Top Auburn Quarterbacks

Zeek

Just like my other thread I'll include statistical leaders and then follow it up with my own favorite Auburn quarterbacks that I can recall watching.

***Spoiler alert, we don't have as much historic success at this position when you consider Sean White is 16th in passing yards all time. I'm cheating a little to put Cam and Nick where they belong despite having less time here than many of their counterparts***

1. Cam Newton | 2010 | 2,854 Passing Yards | 185/280 Cmp/Att 66.1% | 10.2 Yards Per Attempt | 30 Passing TDs | 7 INTs | 264 Rushes 1,473 yards 20 TDs

2. Jason Campbell | 2001-04 | 7,299 Passing Yards | 552/854 Completions/Attempts 64.6% | 8.5 Yards Per Attempt | 45 Passing Touchdowns | 24 Interceptions | 249 Rushing Attempts for 307 yards and 9 touchdowns

3. Nick Marshall | 2013-14 | 320/532 Cmp/Att 60.2% | 4,508 Passing Yards | 8.5 Yards Per Attempt | 34 Passing TDs | 13 INTs | 325 Rushes 1,866 yards and 23 TDs

4. Pat Sullivan | 1969-71 | 6,534 Passing Yards | 472/863 Com/Att 54.7% | 7.6 Yards Per Attempt | 54 Passing Touchdowns | 41 Interceptions | 158 Rushes 541 yards and 18 touchdowns

5. Dameyune Craig | 1994-97 | 6,026 Passing Yards | 427/782 Com/Att 54.6% | 7.7 Yards Per Attempt | 39 Passing TDs | 24 INTs | 270 Rushes 429 yards 19 TDs

6. Jarrett Stidham | 2017-18 | 5,952 Passing Yards | 470/739 Com/Att 63.6% | 8.1 Yards Per Attempt | 36 Passing TDs | 11 INTs | 175 rushes 154 yards 7 TDs

7. Brandon Cox | 2004-07 | 6,959 Passing Yards | 550/927 Completions/Attempts 59.3% | 7.5 Yards Per Attempt | 42 Passing Touchdowns | 32 Interceptions | 151 Rushing Attempts -416 yards and 4 touchdowns

8. Stan White | 1990-93 | 8,016 Passing Yards | 659/1231 Completions/Attempts 53.5% | 6.5 Yards Per Attempt | 40 Passing Touchdowns | 52 Interceptions | 250 Rushing Attempts for -96 yards and 11 TDs

9. Patrick Nix | 1992-95 | 4,957 Passing Yards | 386/656 Cmp/Att 58.8% | 7.6 Yards Per Attempt | 31 Passing TDs | 16 INTs | 96 Rushes 124 yards 9 TDs

10. Reggie Slack | 1986-89 | 4,697 Passing Yards | 346/585 Cmp/Att 59.1% | 8.0 Yards Per Attempt | 23 Passing TD | 23 INTs | 107 Rushes -45 yards 5 TDs

Fascinating to me that compared to previous Auburn greats both Cam and Nick have two of the highest completion percentages. Expectations for QB accuracy even with improved defense has skyrocketed over the years.

Also, Nick Marshall is more of a legend than many here will ever realize.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite 10 to watch

1. Cam Newton

Generational talent and a true example of a what a Heisman winner should look like. Not just some guy on a team that was doing well but a true game changer looking like men amongst boys.

2. Nick Marshall

An electric runner, a cannon, a level of SWAG we may never see again at our QB position, and a clutch competitor.

3. Chris Todd

What a fun example of how an offense built around a QBs abilities can do! His evolution was fun to watch and he's an all around good dude. Earlier in his career this man would take so many ugly hits I'd be screaming in the crowd "stay down man there's nothing left to prove!"

4. Jason Campbell

He went through a lot of adversity with constant changes at OC. I would have loved to have seen him in a more spread style attack with the same coordinator throughout his career. Compared to his peers on the above list he did a great job of protecting the ball.

5. Sean White

Hate all you want but the kid was a gritty gamer and as someone here said "he never met a linebacker he didn't like." Truly in the right system without the drinking issues he's probably a dude who could put up thousands of yards in the AAC, MAC, MWC, etc.

6. Brandon Cox

I hated Cox at the time and I've heard many a rumor about him being hungover during games. He was sort of a result of an odd time of Auburn football where we were transitioning into a new era. His numbers are way better than I realized but he always struck me as the Jay Cutler don't give a flip kind of guy.

7. Bo Nix

I didn't want to put a current player but honestly in my lifetime we don't have many memorable quarterbacks. Bo is a gamer and I love seeing when he's "on his game". Barring this last game his decision making has been impressive and I like seeing him take off for critical yards when needed.

8. Kiehl Frazier

I think there's an alternative universe where his OL wasn't terrible and he never got shell-shocked. In that universe we see a truly exciting dual threat kid with more polish than Nick Marshall. Still, in his high school and backup role I was always excited seeing him take some snaps.

9. Jeremy Johnson

See the above. There's a universe where he pans out at Auburn and doesn't become such a headcase.

