James Owens

auburn4ever

I'm hoping someone can answer this question. Why hasn't James Owens Jersey number 43 been retired? He was the first black scholarship football player for Auburn. I also wonder why Thom Gossim's Jersey number 49 hasn't been retired.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm hoping someone can answer this question. Why hasn't James Owens Jersey number 43 been retired? He was the first black scholarship football player for Auburn. I also wonder why Thom Gossim's Jersey number 49 hasn't been retired.

You may have something there in regard to James Owens. I.dont know if it's been done before but we could name the entrance(?) of the new football only facility after him. Since he paved the way for Black football players I think something should be done. I just haven't heard if a portal being named in honor of someone. 

Just a thought.

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

You may have something there in regard to James Owens. I.dont know if it's been done before but we could name the entrance(?) of the new football only facility after him. Since he paved the way for Black football players I think something should be done. I just haven't heard if a portal being named in honor of someone. 

Just a thought.

Wow! What a great idea. Very symbolic. Or at least have a hall dedicated to him and other early black athletes at Auburn who paved the way for others. 

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Pretty sure the only numbers that are retired have won Heisman trophies

And Terry Beasley's number 88.

I like the idea of a place or something similar to honor him instead of his number....unless you wanted to give his number to a player who achieved something 'special' every year...

While I totally agree with the sentiment, I can't see Philip Lutzenkirchen's number retired specifically for someone else, even though the rationale is rock solid and Owens preceded him. Although, further to @tigerman1186's comment above, Lutz would certainly be a worthy man to retroactively be honored in that way.

Love some of the other suggestions provided, too. 

Look at you bringing the fam to the table, A4E! Nice!

22 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I would have no problem with James # being retired Thom not so sure. I knew both fairly well they were great guys and right for the times James was more low key laid back kind of guy Thom more outspoken. Thom had a white girlfriend, damn good looking brunette, and back then it could cause some problems remember we're talking the early 70's George Wallace time. Also Thom came to AU as a walk on which made it very challenging for him 

That's right. Terry Beasley never won the Heisman and his number is retired. Why not James Owens.

I met James a few times through a good friend Tres Rogers who played guard at Auburn. James broke the barrier and was just the epitome of a true Auburn man. Not everybody was happy when James came to Auburn but he handled it well to be honest much better than I would have. He was the right person to open the gates for black athletes on the Auburn Football team.  I used to go to Sheppard's Purse a Black nightclub that had great music. I always felt a little out of place even though there were always a few other white people there. Tres, James and I went to Sheppard's Purse together one time with him and Tres who was 1/2 American Indian I didn't feel out of place as so many people came over to talk to them and included me because I was with them. I will always remember that.

He does deserve a special honor of some type.  I saw a lot of great ideas for the honor and would support any of them.

Archived