More freedom-hating Republicans

Members say church ousts Kerry supporters

By Andre A. Rodriguez

STAFF WRITER

published: May 7, 2005 6:00 am

WAYNESVILLE — Nine members of a local church had their membership revoked and 40 others left in protest after tension over political views recently came to a head, church members say.

About 20 members of the 400-member East Waynesville Baptist Church voted the nine members out at a recent deacon meeting, which turned into an impromptu business meeting, according to congregants.

Chan Chandler, pastor of East Waynesville Baptist, had been exhorting his congregation since October to support his political views or leave, said Selma Morris, a 30-year member of the church.

“He preached a sermon on abortion and homosexuality, then said if anyone there was planning on voting for John Kerry, they should leave,” she said. “That’s the first time I’ve ever heard something like that. Ministers are supposed to bring people in.”

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1/50506036/1001

Seems this is an issue of one particular church, and not so much by Republicans.

Exactly which freedoms are being 'hated' by the Right? Seems this is an issue of one particular church, and not the entire 'Right' .

158905[/snapback]

What did I say?

Exactly which freedoms are being 'hated' by the Right? Seems this is an issue of one particular church, and not the entire 'Right' .

158905[/snapback]

What did I say?

158906[/snapback]

How about giving us the REST of the story?

So they belong to a silly church,big deal.

158905[/snapback]

What did I say?

158906[/snapback]

How about giving us the REST of the story?

158907[/snapback]

Which is?

Ok, you're right. They're freedom hating religious Republicans. Happy?

:rolleyes:

158909[/snapback]

Well, I wouldn't say I'm happy that they're freedom hating, but at least you're recognizing some unpleasant facts about this particular group of folks. ;)

158909[/snapback]

Well, I wouldn't say I'm happy that they're freedom hating, but at least you're recognizing some unpleasant facts about this particular group of folks. ;)

158910[/snapback]

They're so inconsequential to my life, what they do to each other is really not an issue for me.

But then Tex wants to portray them as if they are the majority and speak for most all Republicans, religious Republicans, and conservatives. Was that not the intent of the post? If I am wrong, I apologize.

They're so inconsequential to my life, what they do to each other is really not an issue for me.

158911[/snapback]

Funny, that's what I said about gays who wanted to get married. What was all the fuss, again?

158911[/snapback]

Funny, that's what I said about gays who wanted to get married. What was all the fuss, again?

158918[/snapback]

Way to try to hijack the thread, pig. :rolleyes:

I really hate separation of church and state. It's such a silly, antiquated notion anyway.

But then Tex wants to portray them as if they are the majority and speak for most all Republicans, religious Republicans, and conservatives.  Was that not the intent of the post?  If I am wrong, I apologize.

158916[/snapback]

What did I say that portrayed this one church as speaking for all Republicans?

Apology accepted.

I really hate separation of church and state. It's such a silly, antiquated notion anyway.

158954[/snapback]

WTH was that about?

I have an idea. Let's just go ahead and surrender the Country to Mexico and the libs. After a few weeks, the Country would be in ashes and we could start over!

I have an idea. Let's just go ahead and surrender the Country to Mexico and the libs. After a few weeks, the Country would be in ashes and we could start over!

158976[/snapback]

You trying to beat out AU 85 for total randomness?

Guest Tigrinum Major

I heard about this on Fox this weekend. The pastor was one hundred percent wrong to do what he did by expelling these people from church. He should have concentrated more on showing them the errors of their ways. Unfortunately, he just made a grevious mistake and will never be taken seriously again if his church members have half brains.

Well, lets see...we ALL know this is an isolated incident. If you want to paint ALL religous republicans with such a broad stroke...Im sure I can do the same for democrats.

I am OFFENDED that you would suggest that these people represent republicans...or even Baptists for that matter. But you know what...this is par for the course. This is exactly why people think Baptists are overbearing crazies. Because you take one story and try to corner everyone into the same ideal.

Here's my idea for a great news story: "11 Billion Baptist churches DONT strongarm their members into political affiliations...while 21 of them do" I've been going to Baptist churches all my life, NEVER have I heard them suggest political standing.

What you DONT mention...is that this COULDNT be a common practice, because the churches would lose their tax exempt status for promoting political candidates. And it has been DOCUMENTED that the ACLU has planted people in churches and TOLD on them for doing things they deemed in violation of said status. So they find one isolated incidient and its "freedom hating republicans again"...

Thats fine...ill start 10,000 threads over here in regards to the churches in ALABAMA that dont do that. I guess your ONE thread would get lost in the mix.

Well, lets see...we ALL know this is an isolated incident. If you want to paint ALL religous republicans with such a broad stroke...Im sure I can do the same for democrats.

I am OFFENDED that you would suggest that these people represent republicans...or even Baptists for that matter. But you know what...this is par for the course. This is exactly why people think Baptists are overbearing crazies. Because you take one story and try to corner everyone into the same ideal.

Here's my idea for a great news story: "11 Billion Baptist churches DONT strongarm their members into political affiliations...while 21 of them do" I've been going to Baptist churches all my life, NEVER have I heard them suggest political standing.

