• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not a bargain shopper? 

I would want a good value. He just sux!

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

DCE59B9F-5851-4279-9AC9-8884DA0CE481.gif

Not even sure what he’s doing now, but nah!

On 12/8/2020 at 11:30 AM, Mike4AU said:

Shaw is from Cali and an alumnus of Stanford where he played multiple sports.  I do agree that he is a good coach, but I suspect our chances of getting him are slim to none with the emphasis on none. 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:37 AM, DAG said:

I like David Shaw but he has said plenty his wife runs that show and she loves Palo Alto lol..soo

On 12/8/2020 at 11:28 AM, AU_Twisterman said:

He is a solid coach, but he isn't going to leave his alma mater and the area he has lived most of his life to come to AU.

My comments are hopeful, wistful and facetious.  No, DS isn't coming to AU.  His gig is one that most coaches dream of having.  What is important about my DS comments is that he is the type of candidate that AU should be considering and will hire, not the names of wannabees that have been mentioned.  His program has consistent success on/off the field.  AU football is one of the top programs in America and deserves a comparable coach, who has the bona fides of consistent success as a hc, not one who has had limited success.  AU should NEVER be considering coordinators at all  They don't have the skill set of having managed a team and those dynamics.  This is why Chizik and Malzahn failed.  They couldn't successfully manage the AU program.

If AU is going to succeed consistently, then the program needs a hc who has had that experience.  You don't hire an intern to do the job of a surgeon, otherwise you're buying a pig in a poke.  You hire the candidate who actually has the credentials as a hc.  To succeed against Saban or KS or Mullen will require hiring the best, the very best and none of the names mentioned is even in the league of what AU needs, otherwise, you should prepare for continued frustration.

AU has the money to hire such a coach......including DS or Urban Meyer or even Bob Stoops.  We've paid among the best on the front end to have a good coach but on the back end we've PAID THE MOST of all universities.  With Chizik's salary and his departing gift we paid more than Saban's salary.  With Malzahn's salary and departing gift we've paid the most in the history of college football to the tune of $42 million for 3 mediocre seasons.  That averages out to $14 million per season.  Saban is paid $9.1 million, Fisher is paid a $75 million contract over 10 seasons.

Instead of paying 10's of millions of dollars to make coaches go away, how about paying 10's of millions for top talent to actually stay and stop being the butt of ESPN for not having business sense.

None of these candidates should be hire by AU: 

• Hugh Freeze......a cheat on his wife and cost his program 30+ wins.  He'll never coach in the SEC again
  • Steve Sarkisian.......has had less success than Malzahn and he's an alcoholic.  Why would you want more of the same ?  Not on your life should he come to AU.
  • Matt Campbell.....same mediocre success as Malzahn
  • Luke Fickell......a step in the right direction but not successful enough
  • Joe Brady (not coming down to college but make him say no)....seriously ?
  • Brent Venables.......he's never been a hc.  He would be another uncertainty
  • Tony Elliott.......not worth a response
  • Josh Huepel........not enough experience as a hc
  • PJ Fleck......mediocre 
  • Mario Cristobal.....another Lane Kiffen resume', at best a B minus in quality
  • Napier.......he has limited experience.  NO.

Serious candidates: Chris Petersen (he left his future open), Gundy (they lowered his salary by $1 million, time to leave)

I'll end my comments with this.  Would a coach like David Shaw consider coming to AU if he were paid $14 million per season like we just did with Malzahn ?  Maybe, maybe not, but a high-quality candidate would step forward, a person with multiple years of success.  When you're paying $14 million/season for a problem to go away, then the coach isn't the problem, it's the people doing the hiring and their list of candidates.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:06 PM, GwillMac6 said:

WE AGREE?!?!?! OMGSH!!!! THERE GOES MIKEY!!!!! OMGSH!!!!! MIKEY IS GOING TO WIN THE MESSAGE BOARD GAME!!!!!!!! lol

Bruh, don't be fooled by backups running prevent D late in the 4th and passing numbers getting inflated. Our boy is just trying to make the score look respectable and we're already resting up for next week. 

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I want Kevin Steele as our DC NOT HC.

Do you believe Steele would want to come back if he is passed over for the HC?

On 12/12/2020 at 7:49 PM, BizTiger said:

What about Charlie Strong?

what about Charlie Brown

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

After watching them tonight I am even more sure it needs to be Kiffen.  If we had his offense and Steele’s defense it would be hard to beat.  

Steele can kick rocks

On 12/16/2020 at 5:57 AM, Elephant Tipper said:

My comments are hopeful, wistful and facetious.  No, DS isn't coming to AU.  His gig is one that most coaches dream of having.  What is important about my DS comments is that he is the type of candidate that AU should be considering and will hire, not the names of wannabees that have been mentioned.  His program has consistent success on/off the field.  AU football is one of the top programs in America and deserves a comparable coach, who has the bona fides of consistent success as a hc, not one who has had limited success.  AU should NEVER be considering coordinators at all  They don't have the skill set of having managed a team and those dynamics.  This is why Chizik and Malzahn failed.  They couldn't successfully manage the AU program.

If AU is going to succeed consistently, then the program needs a hc who has had that experience.  You don't hire an intern to do the job of a surgeon, otherwise you're buying a pig in a poke.  You hire the candidate who actually has the credentials as a hc.  To succeed against Saban or KS or Mullen will require hiring the best, the very best and none of the names mentioned is even in the league of what AU needs, otherwise, you should prepare for continued frustration.

AU has the money to hire such a coach......including DS or Urban Meyer or even Bob Stoops.  We've paid among the best on the front end to have a good coach but on the back end we've PAID THE MOST of all universities.  With Chizik's salary and his departing gift we paid more than Saban's salary.  With Malzahn's salary and departing gift we've paid the most in the history of college football to the tune of $42 million for 3 mediocre seasons.  That averages out to $14 million per season.  Saban is paid $9.1 million, Fisher is paid a $75 million contract over 10 seasons.

Instead of paying 10's of millions of dollars to make coaches go away, how about paying 10's of millions for top talent to actually stay and stop being the butt of ESPN for not having business sense.

• Hugh Freeze......a cheat on his wife and cost his program 30+ wins.  He'll never coach in the SEC again
  • Steve Sarkisian.......has had less success than Malzahn and he's an alcoholic.  Why would you want more of the same ?  Not on your life should he come to AU.
  • PJ Fleck......mediocre 

Serious candidates: Chris Petersen (he left his future open), Gundy (they lowered his salary by $1 million, time to leave)

I'll end my comments with this.  Would a coach like David Shaw consider coming to AU if he were paid $14 million per season like we just did with Malzahn ?  Maybe, maybe not, but a high-quality candidate would step forward, a person with multiple years of success.  When you're paying $14 million/season for a problem to go away, then the coach isn't the problem, it's the people doing the hiring and their list of candidates.

image.gif

AU will be wise to hire Tony Elliott ASAP.  He is the gold standard of assistant coaches and will be a most successful head coach at Auburn.  If Coach Elliott is a firm no then Coach Luke Fickell is the best alternative.  

1.  TONY ELLIOTT

2. Luke Fickell

On 12/16/2020 at 5:57 AM, Elephant Tipper said:

• PJ Fleck......mediocre 

I've been wanting us to hire Chris Peterson for a long time.

Archived