Yeah, a good chunk of MAGA is absolutely deplorable

TexasTiger

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Presumably, you understand the mask is more for protecting others - including all your MAGA friends that are refusing to wear one?  I doesn't really protect you, at least not much.

Only person I've met not willing to wear one is a democrat. Drives a little foreign boxy sports car with a Biden 2020 sign. A professor from Nashville TN. Came to look at some property we have sale at the beach Sunday afternoon. His lovely wife had to make him put a mask on then the screwball wanted to shake my hand. I am in the middle of flag flying Trump country and have heard none of them b!tch about mask. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You cannot be serious.  Do I really need to go back and provide all of the instances where Trump denied the threat or made happy talk about it going away?

Blaming China is not a valid excuse for our own ineptness and lack of leadership.  

I never said Trump has done a good job overall handling this crisis. I don’t think he has either. However, everyone in this country has all the info they need in order to limit their risk. Trump has done nothing as deadly as those governors who put older folks with Covid-19 back into facilities with other elderly residents.  The bottom line though is this virus is the fault of the Chinese government. 

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Only person I've met not willing to wear one is a democrat. Drives a little foreign boxy sports car with a Biden 2020 sign. A professor from Nashville TN. Came to look at some property we have sale at the beach Sunday afternoon. His lovely wife had to make him put a mask on then the screwball wanted to shake my hand. I am in the middle of flag flying Trump country and have heard none of them b!tch about mask. 

Anecdotes aside, there are plenty of studies that indicate large political differences in mask wearing. (Didn't recall seeing many MAGAs wearing them at Trump's rallies, including Trump.)

The fact that more and more Republicans are finally starting to wear them is now the big news:

Republicans Wearing Masks More As Coronavirus Surges, Poll Finds

More Republicans are finally wearing masks, a new Axios/Ipsos poll finds, an indication the partisan divide surrounding facial coverings may be fading as more prominent GOP politicians — including President Trump — express support for masks amid a raging pandemic.

KEY FACTS

45% of Republicans say they’re wearing facial coverings “all the time,” an increase from 35% at the end of June.

A partisan divide remains, but has narrowed: 95% of Democrats indicate they wear a mask “some or all of the time outside the house,” while just 74% of Republicans say the same. 

The poll — conducted on July 10-13 in a survey of 1,063 respondents — found that more Americans overall are wearing a mask “all the time,” 62%, an uptick from just 53% when the same question was asked two weeks ago. 

The survey comes as more Republicans convey enthusiastic support for facial coverings as cases surge across the country, after some GOP lawmakers initially showed tacit approval of wearing facial coverings.

Trump wore a mask for the first time in public on Saturday during a visit to Walter Reed, and recently said he’s “all for masks,” after Democrats — and some Republicans — prodded him to set a better example.  

A partisan divide remains over mandating masks at the state level, and Trump has brushed off the need for a national mask mandate........

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/07/14/republicans-wearing-masks-more-as-coronavirus-surges-poll-finds/#18378d964984

On 7/13/2020 at 6:12 PM, alexava said:

4 people in my small community have passed away in the last week. All in their 70s and 80s. All COVID-19. Yes they had underlying conditions. No visitations, gravesite funerals where only close family will attend and wear masks. These are certainly not liberals either. One did have a funeral procession as the hearse and the family took a drive through the family farm and the community where hundreds of people stood and waved. You would really just have to see it. Edit..............

A pastor in Tanner is speaking out after losing not one but three of his church's members to the novel coronavirus.

Pastor Jason Greene of Tanner United Methodist Church said the pandemic became "very, very real" as members learned two women had died after being diagnosed with COVID-19, with one woman's husband considered a "probable" death from the disease.

"They had deep, deep roots in that community, and I think their deaths ... I think it just took the community and church by surprise," Greene said.

The married couple passed within days of each other, after the wife tested positive for COVID-19 but before the husband did, he said. The third member was diagnosed a short time before her death and lived at a local long-term health facility, but other churchgoers stayed in touch with the woman and her family.

Greene said he spoke with the woman's daughter after her death. Due to health restrictions, the woman's children had to dress in full personal protective gear and agree to quarantine for two weeks after the visit just so they could see their mother one last time before she died.

"The daughter said to see the suffering was unfathomable, because she'd never experienced that in her life," Greene said. "She knew her mom was suffering, in pain, and she knew it wouldn't be an easy death. I think she felt a sense of relief mixed with deep sadness when her mom passed."

He said news of the three has "had a strong impact on the community and in the church." They had discussed resuming weekly indoor services, but after the spike in cases and the latest news within the church, Greene said Tanner UMC will continue with drive-in and virtual services instead.

"It's just too dangerous," Greene said. "The numbers are going up, and it's hitting close to home. Now we all know people who have died from this."

