Is Auburn settling for mediocrity worth the price?

aubiefifty

al.com

By Joseph Goodman | jgoodman@al.com

5-7 minutes

Auburn football, after Saturday’s thoroughly predictable 31-20 loss to Texas A&M, is starting to feel a lot like that beat up and tired old truck out in the driveway.

That truck is part of the family, and family is the most important thing, but your dog probably loves that truck more than you do at this point. Dogs, man. So loyal, right? They’re the best.

The truck, though. It’s not the best anymore. It’s more like third- or fourth-best at this point behind some other trucks that you absolutely hate.

What to do? Truck envy will drive any honest man crazy.

The truck is still in decent shape despite the mileage. The engine isn’t the best anymore, and the shocks are gone, and maybe the paint is starting to fade, but that truck is yours. No more payments. Just fuel and maintenance at this point, and gas prices are so low right now.

That truck has gotten you out of plenty of jams through the years, and some of them you can’t even really begin to explain. Just had to be there. Lotta memories — good times and pain. Hauled a lot of rocks and stuff, if you know what I’m saying. Helped plenty of people move away, too.

The truck still works hard, and that’s why you’re still holding on.

But the oil.

The truck just won’t stop leaking oil, and it’s a problem. It’s not like one of those leaks where you can just keep adding a little every month or so. No, the old and tired truck probably needs a complete engine rebuild. Buy now, or buy later. That’s what your older brother told you.

The new trucks out there are so efficient, too. And shiny. Some of the really new ones are even — gulp — electric.

In this weird season of football during a pandemic, there have been winners in the SEC and there have been losers. And then there’s Auburn (5-4). Not dead by any means. Not even awful. Most certainly, though, there is nothing electric about these Tigers.

RELATED: Inconsistent play the story for Bo Nix against Texas A&M

RELATED: Auburn suffers total defensive letdown against Texas A&M

It’s just sitting there in the driveway, leaking oil, waiting for a new engine, and who really wants a new truck payment in these unpredictable times?

At what point, though, is Auburn’s mediocrity going to start affecting the bottom line? Is the old truck worth the price to always keep fixing it? These are the things people at Auburn should be asking themselves behind the scenes. Never mind Alabama and Georgia, is Auburn ever going to catch Texas A&M again?

It’s probably wise to view this college football season of the bizarre with a patient and sensible perspective, but this is the SEC. South Carolina fired its coach weeks ago despite the Gamecocks’ first win against Auburn since 1933. I might also add that South Carolina beat Georgia last year, too. Auburn hasn’t done that since 2017.

Here’s where Auburn football is at this moment, in the words of coach Gus Malzahn: “Our guys played hard, but we just didn’t get it done.”

Auburn didn’t allow any turnovers, and only committed one penalty. Texas A&M even missed an easy, chip-shot field goal in the first half that should have been a touchdown. A good team wins that game at home, but Texas A&M just had better players on the field.

That’s Auburn with one game left in quarterback Bo Nix’s sophomore season. Just not good enough even on a good day. The Tigers are third in the SEC West, got lucky against Arkansas and Ole Miss and probably should take care of Mississippi State next week, but it’s really anyone’s guess at this point.

Auburn’s defense allowed 509 yards of offense to Texas A&M, and the defensive line was pushed around the field from beginning to end. Auburn’s offense only managed 340 yards despite having freshman running back Tank Bigsby available and even with Nix scrambling for 49 yards and two touchdowns.

“We couldn’t stop the run,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “We couldn’t get them off the field and they kept the ball. Offensively, I thought we got some good rhythm in the second and third quarter, the run, and the pass.”

RELATED: What Gus Malzahn said after Auburn’s loss to Texas A&M

The Aggies rushed for 313 yards on Pat Dye Field to deliver coach Jimbo Fisher’s first victory against Auburn. Those numbers will make anyone question the direction of this team.

Texas A&M is ranked No.5 by the College Football Playoff committee, but the Aggies (7-1) were not some unbeatable squad inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. In the fourth quarter, though, it was clear that Auburn had absolutely no chance of coming from behind on its home field.

Auburn’s offense, led by Nix, was in a position to be special. Instead, it was on the field in the fourth quarter quicker than a cough in church. For the game, Nix completed 15 of 23 passes for 144 yards, and just couldn’t throw the ball downfield with any consistency or confidence.

An old truck misfires every now and then. That’s what you keep telling yourself. It just needs a little tinkering, and soon it will be good as new.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group. He’s on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

Yall, somebody needs to come out and admit that Alabama Football is a cheating machine.  There is no competition for Alabama this year and its not luck.  They are destroyiing every team they play.  Please somebody in the press needs to investigate the program because this is not good for college athletics.

