Anyone else besides Mario and for goodness sake’s Steele ?

eagle12

Heck there has to be more interesting coaching candidates than this ? Please let this be a lesson and bring Gus back if they can’t do better than coach Steele. 

It appears that they're the only two who have gotten any traction. Some said early on that Hugh Freeze was the obvious choice, but there have been no reports since.

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Napier. And he is a very good coach.

If Ole Miss could land Kiffin, we should be able to land Napier. We are not the hopeless backwater directional dead end of a wasteland that needs to settle for Steele that I know some people here automatically see us as because of who our rivals are.

4 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Lane Train 

Just... Eww. I've never seen more love given to a coach who had 3 good quarters against Bama when we just fired a coach with 3 whole wins.

I hate, hate, hate all the postulation that we need THAT offense at Auburn when Lane Kiffen has failed to prove he can elevate a team above their respective power 5 competition.

Lane is in the perfect spot right now where consistent 8-9 wins should position him to take another blue-blood gig. Like Dan Mullen, he doesn't need to beat Bama and LSU/Georgia/Florida in order to prove his worth due to the inherent recruiting disadvantages. At Auburn the expectation is to beat Bama, LSU, A&M, and Georgia on a regular basis and while I do believe he's a great play caller we need a program leader. And I don't see that in Lane Kiffen yet unlike say Napier, or Cristobal, or Fickell...

4 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Just... Eww. I've never seen more love given to a coach who had 3 good quarters against Bama when we just fired a coach with 3 whole wins.

I hate, hate, hate all the postulation that we need THAT offense at Auburn when Lane Kiffen has failed to prove he can elevate a team above their respective power 5 competition.

Lane is in the perfect spot right now where consistent 8-9 wins should position him to take another blue-blood gig. Like Dan Mullen, he doesn't need to beat Bama and LSU/Georgia/Florida in order to prove his worth due to the inherent recruiting disadvantages. At Auburn the expectation is to beat Bama, LSU, A&M, and Georgia on a regular basis and while I do believe he's a great play caller we need a program leader. And I don't see that in Lane Kiffen yet unlike say Napier, or Cristobal, or Fickell...

Not basing it off that game. It’s his ability to coach offense and quarterbacks for me. Currently leading the nation, and SEC. Not to mention he can recruit. His offense with Steele’s defense could be pretty good in my opinion. Also he will have greater access to talent at Auburn. 

26 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Not basing it off that game. It’s his ability to coach offense and quarterbacks for me. Currently leading the nation, and SEC. Not to mention he can recruit. His offense with Steele’s defense could be pretty good in my opinion. Also he will have greater access to talent at Auburn. 

All true I wouldn’t count him out.  He also aggravates Saban which is a plus for an Auburn coach.  

I'm learning some things that make more accepting of anybody that takes the job. Gus had gotten kind of paranoid, apparently and was causing issues with the other coaches. Pretty toxic situation from what I glean. WDE should be able to confirm this, maybe a few more, if true

8 minutes ago, chizhead said:

I'm learning some things that make more accepting of anybody that takes the job. Gus had gotten kind of paranoid, apparently and was causing issues with the other coaches. Pretty toxic situation from what I glean. WDE should be able to confirm this, maybe a few more, if true

The paranoia seems to be an Auburn thing, Tuberville and Bowden got the same way to different degrees.  Happens when folks are after your job for years.  They don't know who they can trust.

Is there more you're hearing?

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The paranoia seems to be an Auburn thing, Tuberville and Bowden got the same way to different degrees.  Happens when folks are after your job for years.  They don't know who they can trust.

Ha it’s like being a Mob boss. 

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

It's different with Gus. Like... he's really, really weird about it. And it's why he's unemployed. He literally doesn't trust anyone but himself, and he doesn't want to entertain any ideas or philosophies that he didn't already have in his head when he got here. It's why the beat writers have been miserable all these years, why his offense hasn't evolved *at all* across many years and OCs, why his receivers only get to run a couple routes, why his OL coaches have been limited in which linemen they were allowed to recruit, why Gus doesn't talk to other coaches to learn how they do things...

He's got an incredibly strong, unflappable moral center from which he does not deviate. Unfortunately, he views coaching the game the same way. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's different with Gus. Like... he's really, really weird about it. And it's why he's unemployed. He literally doesn't trust anyone but himself, and he doesn't want to entertain any ideas or philosophies that he didn't already have in his head when he got here. It's why the beat writers have been miserable all these years, why his offense hasn't evolved *at all* across many years and OCs, why his receivers only get to run a couple routes, why his OL coaches have been limited in which linemen they were allowed to recruit, why Gus doesn't talk to other coaches to learn how they do things...

He's got an incredibly strong, unflappable moral center from which he does not deviate. Unfortunately, he views coaching the game the same way. 

Yeah, I think that I understand why D. Craig left better. I am just reading other web sites and kinda' gleaning things here and there. I just didn't have any idea that it was as bad as it got

All head coaches say the sane thing. I don't believe what he told those Oregon fans. Cause if it falls through, he still has his Duck gig. But if things do work out, he'll leave the Ducks to become an Auburn Tiger.

1 hour ago, chizhead said:

Yeah, I think that I understand why D. Craig left better. I am just reading other web sites and kinda' gleaning things here and there. I just didn't have any idea that it was as bad as it got

It's been that way for a long while.  We've all posted his odd tendencies and picadillo's on here for years along with his bone-headed stubbornness.  Gus had a contingent of supporters that would gloss over those issues (I've called them deficiencies for 5 yrs) and remind us of what a "good man" he is/was.  They'd remind us that Auburn is the toughest job in the country and we should be grateful to have a morally sound HC leading this team.  All while his supporters would take to heart his annual promises of a "bright future" and how hard he would work to "turn this thing around"; when HE was the one that continued to get this thing all twisted in the first place.

My patience started running thin back in 2015, and grew worse after the ludicrous contract was inked.  I have always given him credit for running a clean program, graduating his players, AU out of the NCAA cross-hairs, and never embarrassing Auburn off-the-field.  

Has Kyle Whittingham been mentioned? Not sure what his contract looks like, but the guy has had consistent success at Utah. Also, still think Freeze should be priority number 1. He'll wind up at Tennessee next year when they let Elmer Fudd go and build them into a contender otherwise.

2 hours ago, chizhead said:

Craig isn't a very good example though. He's more of an egotistical guy than us Auburn fans wanted to admit. I loved Craig when he wore the Orange and Blue, but he has proven more than once that he's only out for making himself look good. BTW, he left Auburn and took the same things he was doing here to Baton Rouge and Orgeron ran him out on rails when he took over.

1 hour ago, VegasEagle said:

Christopher Scott Petersen, anyone have an opinion?

Would love it, but that dead horse has been beat into dust over the years. No chance from what I've gathered.

11 hours ago, shabby said:

Imo

Sarkisian would likely come If offered

Lane would likely Stay at Ole Miss

Freeze would come

11 hours ago, shabby said:

Imo

Sarkisian would likely come If offered

Lane would likely Stay at Ole Miss

Freeze would come

Napier would come

I tend to hope real hard that those 3 (leaving out Lane) are our "real" targets.

Archived