Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

Latest rumor is that Clark has also turned us down

I haven't been wanting Clark but if there's truth to the lack of control over their staff, kudos to him if he does say no.  No coach other than one just looking for a quick payday, or exit from a bad situation, is going to agree to those terms.  Whoever does IMO doesn't have what it takes to be a winner.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think they fired Gus with money that had been raised by the boosters. But nobody wants to front the staff buyouts and he doesn’t want to pay for it with athletic department money, since they are struggling to keep people employed with the pandemic stuff. That’s my theory at least.

^ this! Had enough ammo for the firing, but the backfill was supposed to be Steele, requiring cash that would have been in budget. Buyout for additional staff wasnt part of the (idiotic) plan. Hope the problem is just egos vs such fiscal incompetence. 

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

I don’t know what to believe at the moment 

Well, you know if the committee, AD, Pres, or anyone actually made a statement every now and then...I mean it's not like we are competing against all these other schools for these coaches.

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

People were actually very excited about Napier. Don’t try and turn this around on the fans. We’ve thrown ourselves behind every half decent person who name has been brought up. 

I would HAPPILY take Napier or Venables.

image.gif

2 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Well, you know if the committee, AD, Pres, or anyone actually made a statement every now and then...

Who will be the first Auburn official to show face 😂 bless him

At this point I think the only way Auburn can come out of all this smelling like a rose is to call Hugh Freeze and/or Lane Kiffin and offer them the job with no strings attached.   Give them complete control of all staffing and personnel decisions, a healthy budget for staff and a salary in the top 5 in the SEC.  

I have so much respect for Napier and Clark (if it is true that Clark said no) to not take this job and be handcuffed by the boosters.. good for them.. not sure they can get anyone to take the job.. and that sets up nicely for Steele.. 

1 minute ago, dilligas said:

At this point I think the only way Auburn can come out of all this smelling like a rose is to call Hugh Freeze and/or Lane Kiffin and offer them the job with no strings attached.   Give them complete control of all staffing and personnel decisions, a healthy budget for staff and a salary in the top 5 in the SEC.  

Sounds like a great and logical plan, It’ll never happen ....

1 minute ago, dilligas said:

I'd reboot and send a new ambassador, tail between legs, to extend the same offer to MC and Napier first.

19 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

But you acknowledge that there was a risk...so it’s his decision to play. 

if you’re a frontline worker, I have to question your perception of reality. 

i am so angry about your take that I can’t see straight. 
‘72 is fighting for his life. KG just lost his. 
read the room. This isn’t the topic to be discussing now anyway. 

Out of reactions so I’ll just have to say I couldn’t agree with PTB more. Spot on post.

Apparently we have a bunch of selfish children running the show. I’m beyond mad, I’m actually sad, disappointed and embarrassed by this whole fiasco. I’ve lived through a bunch of losses and highs and lows that one endures as a lifetime AU man, but this is different. This is a new low and I can’t believe I’m even typing that. Wow. 

823E21B8-7EA4-4239-B677-66DE4F7A5791.gif

Dude, at a certain point it’s going to become the thing to do to turn down an Auburn HC offer. They probably just all think, hey let’s all just say no and then we don’t have to worry about recruiting against  Auburn anymore 

5 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I absolutely was not gonna be happy if/when Clark became coach but I was going to give him a chance...

If it’s Steele, I’m out...

It might have to be Steele at this point. These coaches ain’t even allowed to pick their own assistants. Nobody wants to be apart of that. That’s why everybody keeps turning the job down 

Just now, NoALtiger said:

Apparently we have a bunch of selfish children running the show. I’m beyond mad, I’m actually sad, disappointed and embarrassed by this whole fiasco. I’ve lived through a bunch of losses and highs and lows that one ensures as a lifetime AU man but this is different. This is a new low and I can’t believe I’m even tying that.  

Didn't think they could make me care less about the program. They are definitely pushing the envelope

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They need to remove the limit for reactions for the rest of this search. I’m speeding through dislikes 

Out of likes but I quoted you

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

Apparently we have a bunch of selfish children running the show. I’m beyond mad, I’m actually sad, disappointed and embarrassed by this whole fiasco. I’ve lived through a bunch of losses and highs and lows that one ensures as a lifetime AU man but this is different. This is a new low and I can’t believe I’m even tying that.  

Love the gif

Archived