Men vs. Virginia - game thread

WarTiger

Just now, cole256 said:

We just didn't play smart at the end

It hurts because or best FT shooter missed a shot to where that guy play wouldn’t haven’t meant a loss in regulation 

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We just didn't play smart at the end

Cole I really respect your opinion.  The foul at the end was not smart but what else was dumb? I cant think of anything that really sticks out. 

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It hurts because or best FT shooter missed a shot to where that guy play wouldn’t haven’t meant a loss in regulation 

Both teams missed a lot of golden opportunities tbh. Harper wasn’t feeling well and nerves got the best of him. Still, shouldn’t have fouled after the double dribble. Bruce ate Brown’s lunch after not fouling quick enough against NMST and that probably came back to bite him in the butt.

6 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

Cole I really respect your opinion.  The foul at the end was not smart but what else was dumb? I cant think of anything that really sticks out. 

That's it. That play. That's what I was preaching. One play can win or lose and you need to think it through. That one possession we had where Brown just hit backboard was a very bad possession as well but man

Yes, Samir just needed to jump straight up. Would have been more effective than a quarter jump with his hands down into the shooter. 

17 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I wish he had hit too but a Mac hit both of his and that was a bonus

2 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

Yes, Samir just needed to jump straight up. Would have been more effective than a quarter jump with his hands down into the shooter. 

When I watch it over and offer when you look he didn't even go for the block. He literally jumped for no reason. Watch it

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

When I watch it over and offer when you look he didn't even go for the block. He literally jumped for no reason. Watch it

He jumped to contest if nothing else, he tried to avoid contact before Guy came out of his shot. To me Samir played to his instincts there, he tried to contest a game winning shot. What player wouldn't contest that shot in that situation?

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree completely.  Furthermore, if you look at the play before he's guarding Guy and Samir does not even put his hands up. I'm not dogging Samir, just not great defense in the last 7 seconds. 

42 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

He shot that really really weird. It was like a hitch watching it back. Never seen that before from him. It looked like it slipped.  That guy play would of not happened. We would of won if he made it to go up 3. We would of kept fouling and then they would of had a 1 n 1. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

He shot that really really weird. It was like a hitch watching it back. That guy play would of not happened. We would of won if he made it to go up 3. We would of kept fouling and then they would of had a 1 n 1. 

I did not even think of that. Goodness we were a free throw or missed double dribble away from playing for it all. And I think we would have a very good chance against TT.

2 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

I agree completely.  Furthermore, if you look at the play before he's guarding Guy and Samir does not even put his hands up. I'm not dogging Samir, just not great defense in the last 7 seconds. 

So actually now that I think about it is it a bad coaching because samir mostly played Jerome and they let those guys play. Maybe samir still in that mode? Guarding a play maker alot different than guarding a spot up shooter

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So actually now that I think about it is it a bad coaching because samir mostly played Jerome and they let those guys play. Maybe samir still in that mode? Guarding a play maker alot different than guarding a spot up shooter

Yes, I was surprised when I saw him guarding Guy.

Not allowing myself to “what-if” this game anymore. This team took home two trophies, cut two nets, and announced their arrival into the basketball conversation this season. It hurts because seasons like this won’t be the norm, and I won’t hold every upcoming AU team to this standard, but the mountaintop of college hoops has been sniffed. By Auburn University. Wow. 

I knew the Final 4 was house money so to speak. So for that, I am just happy we made it to the 4. I think I could handle it better if we didn't make that comeback.  We straight up took the game from them only to have it ripped back. Overall I am glad we made the comeback because it reminds me of how special this team was, just more in shock that we can let a 4 point lead disappear with under 10 seconds remaining.  I was thinking Virginia is wasting too much time and the Hoos made it happen anyways. Sigh.  Maybe I will get some sleep. 

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I knew the Final 4 was house money so to speak. So for that, I am just happy we made it to the 4. I think I could handle it better if we didn't make that comeback.  We straight up took the game from them only to have it ripped back. Overall I am glad we made the comeback because it reminds me of how special this team was, just more in shock that we can let a 4 point lead disappear with under 10 seconds remaining.  I was thinking Virginia is wasting too much time and the Hoos made it happen anyways. Sigh.  Maybe I will get some sleep. 

heartbreakers are way worse than getting blown out fam. I do not lose sleep over the 2017 SEC title game. But 2013 bcs natty and this game? .........................

4 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Missing the out in the open double dribble is inexcusable. 

Yep. The refs should have to be held accountable for missing such a call. Hope NCAA makes an official statement regarding this. With less than 10 seconds to go in the game and this decided who goes to play for a National Championship! I would think that cost AU millions. What an idiot! Practice what you preach! Oh we missed it is unacceptable.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

its an attribute to be a smart contester, for a lack of a better word, and I dont think Samir is good at that. Think he's great at defending on the ground. Also think he's VERY liable to dumb plays. Although I dont think that knowledge is new to you, I, or the rest of this board, and it showed up at the worst possible 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I couldnt possibly figure out why Bryce wasn't on Guy. Your best perimeter defender, guard wise, for 2-3 seasons, and you stick this guy that has had one noteworthy game defensively on their best shooter WHO JUST MADE ONE? I dont even remember there being a down pick and switch or anything, they just put Samir on Guy. Bruce got done really badly for 93% of this game, he won the last few minutes of the first half and the last whenever Jerome got the 4th foul until the foul on Jerome

Be there when the guys come back. Support them. They need us.

Support mac. Great seniors. Heck of a year guys. We'll be back.

#final four next year

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

He shot that really really weird. It was like a hitch watching it back. Never seen that before from him. It looked like it slipped.  That guy play would of not happened. We would of won if he made it to go up 3. We would of kept fouling and then they would of had a 1 n 1. 

If u look at his face before the first attempt he was clearly perturbed and thinking about it. If you watch Guy on the last 3 attempts, he just put em up before he got a chance to consider. ofc he drained the third one but the difference is the chance to think.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Apparently BORING wins in college ball. 3 of the 4 boringest teams in America made the final 4 and 2 of them will play for it all Monday Night. There is no justice in sports. SMH........ No one wants to watch that s#$t. First one to 37 wins! HOW EXCITING! I am sure tv execs are through the roof with how this played out........

NCAA has had 2 straight horrendous title games and I guess they wanted a third to cap it off. 

1 hour ago, CAReeves2010 said:

He jumped to contest if nothing else, he tried to avoid contact before Guy came out of his shot. To me Samir played to his instincts there, he tried to contest a game winning shot. What player wouldn't contest that shot in that situation?

Any player with discipline. One of the first things you're taught is don't foul a jump shooter.  Nobody jumps to block a 3. If you want to contest you stick close and get a hand in their face. Put your hands up to change projection, you play under control. 

51 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Any player with discipline. One of the first things you're taught is don't foul a jump shooter.  Nobody jumps to block a 3. If you want to contest you stick close and get a hand in their face. Put your hands up to change projection, you play under control. 

So true. Apparently outside fans are saying The same thing happened to Brown on the last shot of the game and no one paid attention. 

We thought we lost the play before.

Great commentary Cole. It's been a great season. Let's support the guys . We got next year!!!

Archived