Love to see a grown man whining like a little beyatch so really enjoyed seeing JKMACTION's little suckfest post.  One can always tell the losers in life, they try to justify their pathetic wretched lives by accusing the successful of wrongdoing. Great job Maction

1 hour ago, 9956KJMaction said:

Yall, somebody needs to come out and admit that Alabama Football is a cheating machine.  There is no competition for Alabama this year and its not luck.  They are destroyiing every team they play.  Please somebody in the press needs to investigate the program because this is not good for college athletics.

This is what you've got?  Seriously?  Yeah, let's not worry that our program is going to shambles.  We've got to get Bama!  JFC I will never understand the little man complex that Auburn fans have.

You're right about one thing though.  It's not luck.  They are good because of the culture they've built under Saban.  He did the same thing at LSU in case you forgot.

They're not cheating any more than we are.  Know why the best players keep going there?  It's because they send a ridiculous amount of players to the NFL.

Come on, this is such a tired Auburn fan excuse. Alabama is a premier program. They absolutely have competition this year. Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida, and tOSU have the horses to beat Alabama. 

Everyone thought Bama was untouchable in 2018 and what happened? They got stomped by Clemson in the NCG. 

Bama has been seriously tested only once this year and they had to score 63 points to beat Ole Miss (!). They’ve improved since then, but we should all know it’s never over until the final whistle of the title game. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

al.com

How much time is left on his contract.  

One of the softest things I read all morning 

This year is ground hog day all over again. Without the out of conference schedule, we can now focus on how we stand with the conference. Again we are middle of the pack. In fact we were quite lucky to have won the Kentucky and Arkansas games. On par, we probably are the 6th to 8th best team in the conference. We simply do not keep and develop players. At QB we sacrifice all to make Nix a star. What have we done to develop him? At present he is the best backyard player around. Have we even tried to develop a backup? At OL it appears we have a real coach who is making progress with the material he has. Like I said ground hog day again. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is what you've got?  Seriously?  Yeah, let's not worry that our program is going to shambles.  We've got to get Bama!  JFC I will never understand the little man complex that Auburn fans have.

You're right about one thing though.  It's not luck.  They are good because of the culture they've built under Saban.  He did the same thing at LSU in case you forgot.

They're not cheating any more than we are.  Know why the best players keep going there?  It's because they send a ridiculous amount of players to the NFL.

These are the same people who will, with a straight face, turn down Saban if he wanted to come to Auburn to coach. They think he's evil incarnate because he whoops everybody's ass and wins championship after championship after championship. My life isn't spent obsessing over a coach of a rival so he might be the worst thing in the world but from the little I care to know about him, he is a damn fine football coach who wins and people don't like him because of that. I would love to have a Nick Saban type guy running this team. Then, maybe, we won't lose 4+ games every year.

3 hours ago, 9956KJMaction said:

THIS is what I'm sick of! Blaming other programs for being so good and NOT blaming our own administration for being mediocre. Do the Bamas and UGAs and Clemsons and OSUs "cheat"?... HELLZ YEAH but not anymore than AU does. Our problem is and has always been consistency. Sick and tired of these lightning in a bottle seasons every 4-5 years.

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

So why is Alabama beating everybody in the SEC like a drum?  Its not just Auburn, its everybody.  Not just winning by a lucky play, but seriously winning by dominating.  The ole miss game was really not close, they always could score another TD when they wanted.  Yall are blind to what is going on.

22 hours ago, DAG said:

One of the softest things I read all morning 

WTH does that mean?  Bama is beating everybody, not just Auburn.  Everybody in the SEC.  Why?  Because they get the elite athletes.  Not just above average athletes, they get the elite.  How do they get the elite?  Why do they stay for senior year when they could get $miilions in the NFL?  Tell me the answer Mr. genius.  

23 hours ago, woodford said:

Come on, this is such a tired Auburn fan excuse. Alabama is a premier program. They absolutely have competition this year. Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida, and tOSU have the horses to beat Alabama. 

Everyone thought Bama was untouchable in 2018 and what happened? They got stomped by Clemson in the NCG. 

Bama has been seriously tested only once this year and they had to score 63 points to beat Ole Miss (!). They’ve improved since then, but we should all know it’s never over until the final whistle of the title game. 

So the entire SEC is not up to the level of Alabama?  How the hell?  Tell me that?  You forget Alabama destroyed ND and also Texas in playoff and NC games.  Maybe Clemson can hang, but i doubt it.  

5 minutes ago, 9956KJMaction said:

WTH does that mean?  Bama is beating everybody, not just Auburn.  Everybody in the SEC.  Why?  Because they get the elite athletes.  Not just above average athletes, they get the elite.  How do they get the elite?  Why do they stay for senior year when they could get $miilions in the NFL?  Tell me the answer Mr. genius.  

