Reopening states will cause 233,000 more people...

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was at a masks-optional beach yesterday and, let me tell ya, you do not want to see most of those people with no mask on.Β 

Sounds like you might have been atΒ a clothing optional beach!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Sounds like you might have been a clothing optional beach!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β 

8 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

We’ve started resuming here in TX for most medical procedures.Β 

Good. Despite my stance on other specifics, it does seem like that is appropriate at this time. The hospital I work for is also getting back to full service. Visitation still severely limited and we're all wearing masks. Thank goodness.Β 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Very important to remember when citing any of these statistics that they have been accumulated with the country mostly in lockdown. The mitigation efforts "working" (80,000 dead Americans and 2,000 more dying every day) doesn't seem like a good reason to stop them to me.Β 

It's true that hospitals are laying people off. A lot of rural hospitals were already in bad shape financially (another reason for massive healthcare/payer overhaul) but stopping the elective surgeries broke their backs. Those for whom it isn't already too late are starting to do elective surgeries again so that trend should reverse. Again, though, the reason the system wasn't overwhelmed is because the mitigation efforts are somewhat working. Lift the restrictions and we likely have a lot more New Yorks (where healthcare systems- and the post-mortem industry- very much have been overwhelmed.)

Welcome, good luck and War Eagle.

If NY City is overwhelmed then why was the ship sent away and why have many of the make shift β€œtreatment centers/shelters been taken down? Let’s assume NYC is overwhelmed. There is no other place in the country close to being overwhelmed is there? If you reopen and things get close to having our system overwhelmed anywhere, then adjust.Β 
Β 

I serve as chairman of our school board here for Social Circle City Schools. We have been told to plan for a 14% budget cut. Our staff salaries and benefits make up 87% of our budget. We already run a very lean system.Β 
Β 

I’mΒ not sure some people are considering the health issues caused by financial stress.Β 

Top health experts caution against reopening society before coronavirus testing capacity expands

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/coronavirus-testing-capacity-expansion/index.html

Β 

I think we are about to repeat the history of our response to the Spanish Flu epidemic.Β  This Fall may be worse than this Spring.Β  And that's not going to do the economy any good either.

Β 

54 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

If NY City is overwhelmed then why was the ship sent away and why have many of the make shift β€œtreatment centers/shelters been taken down?

Because NYC is no longer overwhelmed?Β 

59 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

There is no other place in the country close to being overwhelmed is there?

Seattle was. New Orleans was close. Fortunately most other cities shut down in time.Β 

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

If you reopen and things get close to having our system overwhelmed anywhere, then adjust.Β 

Again with the two weeks thing. Under our current testing protocols, by the time somebody tests positive, they've already infected several other people.Β 

I serve as chairman of our school board here for Social Circle City Schools. We have been told to plan for a 14% budget cut. Our staff salaries and benefits make up 87% of our budget. We already run a very lean system.Β 

I’mΒ not sure some people are considering the health issues caused by financial stress.Β 

Oh, certainly some people fail to consider the implications of their preferred course of action, on every side. I don't think they represent a significant percentage. Certainly not people in leadership roles. Even the ones with whom I object likely know the numbers. It's just a matter of which numbers are most important to them.Β 

Just posted by a nurse in the main football forum, in response to this same question, asked by someone else. The "it truly will" in the first sentence refers to the virus overwhelming our healthcare systems.

Well, to be honest with you , I don’t know if it truly will from a patient to personnel ratio. What I will say is it does affect us mentally , physically and emotionally. Specific mentally is where healthcare frontline staff is struggling. Now, the northeast is a different ball game, but I can say from the Wisconsin standpoint, it absolutely mentally and emotionally draining to take care of these patients . It’s even further exacerbated by the restriction put on family members. The media shows a lot of stuff for better or worse, but they don’t show the moments where you have to FaceTime a love one because their young adult son is on a ventilator and probably won’t make it through the night.

When you are not only physically taking care of love ones, but you are also holistically connected to the family and then you have to worry about your own health . You have to worry about exposing yourself to your own family. We sign up to do this, so I don’t ever truly think it will overwhelm us, but I do think those residual effects will amplify and affect the frontline caregivers. That can be problematic.Β 

Β 

Seattle was. New Orleans was close. Fortunately most other cities shut down in time.Β 

Houston cam out really lucky. We started measures in early March. The HLSR was cancelled as well due to it which is the largest Live Stock and Rodeo in the world. Especially amazing considering that the Houston area is a major international hub due to oil and gas. Lot of companies were already monitoring the situation in early February.