As of Tuesday, there had been a total four confirmed deaths and one probable death in Limestone County, according to the Alabama Department of Public Health. ADPH also reported a new cumulative confirmed case total of 691 in Limestone County since March, with 190 of those cases reported in the last eight days.

"I want life to be as normal as anybody, I don't enjoy this, but I don't think people took this very seriously, and now that we have begun to reopen and people are going to the beach and traveling, we're seeing a spike," Greene said. "This is real. It's not make-believe. There's no way this could be the hoax some think it is."

Two other members in the church — a Huntsville police officer and a health care worker, each in their 20s — have also been diagnosed, according to Greene. They were due to be married this summer but have had to postpone their wedding, among other things, because of the virus and pandemic.

"I love them almost like younger siblings, and it just — it's very painful," Greene said. "It's painful for everybody there in the church, because everyone has some deep bond or love or emotional attachment to all of these people.

"On Thursday morning, a family is going to bury their grandmother and grandfather, together. It's going to be very lonely, it's going to be a sad service, and a lifetime of friends that made memories won't be able to be there. That's horrible."

On social media, Greene encouraged everyone to be part of the solution and to be careful during the pandemic.

"There's no sadness like losing a loved one to a horrible disease like COVID-19," he wrote. "... This is real ... and it is deadly."

28 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

What kind of beach property do you have for sale?

51 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I never said Trump has done a good job overall handling this crisis. I don’t think he has either. However, everyone in this country has all the info they need in order to limit their risk. Trump has done nothing as deadly as those governors who put older folks with Covid-19 back into facilities with other elderly residents.  The bottom line though is this virus is the fault of the Chinese government. 

There's a big difference between having the information presented to you and actually acting on it.  Especially when different and contradictory information is presented by the POTUS and the experts.

Trump is responsible for this resurgence because of his push to reopen the economy prematurely.  He did this solely because of his political prospects and we are now paying the price. 

And he still continues to refute his own government's guidelines - for example - in reopening schools.

The consequences of Trumps lack of leadership is far, far greater than any given mistake that any given governor has made. It's not even close.  Don't fall for Trump's attempts to shift blame and responsibility to governors.

(BTW, Trump relaxed the regulations on nursing homes just as the pandemic hit: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/15/coronavirus-nursing-homes-361510)

And again, the origins of the virus or China's culpability in handling it has nothing to do with the inadequacy of American response.  Other advanced countries have been dealing with this same pandemic with more success than the U.S., now they are even banning American citizens from entering their countries.   

Trump trying to blame China is just another way of his trying to avoid his personal responsibility for mishandling it.

27 minutes ago, alexava said:

What kind of beach property do you have for sale?

An older mom & pop beach house. One of the few left around here. Even has the old beautiful terrazzo floors on the lower level. Seems to be a trade we have lost plus no one can afford them now. Why are you asking?

42 minutes ago, homersapien said:

(Didn't recall seeing many MAGAs wearing them at Trump's rallies, including Trump.)

Well I missed the rally and they did not come on my property.

36 minutes ago, homersapien said:

There's a big difference between having the information presented to you and actually acting on it.  Especially when different and contradictory information is presented by the POTUS and the experts.

Trump is responsible for this resurgence because of his push to reopen the economy prematurely.  He did this solely because of his political prospects and we are now paying the price. 

And he still continues to refute his own government's guidelines - for example - in reopening schools.

The consequences of Trumps lack of leadership is far, far greater than any given mistake that any given governor has made. It's not even close.  Don't fall for Trump's attempts to shift blame and responsibility to governors.

(BTW, Trump reversed the fines the Obama administration had placed on rest homes not meeting minimum medical requirements, but this was before the pandemic.)

And again, the origins of the virus or China's culpability in handling it has nothing to do with the inadequacy of American response.  Other advanced countries have been dealing with this same pandemic with more success than the U.S., now they are even banning American citizens from entering their countries.   

Trump trying to blame China is just another way of his trying to avoid his personal responsibility for mishandling it.

I think we should have never shut everything down except in places where our healthcare system is close to getting overwhelmed. I think this is how most governors are handling it now. Many are doing a good job of adjusting to the facts on the ground. The bottom line is this virus is going to go through our population until herd immunity is developed. The best thing to do is for those at high risk to remain very cautious and to shelter in place. The others should go about their lives while taking the proper precautions. Again things should only be closed down when or if the heathcare system in that area is close to getting overwhelmed. Schools should largely open because school aged children are at less risk of dying with Covid-19 than they are of dying with the flu. We do need to make sure the high risk staff members are protected and not put at risk while doing so. We also need to offer an online option because a few students do have underlying medical conditions and some do have guardians who are high risk. I really don’t pay much attention to what politicians in either side say about this issue. Both sides have political motives and I don’t care about those at all. 

