A-day Game Cancelled

toddc

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/2020-Auburn-A-Day-spring-football-game-canceled-due-to-coronavirus-threat-145127951/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200317_142613_AuburnTigers&utm_content=Link
Auburn A-Day spring football game canceled

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 76 minutes ago 

Share10 Comments

The SEC will not return to competition until at least the fall after formally canceling all remaining sports for the academic year.

The conference is following the lead of other major conferences, which had already canceled the remaining competition events for spring sports as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads across the country. The SEC will also not allow its football programs to conduct its annual spring football games, formally ending the last hope for Auburn to welcome fans at its annual A-Day game this spring. Auburn's A-Day game was originally scheduled for April 11 inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

All pro days yet to occur in the SEC have also been canceled. The earliest the SEC will allow SEC programs to return for spring football practices and meetings is April 16, though that appears to be in danger of the Center for Disease Control has requested Americans to not gather in groups of 50 or more. Auburn University has ordered employees to remain home.

“This is a difficult day for all of us, and I am especially disappointed for our student-athletes,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement.“The health and well-being of our entire conference community is an ongoing priority for the SEC as we continue to monitor developments and information about the COVID-19 virus.”

Other athletics activities, including team and individual practices, meetings and other organized gatherings, whether required or voluntary, remain suspended through at least April 15.

Auburn's A-Day game was also set to host a celebration for the 2010 BCS national championship team. The Tigers were set to begin a year-long celebration of the football team on the 1-year anniversary of going undefeated and winning the national title. Members of the team, including coaches, were scheduled to be in attendance at the A-Day game and participate in an event at Toomer's Corner. Those plans have since been canceled, though Auburn has yet to release details and whether the event will be rescheduled.

SEC member institutions will continue to provide their student-athletes with care and support to meet needs in areas including academics, medical care, mental health and wellness, nutrition and housing as needed.

The CDC has confirmed 4,226 coronavirus cases and 75 deaths in the United States of America as of Tuesday morning. A total of 167,515 people have been confirmed infected across the world, including 6,606 deaths. The global tallies jumped by 13,903 cases and 862 deaths in the last 24 hours, according to a World Health Organization report released Tuesday at 9 a.m. CT.

Well, now that classes have been cancelled for a month i'd think practice's & A-Day games would be cancelled as well.  

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Well, now that classes have been cancelled for a month i'd think practice's & A-Day games would be cancelled as well.  

I feel 100% confident in saying everything will probably shutdown except grocery stores and church for 3-4 weeks atleast

39 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

I feel 100% confident in saying everything will probably shutdown except grocery stores and church for 3-4 weeks atleast

And maybe the movie theater....

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

And maybe the movie theater....

china is rumored to reopen some of their movie theatres soon so I could see theatres not shutting down, but concerts, sporting events etc will most likely go on hold for a month or two atleast

1 hour ago, KnightTiger said:

Even at my church in Athens Alabama we’re talking about live streaming worship service with me(soundboard), pastor and worship leader the only ones at the physical location. We’re already elbow bumping instead of hand shaking.

Auburn postpones spring practices as coronavirus spreads

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 20 minutes ago 

Share0 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn's spring football practices have been postponed.

The news comes on the heels of Auburn canceling sporting events until at least April 10 as the novel coronavirus continues to spread across the country. Auburn has not yet decided on a start date for spring practices. The program has also not announced whether its annual A-Day scrimmage on April 11 will remain on schedule and open to the public. Practices were scheduled to begin March 16.

"The program will continue to assess the situation moving forward," Auburn shared in a news release Thursday evening.

All football-related activities have also been postponed, which includes strength-and-conditioning workouts on campus.

Auburn athletics has canceled all games, matches and contests until at least April 10.

“The well-being of our student-athletes, staff, fans and the Auburn community will always be our highest priority,” Auburn athletics director Allen Greene said in a statement. “Given the global gravity of COVID-19, we appreciate the complexities of these difficult decisions. Our hearts go out to our student-athletes and coaches who have worked tirelessly to represent Auburn with class and excellence in their quest for championships. We thank the Auburn family for their understanding and patience as we navigate this unprecedented and fluid situation.”