10 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Houston came out really lucky. We started measures in early March. The HLSR was cancelled as well due to it which is the largest Live Stock and Rodeo in the world. Especially amazing considering that the Houston area is a major international hub due to oil and gas. Lot of companies were already monitoring the situation in early February.

Β 

Because NYC is no longer overwhelmed?Β 

Again with the two weeks thing. Under our current testing protocols, by the time somebody tests positive, they've already infected several other people.Β 

Oh, certainly some people fail to consider the implications of their preferred course of action, on every side. I don't think they represent a significant percentage. Certainly not people in leadership roles. Even the ones with whom I object likely know the numbers. It's just a matter of which numbers are most important to them.Β 

I notice a few cities were or were close to being overwhelmed, but none currently are or are even close to being overwhelmed. It is time to adjust to the facts as they are instead of as they were . If they change we can quickly adjust again. Also, we always have the ace up our sleeve as it relates to those under 55 without underlying conditions being at virtually no risk of dying with Covid-19 no matter what we do.Β 

I notice a few cities were or were close to being overwhelmed, but none currently are or are even close to being overwhelmed. It is time to adjust to the facts as they are instead of as they were . If they change we can quickly adjust again. Also, we always have the ace up our sleeve as it relates to those under 55 without underlying conditions being at virtually no risk of dying with Covid-19 no matter what we do.Β 

In my mind, health systems being overwhelmed is something you work to avoid- as we are- as opposed to letting it happen and then reacting.Β 

And "only" tens of thousands of people mostly my parents' age dying is not an "ace up our sleeve". Wow.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In my mind, health systems being overwhelmed is something you work to avoid- as we are- as opposed to letting it happen and then reacting.Β 

And "only" tens of thousands of people mostly my parents' age dying is not an "ace up our sleeve". Wow.

Again only 4,000 out of 25,000,000 have died with Covid-19 In the under 55 age group in the US so far per the CDC and this even includes those with underlying medical conditions. More in this age group have died with pneumonia since Feb. 1st in this country. So there is virtually no risk of dying With Covid-19 if you are under 65 with no underlying medical conditions. So don’t take what I am saying out of context. I believe those in the higher risk category should be able to choose for themselves whether or not to get out. Those with virtually no risk of dying with Covid-19 should clearly be able to have the freedom to open their businesses. I agree with not allowing our healthcare system not come close to being overwhelmed and this is whyΒ you can have more sheltering in place if you see this to start happening. You adjust to the facts on the ground and the facts are clearly supporting those without underlying medical conditions under 55 are at almost no risk of dying with Covid-19 by getting out. If facts change then make adjustments. You are ReallyΒ saying ignore the facts and basing it on maybes and emotions and fear. I’m saying go where the facts take us and adjust when necessary.Β 

Not sure how that can exactly be an "ace up our sleeve." I think we should reopen but the ace up our sleeve needs to be awareness and respecting whatever "social distancing" protocols local authorities suggest. If businesses ask for us to wear masks we should just wear a mask. I don't understand why people (not referencing you) are so distraught over wearing a dang mask. LOLΒ 

Β 

Edit: I don't think you are saying to sacrifice the old to reopen, but more rather the ones that are affected the most with their businesses being closed are less susceptible to the virus so they should be allowed to open.Β 

6 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Again only 4,000 out of 25,000,000 have died with Covid-19 In the under 55 age group in the US so far per the CDC and this even includes those with underlying medical conditions. More in this age group have died with pneumonia since Feb. 1st in this country. So there is virtually no risk of dying With Covid-19 if you are under 65 with no underlying medical conditions. So don’t take what I am saying out of context. I believe those in the higher risk category should be able to choose for themselves whether or not to get out. Those with virtually no risk of dying with Covid-19 should clearly be able to have the freedom to open their businesses. I agree with not allowing our healthcare system not come close to being overwhelmed and this is way you can have more sheltering in place if you see this to start happening. You adjust to the facts on the ground and the facts are clearly supporting those without underlying medical conditions under 55 are at almost no risk of dying with Covid-19 by getting out.Β 

I added an my edit to my post........I get what what you are saying, but in Loof's defense it does come across like you are saying let's discount the over 65 folks to reopen.Β 

26 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I added an my edit to my post........I get what what you are saying, but in Loof's defense it does come across like you are saying let's discount the over 65 folks to reopen.Β 

