How well do masks actually work as it relates to the spread of Covid-19?

SocialCircle

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

At worst it would amount to a half measure, but a half measure is better than no measure. They help. 

Guess this is a good time to repeat that I work in healthcare and am well versed in aseptic technique and universal precautions. 

Do you change your mask regularly? Touch it? Re- use it for days or weeks without washing? Are you expected to don it for a consecutive 9-11 hours with exception of eating or drinking?  I bet you don’t. My understanding of mask use in medical professions is very different than what the rest of the world is doing.  Most non medical people are not disciplined enough to use it correctly. And prior to the pandemic only used them in certain interactions with patients ( like surgeries) and disposed of them immediately with gloves and washed hands immediately. We are not supplied with enough to use them correctly and we are not scared enough of this virus which is not as deadly or severe as it is being reported. 
   I’m not complaining. I comply. It’s aggravating and inconvenient but not disabling. In my work environment I don’t think it’s worth the effort. It’s probably counterproductive to its intended purpose. 
     Football teams wearing them on the sideline after slobbering all over each other on the field is beyond ridiculous. It’s somewhat indicative of how the manufacturing industry is working. It’s not a serious gesture at all. It’s a dog and pony show. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Do you change your mask regularly? Touch it? Re- use it for days or weeks without washing? Are you expected to don it for a consecutive 9-11 hours with exception of eating or drinking?  I bet you don’t. My understanding of mask use in medical professions is very different than what the rest of the world is doing.  Most non medical people are not disciplined enough to use it correctly. And prior to the pandemic only used them in certain interactions with patients ( like surgeries) and disposed of them immediately with gloves and washed hands immediately. We are not supplied with enough to use them correctly and we are not scared enough of this virus which is not as deadly or severe as it is being reported. 
   I’m not complaining. I comply. It’s aggravating and inconvenient but not disabling. In my work environment I don’t think it’s worth the effort. It’s probably counterproductive to its intended purpose. 
     Football teams wearing them on the sideline after slobbering all over each other on the field is beyond ridiculous. It’s somewhat indicative of how the manufacturing industry is working. It’s not a serious gesture at all. It’s a dog and pony show. 

I don't work in an environment where I'm constantly in close proximity to other people.  So the likelihood that my mask is saturated with viral particles is pretty low.  But I have 4-5 masks that are washable I rotate them during the week.  If I have to wear one a lot that day or am around others more than usual, I change.  I wash them at the end of the week.  I generally avoid touching it and if I do, I then use hand sanitizer or wash my hands.

Plus, we need to understand this isn't an all or nothing endeavor.  It's not "if you can't do it just like ICU nurses do it, it's worthless."  It's about reducing exposure to viral load.  In that regard, the masks even worn imperfectly or on the sidelines help.  

19 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Plus, we need to understand this isn't an all or nothing endeavor.  It's not "if you can't do it just like ICU nurses do it, it's worthless."  It's about reducing exposure to viral load.  In that regard, the masks even worn imperfectly or on the sidelines help.  

Truly beyond comprehension that this would be, well, beyond comprehension to even the stupidest among us. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Truly beyond comprehension that this would be, well, beyond comprehension to even the stupidest among us. 

They are obviously taking their direction from Trump, as stupid people are likely to do.  :no:

Trump suggests he’ll fire Fauci ‘a little bit after the election’

........."The packed crowd at a South Florida airport erupted into a chant early Monday: “Fire Fauci! Fire Fauci!”

President Trump let the chorus grow louder for almost 20 seconds, turning to both sides as if pondering the request that he dismiss Anthony S. Fauci, the country’s leading infectious-disease expert. Finally, he responded.

“Don’t tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election,” Trump said, his supporters cheering almost immediately. “I appreciate the advice."..........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/02/trump-fauci-suggests-firing-election/

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

They are obviously taking their direction from Trump, as stupid people are likely to do.  :no:

Trump suggests he’ll fire Fauci ‘a little bit after the election’

........."The packed crowd at a South Florida airport erupted into a chant early Monday: “Fire Fauci! Fire Fauci!”

President Trump let the chorus grow louder for almost 20 seconds, turning to both sides as if pondering the request that he dismiss Anthony S. Fauci, the country’s leading infectious-disease expert. Finally, he responded.

“Don’t tell anybody, but let me wait until a little bit after the election,” Trump said, his supporters cheering almost immediately. “I appreciate the advice."..........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/02/trump-fauci-suggests-firing-election/

On their knees for this guy.

Shooting Terry Crews GIF by Idiocracy - Find & Share on GIPHY

Archived