10. Clint Mosley

I don't know why but this dude was thrilling for me to watch. Every interception he threw was somehow a pick-6 and he'd make the occasional big play. Dude was just slinging it in a time period where I was embracing the chaos of being a sub-par team.

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My favorite 10 to watch

1. Cam Newton

Generational talent and a true example of a what a Heisman winner should look like. Not just some guy on a team that was doing well but a true game changer looking like men amongst boys.

2. Nick Marshall

An electric runner, a cannon, a level of SWAG we may never see again at our QB position, and a clutch competitor.

3. Chris Todd

What a fun example of how an offense built around a QBs abilities can do! His evolution was fun to watch and he's an all around good dude. Earlier in his career this man would take so many ugly hits I'd be screaming in the crowd "stay down man there's nothing left to prove!"

4. Jason Campbell

He went through a lot of adversity with constant changes at OC. I would have loved to have seen him in a more spread style attack with the same coordinator throughout his career. Compared to his peers on the above list he did a great job of protecting the ball.

5. Sean White

Hate all you want but the kid was a gritty gamer and as someone here said "he never met a linebacker he didn't like." Truly in the right system without the drinking issues he's probably a dude who could put up thousands of yards in the AAC, MAC, MWC, etc.

6. Brandon Cox

I hated Cox at the time and I've heard many a rumor about him being hungover during games. He was sort of a result of an odd time of Auburn football where we were transitioning into a new era. His numbers are way better than I realized but he always struck me as the Jay Cutler don't give a flip kind of guy.

7. Bo Nix

I didn't want to put a current player but honestly in my lifetime we don't have many memorable quarterbacks. Bo is a gamer and I love seeing when he's "on his game". Barring this last game his decision making has been impressive and I like seeing him take off for critical yards when needed.

8. Kiehl Frazier

I think there's an alternative universe where his OL wasn't terrible and he never got shell-shocked. In that universe we see a truly exciting dual threat kid with more polish than Nick Marshall. Still, in his high school and backup role I was always excited seeing him take some snaps.

9. Jeremy Johnson

See the above. There's a universe where he pans out at Auburn and doesn't become such a headcase.

10. Clint Mosley

I don't know why but this dude was thrilling for me to watch. Every interception he threw was somehow a pick-6 and he'd make the occasional big play. Dude was just slinging it in a time period where I was embracing the chaos of being a sub-par team.

Wow.   This is some list.   

Like Bo in the RBs subject, Pat Sullivan & Cam Newton are just too easy (plus, I wasn't lucky enough to see Sullivan live).

#1: Nick Marshall - IMO, the coolest QB ever.... unflappable.  Plus, those QB run first offenses are always my favorite.

Besides Nick, here's my faves in order of appearance...

Randy Campbell (first QB that I really remember....won the '82 & '83 IBs), Pat Washington, Jeff Burger (the first real passing QB I saw), Reggie Slack (cool as a cucumber), Stan White, Pat Nix, Dameyune Craig (the most fun to watch, besides Cam), Gabe Gross (overlooked due to the travesty that was the '98 season), Jason Campbell, Brandon Cox...

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Like Bo in the RBs subject, Pat Sullivan & Cam Newton are just too easy (plus, I wasn't lucky enough to see Sullivan live).

#1: Nick Marshall - IMO, the coolest QB ever.... unflappable.  Plus, those QB run first offenses are always my favorite.

Randy Campbell (first QB that I really remember....won the '82 & '83 IBs), Pat Washington, Jeff Burger (the first real passing QB I saw), Reggie Slack (cool as a cucumber), Stan White, Pat Nix, Dameyune Craig (the most fun to watch, besides Cam), Gabe Gross (overlooked due to the travesty that was the '98 season), Jason Campbell, Brandon Cox...

Can add nothing......we are on the same page👍 

@Zeek wow this is the first time I've heard of Cox not caring or being hungover during games. Can you elaborate? From my vantage point, he was a warrior out there taking tons of abuse from defenses and continuing to play through the injuries.

Lol I definitely do remember a clearly drunk Gabe McKinzie and Brad Lester Facebook posts making the rounds back around the 07 or 08 Era the night before an 11AM kick vs Miss State. I also remember Gabe getting obliterated on a high throw by Cox in the game and remember thinking imagine being hungover and taking a hit like that LOL. I think it was the game where BC threw an ugly duck into the ground in the red zone on a 4th down to lose the game. Can't remember for sure or not if Kodi played a bunch at QB in that game or not though but my hazy memory is telling me that BC got pulled but for the final 2 minute drill Tubs put BC back in to get us down the yield, and he did, but the final throw sealed our fate. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll add Jimmy Sidle to that mix and have him very close to the top also. 

Dameyune Craig and Nick Marshall are tied for my number 2 behind the obvious Cam. NM14 was as composed as composed gets. Didn't realize what we had in him until well after his time here. D. Craig is and was one of my all time favorite AU players. I loved watching him. He was a leader on the sidelines. He took that 97 team on his back pretty much and almost won the SEC. Didn't see a stronger arm until NM came into town. 