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

An older mom & pop beach house. One of the few left around here. Even has the old beautiful terrazzo floors on the lower level. Seems to be a trade we have lost plus no one can afford them now. Why are you asking?

Just dreaming. My wife threatens to sell one or both of our houses and buy a beach property. I don’t think it’s a good investment for us. We would be there too much to profit. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Just dreaming. My wife threatens to sell one or both of our houses and buy a beach property. I don’t think it’s a good investment for us. We would be there too much to profit. 

Have come to hate the coast this time of year. To hot to fish and way to crowded. Never have had investment property here. I have never cared for condos or the baggage that comes with them. Easy enough to keep a "beach house" occupied but they cost a fortune and the maintenance is  on going and very costly. 

26 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

what is the price for a mom and pop style beach house? and is it hurricane proof or would one possibly drown if they stayed home?

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

and is it hurricane proof

Old original has been there since the 50's. An addition in the 80's. A refurbishing in 2010. Still standing 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Old original has been there since the 50's. An addition in the 80's. A refurbishing in 2010. Still standing 

well that helps............rolls eyes.

Back to topic:

Walmart to require customers to wear masks at all its stores

The company said the policy will go into effect on Monday to allow time to inform stores and customers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/15/walmart-requires-masks-all-stores-363789

Good for Walmart!

I've got mixed feelings though.  I personally try to shop at smaller local retail outlets as a matter of principle in supporting the local small business economy.  But I've noticed that you are much more likely to see many more people wearing masks in larger establishments and chain stores.  

I don't know if it's a reflection on the owners of small businesses or the nature of their clientele, but more and more, I am gravitating to places like Lowe's instead of the local hardware and buying my produce at the chain grocery stores (like Walmart) instead of the roadside produce stands.  It seems no one in these small local businesses wear masks - including the employees.

Just another way this pandemic is going to disproportionately harm small businesses I suppose.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Back to topic:

The company said the policy will go into effect on Monday to allow time to inform stores and customers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/15/walmart-requires-masks-all-stores-363789

Good for Walmart!

I've got mixed feelings though.  I personally try to shop at smaller local retail outlets as a matter of principle in supporting the local small business economy.  But I've noticed that you are much more likely to see many more people wearing masks in larger establishments and chain stores.   I don't know if it's a reflection on the owners of these small business or the nature of their clientele, but more and more, I am gravitating to places like Lowe's instead of the local hardware and buying my produce at the chain grocery stores (like Walmart) instead of the roadside produce stands.  It seems no one in these small local businesses wear masks - including the employees.

Just another way this pandemic is going to disproportionately harm small businesses I suppose.

I also try to shop locally and avoid big chains when possible.  Where I live some small businesses do say you must have a mask on to enter and some of them do not.  One of the oddest things I've seen is our local Mexican restaurant has a sign on the door and it simply says you are not allowed to enter if you have any Covid-19 symptoms and it is really only based on the honor system.  

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

Back to topic:

Good for Walmart!

I've got mixed feelings though.  I personally try to shop at smaller local retail outlets as a matter of principle in supporting the local small business economy.  But I've noticed that you are much more likely to see many more people wearing masks in larger establishments and chain stores.  

I don't know if it's a reflection on the owners of small businesses or the nature of their clientele, but more and more, I am gravitating to places like Lowe's instead of the local hardware and buying my produce at the chain grocery stores (like Walmart) instead of the roadside produce stands.  It seems no one in these small local businesses wear masks - including the employees.

Still prefer the local hardware stores, despise going in Lowes or HD. Kudos to Russell in Auburn and Ace local anywhere. You can find knowledgeable help plus if you need two screws you can buy two screws rather than a box. If you need lumber, etc... drive to the yard and loaded for you. Have two Ace stores on the coast with lumber yards. Biggest thing  in my mind is ability to get in out quickly and limited exposure. With a charge account and knowing exactly what you need either of the places will happily bring it out to you when requested phone. 

We still enjoy the roadside produce this time of year. Stop at two regular places often. Outside is a plus and the people selling respect the distance thing. On campus Auburn allows a farmers market off Donahue every Thursday afternoon in the summer. Mrs. Salty and I went by a few weeks ago but drove on by. Most people there wearing mask but it was way to crowded for our comfort.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Still prefer the local hardware stores, despise going in Lowes or HD. Kudos to Russell in Auburn and Ace local anywhere. You can find knowledgeable help plus if you need two screws you can buy two screws rather than a box. If you need lumber, etc... drive to the yard and loaded for you. Have two Ace stores on the coast with lumber yards. Biggest thing  in my mind is ability to get in out quickly and limited exposure. With a charge account and knowing exactly what you need either of the places will happily bring it out to you when requested phone. 