Auburn typically scrimmaged twice before A-Day and utilized the first day inside the stadium for situational work (red zone, third downs, etc.) Auburn coach Gus Malzahn initially decided in January on a later start date for spring drills because of the recruiting calendar.

"Last year, we learned a lesson," Malzahn said at the time. "I mean, it seemed like every weekend during the spring, it was official visits. And so I just want to make sure our staff's done a very good job recruiting this year, so we're going to give them extended time off and come back refreshed here are the end of next week and be ready to go."

Auburn was previously scheduled to practice every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday for the first three weeks of drills.

The NCAA canceled national tournaments and championship events for 14 sports, including men's and women's basketball, earlier Thursday. All basketball tournaments scheduled to be played Thursday were also canceled. The Big East Tournament ended at halftime of a contest between St. John's and Creiton

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-postpones-spring-football-practices-as-coronavirus-spreads-144969116/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200312_194356_AuburnTigers&utm_content=Link

7 hours ago, keesler said:

Our son is home with us until April 10...not that I mind.  Prayers for us all as we adapt to this new challenge, which includes the reaction to it--no judgment at all--it's as diverse as we all are.  At our school, I sent an Ipad home with one of my learners last night.  His mom is over tech in our system and she needed to use it to determine filters et al...just in case.  People seem to have mobilized very quickly where we live...but I was really surprised to get the Auburn Family update today letting us know about Spring Break quadrupling...Our own Spring Break is next week, and our daughter's school system, the last week of March.  Everything I've seen to date seems really smart...

AU will be having remote instruction (i.e. online classes) starting March 16 to April 10, possibly longer.  It’s not that classes have been canceled, but in-person classes have been, at least to April 10, in case anyone is confused. 

2 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

What a joke. Pointless hysteria FTW

I understand frustration people have at everything being cancelled. but  its just to make sure this thing doesn't spread any further lots of people are sick some just have the flu some have the CV others like me just have allergies I have no problem waiting 3-4 weeks on everything to try to make sure no one else has this thing 

Problem is, it’s more contagious than the flu. It’s going to spread regardless. Shutting things down for a month is only going to delay the spread and space it out over the next few months. I doubt this will actually do that much good. There’s evidence that the virus can stay in your system for something like 30+ days even after you’ve recovered. Then again, the symptoms are so mild for most people, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of folks get it, get better, and don’t even realize they had it since it’s being built up like “Captain Trips.” Then you have smokers and older folks who will legit have problems and complications with it. It stinks all around but IMO, it may be best to just have it run through the populace quickly so everyone gets over it. I’d be more worried about it lingering and having flare ups throughout the year, since right now there’s no hard evidence to suggest that the heat will help like it does with the flu, though that is the hope.

Isolation now and precaution now will determine how large the outbreak will be. Typically flu season dies down during warmer months and its hopeful this will too. I'm afraid next season will be dicey as well but pray we are better prepared. I applaud the sports industry for taking thos seriously. It's not a joke. It's not overblown and it poses risks. Precaution is warranted

7 hours ago, lca408 said:

Problem is, it’s more contagious than the flu. It’s going to spread regardless. Shutting things down for a month is only going to delay the spread and space it out over the next few months. I doubt this will actually do that much good. There’s evidence that the virus can stay in your system for something like 30+ days even after you’ve recovered. Then again, the symptoms are so mild for most people, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of folks get it, get better, and don’t even realize they had it since it’s being built up like “Captain Trips.” Then you have smokers and older folks who will legit have problems and complications with it. It stinks all around but IMO, it may be best to just have it run through the populace quickly so everyone gets over it. I’d be more worried about it lingering and having flare ups throughout the year, since right now there’s no hard evidence to suggest that the heat will help like it does with the flu, though that is the hope.

Agree - I'd rather get a single swoop of the crap and get it over with.  But I'd totally understand the medical facilities wanting this thing to space out over a few months rather than hit them all at once.  Local hospitals are prepping as much as possible right now and we only have 1 confirmed case in the State as of today, word is that he's quarantined at home and under his doctor's care.

