MLB thread

GwillMac6

15 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I saw an article that said he was still hitting until he makes a decision on Tommy John surgery. 

I read that it typically takes 11 months from having TJ to being able to hit in a MLB game again.   If he hd surgery this month he would miss 5 months of next year's season.   I suspect if you are trying to rehab for hitting and pitching that could slow things down further.   Not knowing how your body is going to hold up long term....   Its a hard decision.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LPTiger said:

What a day,   Get married, check.  Be the first player in MLB history to hit 30 dingers and steal 60 bases, check.  That team is so good in every facet of the game.

I worry about the bullpen. When they are on, they are great. But to me they just seem a little too inconsistent. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

$700M -- 10 years:  Ohtani to Dodgers

Wow seems so ... inadequate.  And they don't know if he'll ever return to his pitching form, too.  

Love to watch him play but I hate the Dodgers so I hope he fails miserably. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Love to watch him play but I hate the Dodgers so I hope he fails miserably. 

It's a little anti-climatic since the Dodgers were identified as leading for his services since talk of his free agency started.  Have watched him play a lot & was hoping the Mariners would somehow be in the running.  God knows they desperately need some bats in their lineup.  I was thinking around $500M but that was with him hitting and pitching.  $700M is just ... mind-numbing stupid crazy!      

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

It's a little anti-climatic since the Dodgers were identified as leading for his services since talk of his free agency started.  Have watched him play a lot & was hoping the Mariners would somehow be in the running.  God knows they desperately need some bats in their lineup.  I was thinking around $500M but that was with him hitting and pitching.  $700M is just ... mind-numbing stupid crazy!      

I knew he wanted to stay on the west coast and also was thinking around $500 mil. but damn $700 

On 12/9/2023 at 9:29 PM, augolf1716 said:

I knew he wanted to stay on the west coast and also was thinking around $500 mil. but damn $700 

$680M of it is deferred until the end of his contract, he’ll be paid $2m per year.  Reports are that is how he wanted it structured. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

$680M of it is deferred until the end of his contract, he’ll be paid $2m per year.  Reports are that is how he wanted it structured. 

I just saw that.   No way in heyoull do I defer $680MM for 10 years.  You never know what can happen...  Putin takes over the world.  Trump gets elected and democracy ends.   Climate change.  Bankruptcy.  

7 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I just saw that.   No way in heyoull do I defer $680MM for 10 years.  You never know what can happen...  Putin takes over the world.  Trump gets elected and democracy ends.   Climate change.  Bankruptcy.  

I think it makes sense if his goal is to win championships. It lowers his impact to the luxury tax from 70M to 46M. The difference is the ability to add another star player or a couple of good-great players. Maybe he saw what happened to Trout and didn't want to follow that path?

The only thing I thought was odd was that the deferral didn't include interest. Plus he is still in his prime and can make a significant amount through endorsements. Either way though, it's generational wealth

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LPTiger said:

You forgot:   

• Like 1