapback]

No matter where the Ron Mexico alias came from it's still funny and lame like I said it sounds like an alias. Hey Wes how have you been?

154324[/snapback]

No matter where the Ron Mexico alias came from it's still funny and lame like I said it sounds like an alias. Hey Wes how have you been?

154328[/snapback]

Oh, I agree: it's funny and lame. It just seemed that some posters were thinking that Mike used the alias on the woman.

Been good. How are you? How's the baby coming along?

Might as well have just gone with Dirk Diggler or something....Ron Mexico.  Ha!  :lol:

154329[/snapback]

Exactly :lol:

I have to agree with the guys here.  If she was stupid enough to sleep with him without protection then there is no way she should win the lawsuit.  But the whole " Ron Mexico" alias is a bit lame it sounds like an alias.  I might laugh if I met a guy with that name.

154317[/snapback]

In her lawsuit, which does not specify monetary damages, Elliott states that she met Vick at a Virginia Beach nightclub in May 2001 and, shortly thereafter, began a close personal relationship with the football star (though the couple did not have sex until late-2002)

So what most of you are telling me is that if you get into a dating relationship with someone, continue it for OVER A YEAR, and decide to take it to another level you would not be shocked or surprised to find out after the fact that you contacted an STD from not using protection. :blink:

And what kind of a responsible adult wants to KNOWINGLY share this kind of thing? :o

154306[/snapback]

Guess I come down somewhere in the middle, but like LegalEagle, feel a little concerned for opinions that seem to imply he has NO responsibility in this case...

Because it was consensual, she bears 50% of the responsibility, so I would have a hard time as a juror awarding her any money. On the other hand, he most certainly had an obligation to inform her of his condition and should have insisted on a condom himself. He also is 50% responsible and he did harm her by his silence. I just don't know how a court could possibly make a reasonable decision regarding liability and appropriate monetary damages. [However, there have been cases where charges of attempted manslaughter/murder have been filed for the knowing transmission of a life-threatening disease like HIV!]

My basic philosophy when it comes to consensual sex is that, being consensual, there is nothing to bother the courts with (barring an impact on a third party, like a conceived child for example). Nevertheless, both parties share equally in the responsibility for their actions and each party has to live with the consequences of his/her actions.

But like most things in life, "consequences" doesn't mean only the results of a court decision, but the day-to-day responsibilities of living with whatever consequences we bring upon ourselves. She has to live with the disease (as he obviously has been doing already because of earlier mistakes on his part). He has to live with the public humiliation and (hopefully, but doubtfully) at least some pangs of conscience over what he did to her.

(Of course, we are assuming he told her nothing and did not use a condom--I suppose it's possible that both parties were fully informed and a condom was used--they aren't 100% safe--but that doesn't seem to be the situation in this case.)

i guess it depends on WHEN Vick discovered he had the STD. if he knowingly had sex w/her and knew he had it, then I could see something against him....if he didn't....well....she's out for money. sux for both of 'em. :(

Can someone explain to me why everyone is actually buying this?

C'mon now, look at the source here people. Thesmokinggun.com??? It's a tabloid internet website.

If anyone can find this story on ANY legit news site, I'll buy it. But come on people, realize that this is not for real.

Because it was consensual, she bears 50% of the responsibility, so I would have a hard time as a juror awarding her any money.  On the other hand, he most certainly had an obligation to inform her of his condition and should have insisted on a condom himself.  He also is 50% responsible and he did harm her by his silence.  I just don't know how a court could possibly make a reasonable decision regarding liability and appropriate monetary damages.  [However, there have been cases where charges of attempted manslaughter/murder have been filed for the knowing transmission of a life-threatening disease like HIV!]

My basic philosophy when it comes to consensual sex is that, being consensual, there is nothing to bother the courts with (barring an impact on a third party, like a conceived child for example).  Nevertheless, both parties share equally in the responsibility for their actions and each party has to live with the consequences of his/her actions. 

But like most things in life, "consequences" doesn't mean only the results of a court decision, but the day-to-day responsibilities of living with whatever consequences we bring upon ourselves. She has to live with the disease (as he obviously has been doing already because of earlier mistakes on his part).  He has to live with the public humiliation and (hopefully, but doubtfully) at least some pangs of conscience over what he did to her.

(Of course, we are assuming he told her nothing and did not use a condom--I suppose it's possible that both parties were fully informed and a condom was used--they aren't 100% safe--but that doesn't seem to be the situation in this case.)

154337[/snapback]

Exactly... Vick should have told her of his condition, however, every choice has its consequences, and people know that a risk of being sexually active is getting an STD, because you don't know where the person you're with has been before. I agree that both are 50% at fault and I don't think anything should be awarded.

Can someone explain to me why everyone is actually buying this?

C'mon now, look at the source here people. Thesmokinggun.com??? It's a tabloid internet website.

If anyone can find this story on ANY legit news site, I'll buy it. But come on people, realize that this is not for real.

154357[/snapback]

Just because it came from thesmokinggun.com doesn't automatically mean it's bogus. They just report the crap earlier than most. They release tons of crap that ends up being true. I know for a fact they've reported on a couple of American Idol people with sleezy histories...all true.

Speculation for now I guess...but you can't say it's false just because of this particular source.

Ron Mexico? hmmm maybe I need an alias to pick up the ladies. How about Tom Germany, that should get the ladies flocking to me, ja? Still if this is true, then this lady, who is a health care worker, should have known what could happen when having unprotected sex. I find the story sad and a little bit humorous, Ron Mexico :roflol: .

Archived