Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

I didn’t say that. I said there’s a substantial portion of the family that wants that choir boy. They just aren’t the group coming on these forums. Included in that group are guys like Bo Jackson, who allegedly blocked us hiring Kirby in 2012 because he was a bad cultural fit. 

Puh-leeze. That was JJ's call, pure and simple. The "search committee" was purely cover. But if it was Bo's decision, did he have amnesia? He PLAYED for a guy with a track record exactly like Kirby's!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUwent said:

Puh-leeze. That was JJ's call, pure and simple. The "search committee" was purely cover. But if it was Bo's decision, did he have amnesia? He PLAYED for a guy with a track record exactly like Kirby's!

No it wasn’t. JJ gave the decision to a three person committee that included Bo, a business booster, and one other person (maybe Pat Dye?)

12 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

No it wasn’t. JJ gave the decision to a three person committee that included Bo, a business booster, and one other person (maybe Pat Dye?)

Point about amnesia stands. We would've never hired Pat Dye if we insisted on sticking with an "Auburn Man" (TM). I know that to some in our program winning is an amoral, evil thing.

(I'm not saying that I'm cool with abusing players or anything like that, mind you. It's just this idea that anyone with UAT bloodlines is bad is ridiculous.)

46 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Actually, the Pat was Pat Sullivan, not Pat Dye. If I recall, Dye wanted AU to hire Smart, but supposedly Jacob's vetoed it because Smart wanted to finish the season out at Bama since they were going to play for the championship. 

No one but Nick Saban will do. He is the only coach out there that can meet the criteria. Wait...I’d also take Meyer. He is a proven winner. Done it in the SEC. Stoops will be a good name, but just like Meyer will his heart be into it. If we went the serious route I would look at Luke @ Cincinnati. Allen @ Indiana. Maybe Kiffin if he has matured. And hey why not consider Sarkisian....? 

Someone that takes this game as what it is a business.  Saban has more former head coaches as analysts.  They can each take one opponent and game plan.  Hurts wants to leave he hires a quarterback coach to work with him exclusively.  He hires a PhD to work with devonte smith on just his burst off the line....different level different league than the rest of us.

Auburn needs a culture change 

Gus's teams have regressed over the years. From 2013-2014 his teams had a dynamic offense that put up lots of points on the board. Since 2015 and the whole Jeremy johnson fiasco, it hasn't really been the same. We've had bright spots in 2017 and 2019 but we haven't been a championship contender. Jarrett Stidham wasn't a bad qb but gus wasted his strengths. Bo nix isn't a bad qb but gus is wasting his strengths. 

We need like an offensive coordinator somewhere in his 30s. Auburn needs a culture change. Gus is the second longest tenured head coach in the SEC and not a very good resume. We constantly get embarrassed by our rivals on national TV, as long as the fans keep making excuses, its going to be like this every year. South Carolina fired will muschamp even though he beat Auburn which was a big deal but it didn't matter.

I like the offensive coordinator from UCF.

1 minute ago, drewzums343 said:

Auburn needs a culture change 

Gus's teams have regressed over the years. From 2013-2014 his teams had a dynamic offense that put up lots of points on the board. Since 2015 and the whole Jeremy johnson fiasco, it hasn't really been the same. We've had bright spots in 2017 and 2019 but we haven't been a championship contender. Jarrett Stidham wasn't a bad qb but gus wasted his strengths. Bo nix isn't a bad qb but gus is wasting his strengths. 

We need like an offensive coordinator somewhere in his 30s. Auburn needs a culture change. Gus is the second longest tenured head coach in the SEC and not a very good resume. We constantly get embarrassed by our rivals on national TV, as long as the fans keep making excuses, its going to be like this every year. South Carolina fired will muschamp even though he beat Auburn which was a big deal but it didn't matter.

I like the offensive coordinator from UCF.

Just hire the OC from Bama...if he does not get away this year.

18 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Doesn't matter. We're stuck with Gus at least 1 more year.

I just don't think Auburn can afford to keep him another year, and I don't mean financially. Recruiting is not going well, especially OL recruiting. Then there's morale. Surely the fan base cannot take another year of this. 

1 minute ago, Randy4AU said:

I just don't think Auburn can afford to keep him another year, and I don't mean financially. Recruiting is not going well, especially OL recruiting. Then there's morale. Surely the fan base cannot take another year of this. 

I agree with you but I'd be shocked if it happened. I think pre-COVID it's a maybe...a small maybe though. But now i think there's zero chance. Outside of a situations like Michigan & South Carolina. No football program is going to fire a coach with an average record considering everything everyone has been through just to play football. 

We're likely going to lose our 4 or 5 games plus the bowl game. That's just typical Gus so it's the status quo even during COVID. 

Gus has done well maintaining recruiting in spite of losing to UA, UGA, and LSU just about every year. Unfortunately, he’s losing momentum, which is huge in college football. It’s time for a change. Even if we do well next year, we’re going to be in a huge talent hole the few years after that in several positions.

I say Norvell would jump from the dumpster fire he inherited at FSU, or Cristobal from the left coast.

Just now, drsteve87 said:

Gus has done well maintaining recruiting in spite of losing to UA, UGA, and LSU just about every year. Unfortunately, he’s losing momentum, which is huge in college football. It’s time for a change. Even if we do well next year, we’re going to be in a huge talent hole the few years after that in several positions.

I say Norvell would jump from the dumpster fire he inherited at FSU, or Cristobal from the left coast.

I like how Cristobal builds his OL but my goodness he needs to work on closing games on offense. The way he's handled close games hasn't gone well at all. Watching them against us and then yesterday against Oregon St. gives me pause with him. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I like how Cristobal builds his OL but my goodness he needs to work on closing games on offense. The way he's handled close games hasn't gone well at all. Watching them against us and then yesterday against Oregon St. gives me pause with him. 

Yeah he closes games horribly. Like jeez not a good look. Don’t want him for top dollar that is for sure. No more over spending .

39 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Doesn't matter. We're stuck with Gus at least 1 more year.

🥺😢😭

17 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

But Mikey! Clearly Cristobal doesn't have the resources in Eugene, OR like he'd have at Auburn, AL!

Phil Knight's got nothing on Yella Fella! 🙄

The best guy out there is Dennis Allen.  With his defensive prowess he can build a defense with the ability to slow offenses like Bama and Florida but  coming up under a HC like Sean Peyton he will also imement a strong offensive system.

6 minutes ago, Carnell said:

The best guy out there is Dennis Allen.  With his defensive prowess he can build a defense with the ability to slow offenses like Bama and Florida but  coming up under a HC like Sean Peyton he will also imement a strong offensive system.

But can he recruit? Xs and O's are great but it takes more than flashing a super bowl ring at a prospect to build a program.

Not to say he couldn't be a solid hire but hiring a career NFL coach is a pretty big risk.

Looking back, I'm not so sure hiring Kirby Smart would have been a smart move for AU. He hasn't won the SEC because he can't beat Alabama in the SEC championship game.

Archived