Yeah, a good chunk of MAGA is absolutely deplorable

TexasTiger

1 minute ago, savorytiger said:

Wait, I totally misunderstood what you said before. Shields are on teachers so the children can see their faces, and there's nothing separating students like the image someone else posted on this forums a few months back. I can see that helping with the safety of the staff while keeping teachers faces visible.

I think we still disagree about student to student (and then to their families/everyone else) transmission probabilities without any mask policy in place, but I doubt either one of us is changing the others opinion there.

We are encouraging our students to wear masks, but are not mandating it because it is not best for all students per the Ga. Dept. of Public Health.  

Our staff will be wearing masks or face shields. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

We are encouraging our students to wear masks, but are not mandating it because it is not best for all students per the Ga. Dept. of Public Health.  

Our staff will be wearing masks or face shields. 

We're on the same page on what's happening in your school district. I'm just really curious how masks could increase students' chances for getting COVID. I know I'm being skeptical about a source you trust, but you can understand why I'd feel that way, right?

For the record, while I'm very much against allowing all kids to come back to school without stringent COVID policies in place, I'm also against pure distance learning. Socialization is extremely important for a child's development, and remote learning is just bad. There should be some happy medium where we can limit numbers in schools to reduce risk while maximizing in person learning time. I think there are a lot of measures can be taken that just costs more money, but this should be one on the first places we should we looking to give out COVID relief.

31 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

We're on the same page on what's happening in your school district. I'm just really curious how masks could increase students' chances for getting COVID. I know I'm being skeptical about a source you trust, but you can understand why I'd feel that way, right?

For the record, while I'm very much against allowing all kids to come back to school without stringent COVID policies in place, I'm also against pure distance learning. Socialization is extremely important for a child's development, and remote learning is just bad. There should be some happy medium where we can limit numbers in schools to reduce risk while maximizing in person learning time. I think there are a lot of measures can be taken that just costs more money, but this should be one on the first places we should we looking to give out COVID relief.

I think it has to do with touching the face more. I think the masks help But let’s face it, schools are a melting pot of germs and at best masks will help slow the spread. 

56 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

According to the GDPH masks do reduce risk for most students. However, there are students (especially younger ones) who touch their faces much more often when wearing a mask. So wearing a mask could increase the risk of Covid-19 for these students. They also mentioned masks are not necessarily better and could cause other more significant medical issues with students with severe asthma and severe anxiety and some other medical conditions. One thing that surprised me is the guidance we have been provided indicates we should not take temperatures of students as they get on the bus and instead should take them after they arrive at school. Do you want to guess why? 

For kids at school all day with masks....,,, it’s not even logic to expect that to work. I don’t have any idea what to do. But I do know a few kids. Keeping their shoes on is a task. 

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

According to the GDPH masks do reduce risk for most students. However, there are students (especially younger ones) who touch their faces much more often when wearing a mask. They also mentioned masks are not necessarily better and could cause other more significant medical issues with students with severe asthma and severe anxiety and some other medical conditions. One thing that surprised me is the guidance we have been provided indicates we should not take temperatures of students as they get on the bus and instead should take them after they arrive at school. Do you want to guess why? 

That sort of issue seems like one that we would try to work around, not just do away with masks altogether (maybe I'm underestimating how many students will be willing to wear one with just the guidance given?). The goal, within reason, is to maximize safety. 

On the temperature question, doing it after a bus ride also allows you to control for the environment before they have their temperature taken. You don't know what state they were in before getting on the bus (or if they had to run to catch it or something).

7 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

That sort of issue seems like one that we would try to work around, not just do away with masks altogether (maybe I'm underestimating how many students will be willing to wear one with just the guidance given?). The goal, within reason, is to maximize safety. 

On the temperature question, doing it after a bus ride also allows you to control for the environment before they have their temperature taken. You don't know what state they were in before getting on the bus (or if they had to run to catch it or something).

We aren’t doing away with masks all together as we are encouraging them to be worn by students. 