Sorry it comes across that way. To be clear I would advise anyone age 65 and older and anyone with underlying medical conditions to be extremely cautious and to accept as few visitors as possible into their homes and to get out as infrequently as possible. I would advise ALL others to get back to get to work while observing common sense guidelines.Β 

40 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Again only 4,000 out of 25,000,000 have died with Covid-19 In the under 55 age group in the US so far per the CDC and this even includes those with underlying medical conditions. More in this age group have died with pneumonia since Feb. 1st in this country. So there is virtually no risk of dying With Covid-19 if you are under 65 with no underlying medical conditions. So don’t take what I am saying out of context. I believe those in the higher risk category should be able to choose for themselves whether or not to get out. Those with virtually no risk of dying with Covid-19 should clearly be able to have the freedom to open their businesses. I agree with not allowing our healthcare system not come close to being overwhelmed and this is whyΒ you can have more sheltering in place if you see this to start happening. You adjust to the facts on the ground and the facts are clearly supporting those without underlying medical conditions under 55 are at almost no risk of dying with Covid-19 by getting out. If facts change then make adjustments. You are ReallyΒ saying ignore the facts and basing it on maybes and emotions and fear. I’m saying go where the facts take us and adjust when necessary.Β 

I am not saying ignore the facts at all.Β 

I had hopes this would go better.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I am not saying ignore the facts at all.Β 

I had hopes this would go better.

Murphy’s Law!!!Β 

8 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

I have been posting for years on the Toomer's Corner board and am here now as a result of it being shut down. Β I look forward to some great discussions and hope to learn a grealt deal from everyone here.Β 

Per the CDC website less than 4,000 out of a population of over 25,000,000 have died with Covid-19 in the US who are under the age of 55 years old. Β This includes those with underlying medical conditions. In fact, per the CDC since Feb. 1st until now more people under 55 years old have died with pneumonia than with Covid-19 in the US. Β 

Our healthcare system is not close to being overwhelmed and in fact several have laid off employees. Β There is very, very, very, very low risk of anyone in the US under the age of 55 dying with Covid-19. Β If you take away those with inderlying conditions there is virtually no chance of anyone in the US dying with Covid-19 who is under age 65. Β Based on the data, it is past time for businesses to be able to open and I mean all businesses. If the data changes then we can adjust to the facts on the ground at that time.Β 

This is mostlyΒ Β how I feel. I’m not trying to downplay the seriousness of the virus. I think the precautions we have taken were correct. But I think data is constantly changing. We should change with it. If that means one step forward then two steps back , we can adjust.Β 
Β Β  Β  Β That was the original reason to implement mitigation practices. Not to have the healthcare system overwhelmed...... we did a good job of that in most places. Let’s reopen those places. We gotta save football season.Β 
Β Β  Β  Β  All y’all over 75 are gonna die soon anyway. Take one for the team.Β 

How does a Β 40 year old business owner opening his or her business kill a 75 year old who takes the same precautions they are taking now do tell.

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

How does a Β 40 year old business owner opening his or her business kill a 75 year old who takes the same precautions they are taking now do tell.

Is that guilt?

50 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Strychnine, hit-n-run, or falling piano...

Sorry it comes across that way. To be clear I would advise anyone age 65 and older and anyone with underlying medical conditions to be extremely cautious and to accept as few visitors as possible into their homes and to get out as infrequently as possible. I would advise ALL others to get back to get to work while observing common sense guidelines.Β 

Just hit 65 and seems that people in my age groupΒ have adjusted pretty well to advised recommendations. ManyΒ of us live that way in normal times. Toughest thing is not being able to travel as freelyΒ and spendΒ time with with family members. Had to cancel a couple of flights but have made several trips on the interstate and highways. Gloves and mask to fuel up. If you need to stretch or take a leak pull behind the truckers parking at rearΒ of rest stops. Usually nothing there other than a few sleeping drivers and always a greenΒ privacy hedge row.Β 

Not ready to advise ALL others to get back to work. Depends on the individual, what they do and where they work. I still do some work. Been able to see several company/corporate policies regarding "coronavirus and work".Β  All appear to be very responsible and flexible.Β 

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Strychnine, hit-n-run, or falling piano...

That’s some Wiley Coyote stuff there man!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Just now, wdefromtx said:

That’s some Wiley Coyote stuff there man!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Although typically slower over longΒ  distances, those 75 year olds are sneaky quick in short burst

Archived