It means pick your big boy pants up and stop whining about Bama. Did you whine about them last year when we beat them? You are making yourself look silly. We don't want to hear any of this BS you are spewing. They win because they have an actual coach who goes for the best, hires the best recruiters (Despite perception) and not just okay going 6-4 or beating Arkansas.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It means pick your big boy pants up and stop whining about Bama. Did you whine about them last year when we beat them? You are making yourself look silly. We don't want to hear any of this BS you are spewing. They win because they have an actual coach who goes for the best, hires the best recruiters (Despite perception) and not just okay going 6-4 or beating Arkansas.

Its not BS.  Real journalist have asked the question as well.  http://buckeyesnews.net/cheating-in-college-football-recruiting-an-op-ed/

Mediocrity is a myth in the SEC West...you’re either headed up or headed down.  We can’t shoot for 8-4 and expect to stay 8-4.  Gus is shooting for 12-0, but hitting 8-4ish pretty consistently.  Imagine what that record will look like with no resources and talent. Now imagine trying to hire a new coach with no resources and talent...we’ll have to find a lesser name willing to break in big in the league.  The longer this goes the bigger the coaching hire gamble gets.  No established coach wants to walk into a dumpster fire.

30 minutes ago, 9956KJMaction said:

So the entire SEC is not up to the level of Alabama?  How the hell?  Tell me that?  You forget Alabama destroyed ND and also Texas in playoff and NC games.  Maybe Clemson can hang, but i doubt it.  

What? Lol you’re presenting examples from 8 and 11 years ago. I don’t think I want to “argue” with someone who supports trust busting CFB programs and after your posts because I don’t feel like losing brain cells

Alabama “destroyed” a Texas in 09, that played almost the entire game with a true frosh QB. Context is everything. 

45 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Mediocrity is a myth in the SEC West...you’re either headed up or headed down.  We can’t shoot for 8-4 and expect to stay 8-4.  Gus is shooting for 12-0, but hitting 8-4ish pretty consistently.  Imagine what that record will look like with no resources and talent. Now imagine trying to hire a new coach with no resources and talent...we’ll have to find a lesser name willing to break in big in the league.  The longer this goes the bigger the coaching hire gamble gets.  No established coach wants to walk into a dumpster fire.

Sark is the upside to a new coach. He has been there and done that as a HC...AU can start him off a lower salary and give Sark an opportunity at redemption like we did with BP. The man is an outstanding coach and his offense will draw talent from everywhere....win/won situation

2 hours ago, 9956KJMaction said:

So why is Alabama beating everybody in the SEC like a drum?  Its not just Auburn, its everybody.  Not just winning by a lucky play, but seriously winning by dominating.  The ole miss game was really not close, they always could score another TD when they wanted.  Yall are blind to what is going on.

Because:

1) They have the best coach in college football history on the sidelines.

2) They run a more complicated scheme than pretty much everyone in college football.

3) They've built a culture that is proven over the last 12 years to win championships and put loads of dudes in the NFL. 

Guess what happens when you do those things?  The absolute best players want to play for you.  Get enough of em and yeah, you'll beat the crap out everyone.

2 hours ago, 9956KJMaction said:

WTH does that mean?

It means that your original post is composed of the thought process suggesting you may be giant, gaping p****.

Simple enough?

On 12/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, 9956KJMaction said:

Well, Your future post can only go uphill from here my friend. 

3 hours ago, 9956KJMaction said:

So I take it you do not pay attention to recruiting. They recruit better than nearly everyone. They get 18-25 guys that they want...Period. They pretty much can pick their team from the talent available. They send tons of players to NFL. The guys that do stay for their SR season, it is usually because they have an opportunity to repeat or 3 peat. GTHOH with that nonsense, man.  

They have a coach that is a proven winner and they gave him full control of the program. We have a BOT and PTB that want a puppet on a string. Saban hires the best staff around him and adapts when the game changes. We hire yes men for staff and die by the sword who's edge is long been dull. 

It isn't rocket surgery as to why Bama is beating the snot out of everyone.

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I certainly don't think we are a dumpster fire. Gus has had us competitive pretty much for all these years. Yes, he has had trouble w/ GA no matter where we play now, but he has held his own with Alabama and LSU at home. 

But saying all this, I do like Sark a lot too, bc of hos offensive schemes, and he knows how to be a HC. 

The problem I see with someone like him, or other established coaches we go after is that what I expect will happen is they will agree to interview, knowing in the back of their mind, they are only trying to get a bigger raise at their current school, which will work, ala how Gus did it back in 2017.

We will end up going to tier 2 coaches then...and then we are rolling the dice even more with worse odds of being successful. 

Archived