The reason is if we know the bus rider has a temp of 100.3 or greater we can’t let them on the bus. Many folks send their children to the bus stop and go to work. We can’t ever just send any student back to an empty house. So we were told to take the temp in first period and send them to an isolation room if the temp is above 100.3 until someone can come pick them up. 

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Apparently he just hasn't bought into their deliberate bias or he just rejects it. 

Perhaps they keep him just as a symbolic gesture toward being "fair and balanced".  I bet they pay him a ton to stay.

remember hannity and colmes? ol C was just a whipping boy. that is when i decided i did not care for vanity at all.......lol

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

We aren’t doing away with masks all together as we are encouraging them to be worn by students. 

The reason is if we know the bus rider has a temp of 100.3 or greater we can’t let them on the bus. Many folks send their children to the bus stop and go to work. We can’t ever just send any student back to an empty house. So we were told to take the temp in first period and send them to an isolation room if the temp is above 100.3 until someone can come pick them up. 

My point was that if you only encourage masks, there's no way they'll use them. Maybe I'm underestimating the kids/their parents. If the culture there is somehow accepting of masks, then maybe enough kids will wear it that the risk isn't so bad.

Re temperature thing: I appreciate not sending the kids back to an empty house, but the workaround allows sick kids to ride around in an enclosed space with a bunch of others. Other than having a way to isolate them before they get to school (I doubt many areas have the funds for something like that), I don't have any better suggestions though.

4 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

My point was that if you only encourage masks, there's no way they'll use them. Maybe I'm underestimating the kids/their parents. If the culture there is somehow accepting of masks, then maybe enough kids will wear it that the risk isn't so bad.

Re temperature thing: I appreciate not sending the kids back to an empty house, but the workaround allows sick kids to ride around in an enclosed space with a bunch of others. Other than having a way to isolate them before they get to school (I doubt many areas have the funds for something like that), I don't have any better suggestions though.

Yes, I agree there are no good choices on this one and you must make the better of the poor options available. I will be interested to see how many students wear a mask. I will let you know after school starts. I’ve enjoyed our conversation. Thanks!

8 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

I am the one who cares less what a politician says and instead is listening to the medical experts at the Georgia Dept. of Public Health.  They tell us making young people wear a mask increases their chances of getting Covid-19. Also, I don't believe the Georgia governor opened back up too soon.  Things should be opened up unless you are on the verge of overwhelming your healthcare system.  I'm not a mask complainer.  I am not complaining about anything.  You are the one complaining....not me.  

I told you I wear a mask and also think most people should do so.  

You either misunderstood what they said or they don't know what they are talking about. Masks don't protect you from Covid, they keep you from spreading it to others. It inhibits transmission.

If there's a rationale for such an assertion , I'd like to hear it. (Except you'll need to send me a PM.  You're on my "ignore" list.)

23 minutes ago, homersapien said:

(Except you'll need to send me a PM.  You're on my "ignore" list.)

You're a child in a senior citizen body. :homer:

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

You either misunderstood what they said or they don't know what they are talking about. Masks don't protect you from Covid, they keep you from spreading it to others. It inhibits transmission.

If there's a rationale for such an assertion , I'd like to hear it. (Except you'll need to send me a PM.  You're on my "ignore" list.)

I’m not sending you a message. You read the post you quoted so you can either read this one or not get the info. It could increase some students chances of getting COVID-19 because especially younger children tend to touch their faces much more frequently when wearing a mask. 

I didn’t misunderstand because our superintendent recommended this and we adopted the policy of encouraging mask wearing but not mandating wearing of masks by our students based on the info.  

9 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

You're a child in a senior citizen body. :homer:

So you're calling him Benjamin Button?  Damn.

i hereby name social, by the powers bestowed to me by this board to rename the poster mentioned to be called circle from now on.why? because he talks in circles................grins

you guys feel free to rename me. but remember i am fiddy times better looking than you guys. fiddy times  smarter than any maga's on here and fiddy times more awesome than you cats. i need 78 and salty to come kiss my ring finger. Anyway,pope or your awesomeness works for me.

Archived