Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

On 11/13/2020 at 7:12 PM, AUFriction said:

So, I’m frustrated with Gus as many of you are. We always drop at least one game we shouldn’t, and he’s continued Tubbs’s record of playing poorly against UGA. I even started a “fire Gus” thread after UGA because of how we lost that game. But here’s the thing I keep coming back to. Who do we replace him with? I’ve seen Crystobal’s (sp?) name thrown around, but what has he done? He had a future first round pick at QB last year, and he lost to Gus and wasn’t able to make the playoff. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be an improvement, but I haven’t seen anything to guarantee he is. The names I saw thrown around last year about this time were James Franklin, and PJ Fleck. We’re in year 7 of Franklin’s career with Penn State, and he has 1 conference title. This year, they’ve started off 0-3. In year 4 of Fleck’s tenure (which is the year they always say is key as you’ve recruited almost the whole football team), they’ve started out 1-2 with losses to Michigan and Maryland. At the time of this post, they are losing to Iowa 14-0. Last year, there were multiple somebodies on this board that were completely sure both of these coaches would be upgrades from Gus. If we are going to part ways with Malzahn, it has to be an airtight hire that won’t clash with the Auburn fan culture. Right now, I don’t know if there is that kind of a person out there. And, statistically given our record historically, there’s a better chance we’d hire someone worse than someone better.

I've been rather reluctant to think about firing Gus, but this is reaching. I'm willing to give Gus another year because of the circumstances of this season and who his offensive coordinator is, but if we don't see a different animal on the field than we have by next year, it's time to move on, whether there's a home run hire out there or not. I still think Cristobal is the best choice if Gus doesn't right the ship. He isn't a proven commodity, but there just aren't many proven commodities out there, ever, because most of the time they stay at the place they prove themselves. Therefore, the best place to find a program shaping hire is from those who have potential but haven't yet proven themselves. If they don't do anything worthwhile within 4 years, try again.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Cristobal. Haven't thought seriously about who'd I like to be next if the job becomes available.

One thing Cristobal will have to solve: beat Saban. No coach under the Saban tree has ever beaten him as a head coach.  Makes you wonder if that was a clause in their previous contracts lol. 

34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Uh, yeah. He said he thinks we should give Gus a year or two, but IF NOT (as in, if we don't give him another year or two), he wants Hugh Freeze.

Doh!  Reading comprehension is b-word!

5 hours ago, The Freak said:

This one?

That is what I was responding to.  You can't do both.  Hugh Freeze will be at a power 5 school next year.  This is the year to get him if you can.

You're reading what you want to see. Second sentence: "And if not..." 

What does "And if not..." refer to?

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Uh, yeah. He said he thinks we should give Gus a year or two, but IF NOT (as in, if we don't give him another year or two), he wants Hugh Freeze.

That's it. Thanks! :)

I wonder if someone will eventually offer Tom Allen of Indiana something bigger. They went toe to toe with a very good tOSU team today.

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

I wonder if someone will eventually offer Tom Allen of Indiana something bigger. They went toe to toe with a very good tOSU team today.

Michigan should but they won’t 

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Why not?

Their boosters are as dumb/backwards as ours. Harbaugh is a “Michigan Man” and all that jazz. 

They need to see Harbaugh lose 9 straight to tOSU before they make a move lol

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Did anyone watch the Cincinnati / UCF game? Luke Fickell called a great game. Cincinnati beats UCF 36-33.

He’d be my third call after Urban Meyer and Cristobal. He’s gonna get a good gig soon either way I’m sure. 

On 11/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, Zeek said:

It'll be interesting who and when South Carolina makes a choice 

I think Napier is their first choice but I think he turns them down and holds out for better jobs next season. (I.E. US! lol) and this is who they get. 

sdadas.jpg

I feel like the answer is so blatantly obvious in Bill Clark. And that's probably why it won't be him. You just don't do what he's done at UAB without being an outrageously good coach. 

Given that it’s Auburn.....if we were to fire Gus our list would be: 1) Muschamp 2) Lashlee 3) Harbaugh when he is fired by Michigan 

We’d probably also put out feelers to Spurrier, Bob Stoops, and Jeff Fischer. Maybe Bill Cowher

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Napier is their first choice but I think he turns them down and holds out for better jobs next season. (I.E. US! lol) and this is who they get. 

sdadas.jpg

Well, he did beat Napier.

21 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Well, he did beat Napier.

Lol bruhhh what are we doing here!??! Come on now!! This isn't you!! You are better then this response!!! Hahahaha. But nah for real Coastal Carolina coach has a little to much one season wonder and flavor of the month vibe to him for now. This would be his first winning season at coastal Carolina. Napier and The rajun cajuns spanked them 48-7 last year. 

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Given that it’s Auburn.....if we were to fire Gus our list would be: 1) Muschamp 2) Lashlee 3) Harbaugh when he is fired by Michigan 

We’d probably also put out feelers to Spurrier, Bob Stoops, and Jeff Fischer. Maybe Bill Cowher

Don’t forget Jon Gruden. Gotta have his name to a list or it’s just not complete. 

After a scrappy job of coaching every year, AU fans say their willing to give him another. Good grief, how many free passes will the fans keep giving Malzahn until you finally say enough is freakin enough.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

After a scrappy job of coaching every year, AU fans say their willing to give him another. Good grief, how many free passes will the fans keep giving Malzahn until you finally say enough is freakin enough.

"We'll give him just one more year."

-The PTB (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020)

14 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

"We'll give him just one more year."

-The PTB (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020)

If not for Rona, I’m confident this would’ve been his last year.

I think with Dabo Swinney and Sam Pittman they are proof that 1. you do not need a proven HC and 2 you do not need a proven coordinator.

10 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I think with Dabo Swinney and Sam Pittman they are proof that 1. you do not need a proven HC and 2 you do not need a proven coordinator.

Maybe it’s just me but I feel this is more the exception than the rule. Anything’s possible but I’d rather see some results before I hand the keys over to someone. 

Archived