Ben Leard was so frustrating when he started out... Like sooo bad. But he really turned the corner with time and experience

Edit: not a particular favorite of mine just a random thought lol. He followed my guy Dameyune Craig though which made that first year for Leard seem even worse lol

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

My favorite 10 to watch

10. Clint Mosley

^Favorite post this week!

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

@Zeek wow this is the first time I've heard of Cox not caring or being hungover during games. Can you elaborate? From my vantage point, he was a warrior out there taking tons of abuse from defenses and continuing to play through the injuries.

His family owns a pool company in my area and his cousins would talk about how often he'd be hungover for a game and supposedly drunk for one game as well. I think he was a warrior too but I don't think he had any grand delusions of making it to the pros. I think the 2007 season with three freshmen OL and being benched for Burns at one point probably didn't help. Love the guy.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

His family owns a pool company in my area and his cousins would talk about how often he'd be hungover for a game and supposedly drunk for one game as well. I think he was a warrior too but I don't think he had any grand delusions of making it to the pros. I think the 2007 season with three freshmen OL and being benched for Burns at one point probably didn't help. Love the guy.

Wow. Interesting stuff. Not great. Wonder how he kept it hidden, I feel like you smell alcohol on one's breath or notice a change in demeanor if he was drunk during a game but I'm no expert. 

I wonder if Sean White's issues ever spilled over to game days. 

I know a few d1 players, some of who our Tigers played against, that would smoke weed before games. I saw recently Percy Harvin said he smoked before every single game he played as well. You would never be able to tell o from TV what some of these guys are doing

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I saw recently Percy Harvin said he smoked before every single game he played as well.

This blew my mind. Not that he played high but that he never got popped. Look at how Josh Gordon got caught like 3 seasons in a row.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Stan’s TD-INT ratio surprised me

Yes but remember, as much as we complain about the current state of affairs of AU football, Stan's SO & JR seasons were during two of the darkest years in AU football history 1991 & '92.

The REC finding a weak link to exploit in Eric Ramsey, causing the NCAA investigation (yes, even worse than the Cam fiasco), Dye's failing health, lack of full-time concentration, sub-par recruiting, etc.  All led to 5-6 followed by 5-5-1 seasons. 

1993 was truly a football miracle!

53 minutes ago, Zeek said:
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Never heard any of that but it's not surprising.  Granted it was only in HS but I played a game or three in my time after downing some MD2020 or fermented potatoes. 😎

Wonder if his disease had anything to do with it? 

Bottom line, he was 3-0 as a starter against bammer and his SO & JR seasons the Tigers were 9-3 & 11-2 respectively.

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Never heard any of that but it's not surprising.  Granted it was only in HS but I played a game or three in my time after downing some MD2020 or fermented potatoes. 😎

Wonder if his disease had anything to do with it? 

Bottom line, he was 3-0 as a starter against bammer and his SO & JR seasons the Tigers were 9-3 & 11-2 respectively.

LOL NOT THE MD2020!!! 

Saying this as someone who has more experience with the 2020s than I'd like to admit 

50 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This blew my mind. Not that he played high but that he never got popped. Look at how Josh Gordon got caught like 3 seasons in a row.

Yeah man Gordon seemed sloppy with his habit

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LOL NOT THE MD2020!!! 

Saying this as someone who has more experience with the 2020s than I'd like to admit 

LOL yes!

We'd have 1 hour between final bell and having to report to the Fieldhouse to begin prepping for the game.  Me & my buddy, Tony, would go to Wendy's, get a couple of those Big Gulp cups they had in the 80's, pour the drink out (saving the ice) and giddily refill the cup with that swamp juice or we'd mix vodka into the Mtn Dew.

It was fun until halftime when we'd then down the Goodies Headache Powder with a ton of Gatorade. LOL!

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

LOL yes!

We'd have 1 hour between final bell and having to report to the Fieldhouse to begin prepping for the game.  Me & my buddy, Tony, would go to Wendy's, get a couple of those Big Gulp cups they had in the 80's, pour the drink out (saving the ice) and giddily refill the cup with that swamp juice or we'd mix vodka into the Mtn Dew.

It was fun until halftime when we'd then down the Goodies Headache Powder with a ton of Gatorade. LOL!

I grew up in the wrong era lmao

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I like your list and I would just add Phil Gargis to it. If he and Burger ever fought each other it would be to the death. Two of the toughest meanest QBs I've ever seen. 

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I grew up in the wrong era lmao

Yeah, this was before the conditioning aspect was so forefront.  We barely worked out (especially in the off-season), we didn't have to show up Sat a.m. post game (like most probably do now), we didn't have camps, etc.... and we were in the highest classification in GA.  It just was more fun and less "work" back then. Frankly, I'm surprised my school had anybody go to a major college but former Auburn DC Ted Roof graduated from my HS roughly 10 years before me, as well as Jeremiah McClary (both played at Ga. Tech).

Archived