We still enjoy the roadside produce this time of year. Stop at two regular places often. Outside is a plus and the people selling respect the distance thing. On campus Auburn allows a farmers market off Donahue every Thursday afternoon in the summer. Mrs. Salty and I went by a few weeks ago but drove on by. Most people there wearing mask but it was way to crowded for our comfort.

As far as local hardware stores up here, they have much better prices on lumber. That’s about it. And they do load you up and even deliver for free if it’s a ~500$ sale. The problem is that they close at 4:30 or 5:00M-F 12:00 Saturday. Closed Sunday. Lowe’s is open till 9:00? Maybe later and if you don’t know exactly what you want you can just browse around until you see it or decide. The local places act like something is wrong with a person who doesn’t know exactly what he needs when pull into the parking lot. Unless I am doing something big the local places are not convenient for me. But I do support them when I can. 

On 7/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, SocialCircle said:

You don’t know what you are talking about. I didn’t think the protesters in MI should have decided to be armed. Even Hannity didn’t agree with it. I am all for anyone peaceful protesting but I am not for looting or rioting no matter who it is. BTW there were people shot and killed by the leftists in Seattle and at least one rape reported. This was not the case in MI. Everyone knows the left does the vast majority of the rioting and looting and destruction in this country. It is really no contest. Had your post called out those in MI I would not have pointed out your hypocrisy, but since it pointed out some who refuse to wear masks you made yourself an easy target.

You need to be aware anything uttered from Aubie Fifty is going to literally scream of hypocrisy and idiocy. Arguing with him will only put you on high blood pressure meds (so not worth it).

On 7/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, homersapien said:

And again, the origins of the virus or China's culpability in handling it has nothing to do with the inadequacy of American response. 

Two biggest reasons for the spike that started in June:

1. A bunch of leftist immunologists made a statement regarding the BLM protests that it is ok for folks to get out there and raise hell on the streets of our cities because controlling the pandemic would have to take a back seat to BLM.

2. Young people heard that and decided "what the hell" and did whatever they liked from that point on.

DJT had nothing to do with any of that but keep spouting your never Trump b.s.

37 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Two biggest reasons for the spike that started in June:

1. A bunch of leftist immunologists made a statement regarding the BLM protests that it is ok for folks to get out there and raise hell on the streets of our cities because controlling the pandemic would have to take a back seat to BLM.

2. Young people heard that and decided "what the hell" and did whatever they liked from that point on.

DJT had nothing to do with any of that but keep spouting your never Trump b.s.

Yeah, those "leftist immunologists" are a real threat.  :lmao:

Assuming you are actually serious - of which I have doubts - you are making a total fool of yourself. 

Are you like 12 years old or something?

On 7/13/2020 at 9:04 AM, SocialCircle said:

I think everyone should make their own decision. I think encouraging but not requiring is the way to go.  Personally I do wear a mask as I am high risk. However, I am not for requiring anyone to wear a mask. I have the same opinion as it relates to helmet wearing while riding bikes and as it relates to seat belts. I wear them personally but I think it is government overreach to require them. 

This is an argument that makes no sense to me.  The real benefit of wearing masks isn't for the person who doesn't have it but is at risk.  The real benefit of masks comes from the person who *IS* infected (but may not yet realize they are) wearing one.  The infected person wearing one protects everyone else far more than everyone else wearing one while Mr. Personal Choice chooses not to. That's why personal choice is just silly.  

To use your helmet analogy, wearing a mask in this pandemic would be like if somehow YOU wearing a helmet would significantly decrease the chances of the person in the other vehicle getting a serious head injury, but would only provide a small benefit for you personally.  But if they wore one, it would somehow significantly decrease YOUR chances of getting one.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This is an argument that makes no sense to me.  The real benefit of wearing masks isn't for the person who doesn't have it but is at risk.  The real benefit of masks comes from the person who *IS* infected (but may not yet realize they are) wearing one.  The infected person wearing one protects everyone else far more than everyone else wearing one while Mr. Personal Choice chooses not to. That's why personal choice is just silly.  

To use your helmet analogy, wearing a mask in this pandemic would be like if somehow YOU wearing a helmet would significantly decrease the chances of the person in the other vehicle getting a serious head injury, but would only provide a small benefit for you personally.  But if they wore one, it would somehow significantly decrease YOUR chances of getting one.

It's funny, but one of the best representations I've seen was in the other forum earlier today.  It's brilliant in it's simplicity.

image.png.7d0eccb58651d0f6d4ffbe7bedd5b9b2.png

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I understand your perspective, but I disagree with it. 

There are also people with asthma, anxiety, allergies to some materials, and other medical conditions that makes mask wearing less safe for them. I believe for government that education and encouragement is the way to go. 

Archived