Men vs. Virginia - game thread

WarTiger

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Any player with discipline. One of the first things you're taught is don't foul a jump shooter.  Nobody jumps to block a 3. If you want to contest you stick close and get a hand in their face. Put your hands up to change projection, you play under control. 

Yes sir, I know the fundamentals of playing D bro and I agree with you. I was trying to defend why he might've done that in the heat of the moment there. It looked like he realized he was too late to the shooter and tried to move his body to avoid contact but the foul was called. By the book it was a foul but sometimes the officials should swallow the whistle and let the guys play. Hell they forgot where they put them for most of the first half anyway.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, cole256 said:

How many 3 pointers do you see get blocked? You get your hand in their face, jumping does nothing. 

This....little wave of hand in front of face to disrupt concentration......even this has a high fail rate......jumping is begging for foul call.

Even though not a true fan of your team I feel terrible for you.  This is a game that was stolen from you.  I am hoping after Monday nights game this will start becoming a distant memory. Once again terrible what happened and the hard part to move beyond this.   I wish I had the answer except football is right around the corner.

3 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Yes sir, I know the fundamentals of playing D bro and I agree with you. I was trying to defend why he might've done that in the heat of the moment there. It looked like he realized he was too late to the shooter and tried to move his body to avoid contact but the foul was called. By the book it was a foul but sometimes the officials should swallow the whistle and let the guys play. Hell they forgot where they put them for most of the first half anyway.

Yes, I agree but this is right after a time out. And literally the only thing they are looking at in this situation is if the shooter was able to jump and shoot his shot and come down. You actually can hit somebody hand a little before you can bump their legs in the air. 

But I'm just not going to watch the play anymore, the more you watch it the more you are thinking Wtf were you thinking

4 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Agree...so there were only three real fouls committed in 18 minutes of the second half ?...up until the deliberate fouls.   It was a rough game...would just like some consistency ...not strict interpretation just during the last minute of a game.

4 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

That’s what I have a problem with. Is it a foul by the book? Yes. But

1.) we’re in the last second of the game and you call a little ticky tack bump AFTER the shot? Just a whimp of a call.

2.) Officials let FAR worse go uncalled most of the game. The inconsistency really ticked me off. Don’t call something just on a technicality, call it because you’ve been consistent with those calls the entire game. 

Should’ve won on the double dribble, and got screwed on a technicality rather than letting the players decide the game. The ball had left Guy’s hand and the foul had no bearing on what the players had decided. 

I thought I might feel better this morning.  I don't...this really sucks...gonna take a while to get over last night. War Eagle.

8 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

That’s what I have a problem with. Is it a foul by the book? Yes. But

1.) we’re in the last second of the game and you call a little ticky tack bump AFTER the shot? Just a whimp of a call.

2.) Officials let FAR worse go uncalled most of the game. The inconsistency really ticked me off. Don’t call something just on a technicality, call it because you’ve been consistent with those calls the entire game. 

Should’ve won on the double dribble, and got screwed on a technicality rather than letting the players decide the game. The ball had left Guy’s hand and the foul had no bearing on what the players had decided. 

JMO but someone told that team of officials to "let them play"....which they did for 39 minutes.....let all manner of mugging, pushing off and outright fouls on shooters go uncalled.    The end of the game was not the time to decide …."we will go by the book"...and that NCAA official quoting chapter and verse of the foul decision was insane....like he had not watched any of the rest of the game or something.  I'm usually a defender of the NCAA but that performance and explanation of the foul and the non-call was pathetic and cowardly. 

13 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

I thought I might feel better this morning.  I don't...this really sucks...gonna take a while to get over last night. War Eagle.

Same I’m just as pissed as last night and I also slept like crap. I don’t think I fell asleep until 2am. 

You just have to play smart. Been harping on it from the beginning, wanting us to learn from every situation. I wanted us to pass the hardest tests

Thankfully the sun came up this morning. I'm still heartbroken for myself and for the players and coaches and for the whole Auburn family. The thing that hurts the most is that the our players did EVERYTHING they needed to do to win. UVA did EVERYTHING they needed to do to win IF they get a blown call. When a team beats you, you tip your hat to them and work harder to beat them next time. When the refs incompetence beats you, it is MUCH harder to get over. War Eagle anyway, guys!!!!

if the ********g double dribble is called, if the trash ACC official( thats right) does his job, there is no shot and there would be no foul....james breeding is an ACC contracted official and according to ITAT, one of the others lives in virginia beach......they should have not been on the floor if either of those are true....i looked breeding up, and it is true

8 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if the ********g double dribble is called, if the trash ACC official( thats right) does his job, there is no shot and there would be no foul....james breeding is an ACC contracted official and according to ITAT, one of the others lives in virginia beach......they should have not been on the floor if either of those are true....i looked breeding up, and it is true

Breeding and Stephens are Big East officials, not ACC.  But they do not have a good record but we're chosen as part of the 10 man crew for the final four.  I posted an SI article in another thread about them. 

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Breeding and Stephens are Big East officials, not ACC.  But they do not have a good record but we're chosen as part of the 10 man crew for the final four.  I posted an SI article in another thread about them. 

wrong.....they are contracted ACC officials, too....thats according to kevin scarbinsky

17 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

wrong.....they are contracted ACC officials, too....thats according to kevin scarbinsky

I'm not sure where Scarb got his info.  SI article says Big East.  Surely, the NCAA would not allow ACC officials to do a Final Four game involving an ACC team. 

If Harper made both free throws the defense of the last play is different. The sequence of the last plays still suck, but how different are things if we just make our free throws? 

1 minute ago, wareagle881 said:

If Harper made both free throws the defense of the last play is different. The sequence of the last plays still suck, but how different are things if we just make our free throws? 

Very. Always remember one tag line as a team..never put the game in the official's hands!

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Very. Always remember one tag line as a team..never put the game in the official's hands!

Very true.  But when it does fall into their hands you expect them to make the right call or to be consistent with their calls. 

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

The game wasn’t in the refs hands - they snatched it from us. We did everything right to survive and advance. That’s all that matters. The goal was to win, and our team fought to be in a winning position. Those guys, just like the Saints, had it stolen from them.

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

The game wasn’t in the refs hands - they snatched it from us. We did everything right to survive and advance. That’s all that matters. The goal was to win, and our team fought to be in a winning position. Those guys, just like the Saints, had it stolen from them.

And the refs stole it from us correct? So, yes ultimately it was in the ref's hands to make the right call. But ALAS, after a good night sleep, I am over it. UVA won and I am just ready to see a great game.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

And the refs stole it from us correct? So, yes ultimately it was in the ref's hands to make the right call. But ALAS, after a good night sleep, I am over it. UVA won and I am just ready to see a great game.

Can’t lie man, trying my best to move on, but dang. This one hurts. I think more than anything, I’m just at sick at my stomach for these guys. Just the way they battled all year, they deserved a chance to play for it all.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Can’t lie man, trying my best to move on, but dang. This one hurts. I think more than anything, I’m just at sick at my stomach for these guys. Just the way they battled all year, they deserved a chance to play for it all.

Yep it could’ve easily been us versus Texas tech is the big what if for me. Like this close to a national title appearance. It is really hard to do in college basketball. 

Archived