2019 Spring Practice Begins

Metalsinger418

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Joey & Bo were the 2 most impressive QBs after day 1 practice. They were more accurate than Willis and Cord day 1. I hope that Gus will not get hung up on Willis and will let the best QB rise to the top. I somehow think that Dilly will closely monitor the competition and will let Gus know who he thinks should be the best QB of the bunch. jmho folks!  This Corgi can do drills like the players do!

Where did this information come from? 

If I had to bet $10 on the two that looked the best, it would have been Nix and Gatewood.

And I think if it's anywhere near a close race at decision time, Nix will get the nod because Gus won't risk losing him to transfer.

Fair or not, Gatewood has a tougher road to becoming the starter than Nix.

That is, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Took it down. Did not realize I could not post this. My bad.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

36 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

If I had to bet $10 on the two that looked the best, it would have been Nix and Gatewood.

And I think if it's anywhere near a close race at decision time, Nix will get the nod because Gus won't risk losing him to transfer.

Fair or not, Gatewood has a tougher road to becoming the starter than Nix.

That is, in my opinion.

I really think Gatewood will get the nod unless he implodes. I think Gus wants to give Bo a year to learn the offense and play as a redshirt freshman. I doubt he will transfer if Gatewood wins the nod. It looks like Joey has gotten better with his passing of which was an issue last spring ball. Joey is an intriguing QB. He dwarfs all of the other QBs.  He looks taller than 6-5 and has a tall lean body. Maybe I am a bit biased, but I think Joey at the present may be the best QB on the roster.  We need 2 equally good QBs in case one goes down. I think we might have this at the present time. jmho for what it is worth or not worth!

20 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I don’t know what happened. Lol I just haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere. I was actually curious where you got it.  

A Gatewood inverted option PA with Whitlow running the wheel and Schwartz running the post has to be extremely tantalizing to Gus.

I'm really hoping Joey shows him the most in the deep game, because that's going to be the first thing Gus wants to see out the passing game after last season. I don't know the extents of Bo's arm strength, but based on his size I assume it'd be slightly limited. Malik has a cannon but I don't know if he has any accuracy in that regard (or any regard really) 

10 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Well now I am super curious of what you said!

14 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t know what happened. Lol I just haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere. I was actually curious where you got it.  

it was from 247/auburn. After you enquired about it, I went back and realized that this was VIP information and did not want to get into any trouble with those guys!  Do you have a VIP membership with them?

On 3/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, Auburn Kev said:

Color me skeptical. 

Just my opinion for what it is worth or not worth....I think the only way for Gus to truly  have an explosive offense on the same scale as what we saw in the bowl game against Purdue, the hurry up no huddle is the only way Gus offense will work for us to get similar totals like we did in the bowl game. jmho for what it is or is not worth!

21 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Just my opinion for what it is worth or not worth....I think the only way for Gus to truly  have an explosive offense on the same scale as what we saw in the bowl game against Purdue, the hurry up no huddle is the only way Gus offense will work for us to get similar totals like we did in the bowl game. jmho for what it is or is not worth!

You're not wrong.   if you slow his offense down its just not effective.  if he substitutes every other play  its not effective.  His offense needs to keep a defense unable to make adjustments inorder to be successful.   

34 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

it was from 247/auburn. After you enquired about it, I went back and realized that this was VIP information and did not want to get into any trouble with those guys!  Do you have a VIP membership with them?

No. I waste enough time here for free. I can’t pay to waste more. 

6 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Then he'll have to figure out how to let his receivers run all the routes and stop pigeon holing.

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Then he'll have to figure out how to let his receivers run all the routes and stop pigeon holing.

I was about to say...the game has changed. Times have changed. Rules have changed. It is time for this coach to get dynamic. Not only have coaches game planned for this, but standards have been implemented to almost stalemate this option. Not saying it can't work, but there will have to be more concepts to progress the offense. It is pointless to go hurry up and run the same dive play every time. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I was about to say...the game has changed. Times have changed. Rules have changed. It is time for this coach to get dynamic. Not only have coaches game planned for this, but standards have been implemented to almost stalemate this option. Not saying it can't work, but there will have to be more concepts to progress the offense. It is pointless to go hurry up and run the same dive play every time. 

The play of the o-line will dictate the success of how well the HUNH works in 2019. If the O-line is getting significant push against defensive lines, those dive plays that go nowhere could, and I say could in all honesty, could yield 4-7 yards per play. If the o-line cannot get significant push, it doesn't matter how fast or slow we play. Gus is going to have to win a lot of games in 2019 for him to come back in 2020.  I think he knows this, and will do whatever is necessary to make his offense click and be successful.

We will either be talking about how Gus got his mojo back this time next year as we are preparing for 2020. Otherwise, we will be talking about our new coaching staff (Mike Norvell, Matt Campbell, Bill Clark, and maybe Neal Brown) and how they are going to implement their attack for their first season on the plains. We will see the best that Gus has to offer for 2019. Whether or not it will be enough for him to return in 2020, only the Good Lord knows!

JD focusing on teammates and team this spring

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports.com

AUBURN | There are a number of reasons Javaris Davis remained in school for his senior season but the most important one wasn’t about himself or his future as a football player.

It was about his teammates and Auburn.

“My goal is to make everybody around me better in every way possible and do whatever I’ve got to do help my team win every game,” Davis said.

That team-first mentality was on display the first day of spring practice Monday. Davis was wearing an orange non-contact jersey, and it wasn’t because of an injury.

“They want me to be more of a coach out there and help the young guys,” Davis explained. “They already know what I can do. I’m still working on myself, my craft, but our main focus this spring is to get more depth in the backend so I’m trying to help the younger guys get more comfortable so they can help us in the season.”

Davis has done plenty in his career at Auburn totaling 107 tackles and six interceptions in 36 games including 24 starts. But he has been slowed by a string of minor injuries missing four games over the past two seasons including one last year when he finished with 41 tackles, eight pass breakups and two interceptions.

Good numbers, but not good enough for Davis.

“I wouldn’t say it was bad but I feel like it wasn’t my best,” he said. “It’s just because a lot of stuff happened, a lot of ups and downs. I feel like that’s why I came back, to prove to everybody that I am a good corner. I feel like I am one of the best players in the country but I have to prove it and I’m going to prove it. I had a couple of injuries and missed games so I really didn’t want to just leave on that note.”

Davis has played both nickel and cornerback during his career, but is working mainly at corner along with junior Noah Igbinoghene so far this spring. Christian Tutt is working at nickel, and that could be how they line up in the secondary this fall along with seniors Daniel Thomas and Jeremiah Dinson at safety.

Davis singled out Tutt and fellow sophomore Roger McCreary as two underclassmen stepping up this spring.

“I came back for a reason and a lot of others came back for the same reason I did, and I feel like we have the talent to accomplish anything,” Davis said. “It’s always good to have experience in the backend and we have that. And I feel like when you have a good DB group, usually the defense will be good.”

7 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

That's great but I'm already dreading all the "now THIS is what a good teammate looks like" BS. 

I forget, what was JD's draft projection? 

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I forget, what was JD's draft projection?

First rounder.  That's why he's such a good teammate and Auburn man.:P

On 3/19/2019 at 6:36 PM, alexava said:

Corgi competition in Wales!

Archived