What you DONT mention...is that this COULDNT be a common practice, because the churches would lose their tax exempt status for promoting political candidates. And it has been DOCUMENTED that the ACLU has planted people in churches and TOLD on them for doing things they deemed in violation of said status. So they find one isolated incidient and its "freedom hating republicans again"...

Thats fine...ill start 10,000 threads over here in regards to the churches in ALABAMA that dont do that. I guess your ONE thread would get lost in the mix.

159007[/snapback]

Actually, BG, incidents like this one are becoming less and less isolated. Remember during the election, the cardinal we Catholics now call pope told priests that Kerry wasn't allowed to receive communion because of his political views. Senate Majority leader Bill Frist recently broadcast himself into churches on "Judgement Sunday," in an effort to stir up support for the "nuclear option." What this church did seems to me to be the next logical step in the intermingling of church and state that those in the religious right appear to support so zealously.

This is exactly why people think Baptists are overbearing crazies.

Remember, you're the one who said it.

And it has been DOCUMENTED that the ACLU has planted people in churches and TOLD on them for doing things they deemed in violation of said status.

Link, please. But, if this is true, you said it in the finest bammer fashion. In your opinion, the sin isn't that the church did something illegal, but, that someone exposed it!!!

159007[/snapback]

Actually, BG, incidents like this one are becoming less and less isolated. Remember during the election, the cardinal we Catholics now call pope told priests that Kerry wasn't allowed to receive communion because of his political views. Senate Majority leader Bill Frist recently broadcast himself into churches on "Judgement Sunday," in an effort to stir up support for the "nuclear option." What this church did seems to me to be the next logical step in the intermingling of church and state that those in the religious right appear to support so zealously.

This is exactly why people think Baptists are overbearing crazies.

Remember, you're the one who said it.

And it has been DOCUMENTED that the ACLU has planted people in churches and TOLD on them for doing things they deemed in violation of said status.

Link, please. But, if this is true, you said it in the finest bammer fashion. In your opinion, the sin isn't that the church did something illegal, but, that someone exposed it!!!

159024[/snapback]

Hey Al, is it only wrong if people on the right do it (and a very small minority, I might add)? You know as well as anyone that the dems have used black and liberal churches for years. Where was your outrage and concern then?

As far as the New Pope and John Kerry, I am not Catholic, so I will not comment. But I will ask you, do you disagree with your Pope?

Hey Al, is it only wrong if people on the right do it (and a very small minority, I might add)? You know as well as anyone that the dems have used black and liberal churches for years. Where was your outrage and concern then?

Black churches were primarily used to promote civil rights issues which pertained directly to the black churchgoers. If the pastor told any blacks that if they wanted to remain under Jim Crow laws they could leave, I guess I would've had a problem with that.

But I will ask you, do you disagree with your Pope?

About Kerry's communion? Yes, I disagree with that.

Actually, Al...the stories I read about the ACLU sitting in on churches were not what you think. The few churches,(by few I mean 3 out of the hundreds they sat in on) were preaching AGAINST homosexuality (in the bible) and some against abortion. And they argued that by preaching against homosexuality, you are in effect promoting the candidate that is anti homosexuality.

I didnt bring that argument up to dig at the ACLU. I brought it up to illustrate the fact that...if it were as common as you want us to believe...MANY MANY MANY of these churches would no longer have tax exempt status. (because the ACLU watchdogs would have been able to come up with many more instances...and churches would be shutting down left and right) And since that ISNT the case, it cant be as widely held as you indicate.

Talk about missing the point. Are you just looking for something to dig at me about? Come on man! It's just monday :P:D

I never said these instances were "widely held." In fact, I said they were less isolated than you think.

And since that (churches shutting down) ISNT the case, it cant be as widely held as you indicate.

Maybe it just means there aren't ACLU "spies" in all of the churches as you claim.

Black churches were primarily used to promote civil rights issues which pertained directly to the black churchgoers. If the pastor told any blacks that if they wanted to remain under Jim Crow laws they could leave, I guess I would've had a problem with that.

159026[/snapback]

Good deflection Al. Sure they were primarily used for and the focal point in the Civil Rights movement, but since they have primarily been used to "get out the vote for Democrats", have they not?

But I will ask you, do you disagree with your Pope?

About Kerry's communion? Yes, I disagree with that.

159026[/snapback]

Wasn't he (Ratzinger -sp-) at that time Pope Paul's, right hand man, specifically in matters of Church Doctrine? Would it not be correct for the Catholic Church to point out to it's members (in this case Kerry) where they are wrong? Personally I see a huge difference with what the Catholic Church said and did to Kerry and what this preacher did in North Carolina.

159007[/snapback]

OFFENDED? Grow up and get over it. Many of the posts here are of relatively rare incidents from which the poster makes broad sweeping conclusions that don't offend you. In fact, you do it yourself. My editorial comments were limited to the title: More freedom hating Republicans. Nothing wrong with that title. If you voted Dem, they booted you. Therefore, they didn't respect your freedom to vote your conscience, which means they aren't even "good" Baptists. The implication went no further.

Archived