11 hours ago, lca408 said:

Problem is, it’s more contagious than the flu. It’s going to spread regardless. Shutting things down for a month is only going to delay the spread and space it out over the next few months. I doubt this will actually do that much good. There’s evidence that the virus can stay in your system for something like 30+ days even after you’ve recovered. Then again, the symptoms are so mild for most people, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of folks get it, get better, and don’t even realize they had it since it’s being built up like “Captain Trips.” Then you have smokers and older folks who will legit have problems and complications with it. It stinks all around but IMO, it may be best to just have it run through the populace quickly so everyone gets over it.  

until it mutates to start killing young people also.  it has already mutated once .   Young healthy folks surviving but surviving is not the end. 

". Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu."

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797?fbclid=IwAR0EzqzVhR3yUoSGZYWovrkNWSNbah9PdIgTjPox5upRxVwUzeXeatXlx24

Keep in mind...

Some of the greediest people on Earth....the sports industry....are cancelling games, tournaments, heck, maybe even seasons.  They are about to lose millions & millions & millions (maybe billions) of dollars by making these decisions.  

Think about how many times in history that these people have ever made decisions TO LOSE MONEY???  I'm sorry but these multimillionaires & billionaires know something that perhaps we regular folks don't.

Take it seriously or not....your choice obviously, but w/ an abundance of chemo & radiation in my recent history (plus living in a state who's sole income is based on national & international tourism & an entire elderly population who crams our space to the gills this time of year) and having two 11 year old germ factories, We HAVE to take it seriously....

I'm not typically an alarmist but becoming a hermit right now is very important to my health.

To each their own but just thought I'd share a view from one who is taking this very seriously.

Stay safe, War Eagle and God bless!!

The SEC has extended the ban on spring practice and games until April 15th.  I have a feeling that this will be a year without spring practice or A-Day.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/03/sec-extends-ban-on-games-spring-football-practice-into-april.html

20 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

The SEC has extended the ban on spring practice and games until April 15th.  I have a feeling that this will be a year without spring practice or A-Day.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/03/sec-extends-ban-on-games-spring-football-practice-into-april.html

The plus is obvious, health and safety of everyone is paramount.

The down side is...does this mean it could be game 6 or 7 before Gus knows what the offensive identity of the team is? :dunno:

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I imagine there will be a prolonged practice this summer. Next season will be interesting. Will it happen? At least by then we will have more information about the threat posed. 

10 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

LSU is holding spring practice regardless

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

but w/ an abundance of chemo & radiation in my recent history (plus living in a state who's sole income is based on national & international tourism & an entire elderly population who crams our space to the gills this time of year) and having two 11 year old germ factories, We HAVE to take it seriously....

Prudence and following CDC guidelines/recommendations is smart. Panic is not. I'd do the same thing if I were you. I'm under 65 with no underlying health conditions. I wash my hands/cart handles, etc., don't touch my face, and don't touch other people. Other than that, business as usual.

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Keep in mind...

Some of the greediest people on Earth....the sports industry....are cancelling games, tournaments, heck, maybe even seasons.  They are about to lose millions & millions & millions (maybe billions) of dollars by making these decisions.  

Think about how many times in history that these people have ever made decisions TO LOSE MONEY???  I'm sorry but these multimillionaires & billionaires know something that perhaps we regular folks don't.

Take it seriously or not....your choice obviously, but w/ an abundance of chemo & radiation in my recent history (plus living in a state who's sole income is based on national & international tourism & an entire elderly population who crams our space to the gills this time of year) and having two 11 year old germ factories, We HAVE to take it seriously....

I'm not typically an alarmist but becoming a hermit right now is very important to my health.

To each their own but just thought I'd share a view from one who is taking this very seriously.

Stay safe, War Eagle and God bless!!

Did they consult you for this article? They could have. It...and your post...are full of wisdom. 

#FlattenTheCurve

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/03/13/why-everything-is-closing-for-coronavirus-its-called-flattening-the-curve/

Archived