2021 3* Juco LB Joko Willis Signs With AU!

ellitor

9 hours ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Based off the film I have been able to see willis and bridges are my two favorite recruits we are pursuing on D. Long, Physical players with a sideline to sideline motor. 

I like the deep snapper. Those guys don’t grow on trees.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I like the deep snapper. Those guys don’t grow on trees.

I am going to start my kids at an early age and teach them how to be a long snapper. What a specialty. It is often overlooked more than any position on the roster at least from a fan's perspective. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am going to start my kids at an early age and teach them how to be a long snapper. What a specialty. It is often overlooked more than any position on the roster at least from a fan's perspective. 

There is a guy who did this. I can't remember the family's name but he realized this exact thing and turned all his kids into long snappers and they all got their college paid for and I think at least one of them made it into the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There is a guy who did this. I can't remember the family's name but he realized this exact thing and turned all his kids into long snappers and they all got their college paid for and I think at least one of them made it into the NFL. 

Im telling you. That is the way to go especially if they aren't blessed with D1 size. Start them early on punting, kicking, and snapping. Figure out which one they are best at and perfect it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Crofoot

• Thanks 1

Charles (TFA 2001 grad) snapped at Auburn from 2003 to 2005, the last two years as a starter. Yes, he played a critical role on the unbeaten '04 team.

Ike (TFA 2003) snapped four years at South Carolina, two years for Lou Holtz and two for Steve Spurrier, and was a team captain his senior year.

Rowley (TFA 2004) played on special teams at Florida for three years, including a role on two national championship teams.

Clayton (TFA 2005) was a holder at Auburn his junior and senior seasons and recently earned a grant-in-aid for his final year.

Williamson (TFA 2005) presently is No. 1 on the Florida depth chart as the long-snapper and has been snapping on punts. He also has been part of two national championship teams.

John (TFA 2009) is a member of the Florida team as a true freshman. He is both a deep-snapper and a holder.

Kyle (TFA junior) is biggest of the brothers at 6-4 and 230. He plays defensive and offensive tackle, and yes, does all the deep-snapping and would appear to be a natural for the position at the next level because of his size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting back to Joko he is a welcome addition to a position of need.  I would now lie to get a GT ILB with more traditional size as that is what I see missing on these team unless Riley has filled out and Steiner has put on about 10 pounds. Even if both are up to Task we need at least 4 ILB is we go to a 3-4 Defense.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* Juco LB Joko Willis Signs With AU!

Auburn signee Joko Willis ready to get to work with the Tigers

by Jason Caldwell

6 hours ago

INDEPENDENCE, Kansas—Following a redshirt season in 2019 and junior colleges not playing football in the fall of 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Auburn linebacker signee Joko Willis is preparing to play football this spring at Independence Community College with his mind on preparing himself mentally and physically to be ready to get to the Plains in May and work towards the 2021 season with the Tigers.

When he gets to Auburn he will be able to team up once again with Troup County (Georgia) High teammate Kobe Hudson. A player who saw action last season as a true freshman wide receiver for the Tigers, Hudson is enjoying being in the program and it has rubbed off on Willis.

“It’s like a dream,” Willis said of playing with Hudson again. “He said it is a great environment and he loves it and how he played.”

Because of Hudson being at Auburn and growing up just up an hour from Auburn in LaGrange, Willis was already very familiar with the program, but it was the interest that came from Coach Bryan Harsin’s staff that pushed him over the top. Waiting on an offer from the Tigers, he got that and plenty of love from new linebacker coach Jeff Schmedding.

“They really started recruiting me hard on the first day we started talking,” Willis said of the new Auburn staff. “They were like ‘get ready to play.’ Everything is just great. I just love how they are making sure to tell me they are going to push me as soon as I step on campus.”

That push has come from within for the last two years for Willis. Graduating high school at 6-2 and around 190 pounds, he spent his redshirt season in junior college working in the weight room. It has paid off along with a growth spurt that has him at 6-3, 215 pounds now. Still with his speed and athleticism, Willis said he is ready to show what he can do when he gets to Auburn where he is expected to have four seasons of eligibility due to the special rules in place during the pandemic.

“It has been a focus for me to get bigger and stronger,” Willis said. “I feel like toughness and awareness are two of my strengths as a player. There are a lot of things I know I am capable of.”

Athleticism isn't a problem for Willis. While at Troup County High he earned All-State honors both as a linebacker and as a wide receiver for the Tigers. 

Willis will join a linebacker group that should be a team strength in 2021 with the return of starters ZaKoby McClain and Owen Pappoe from last season as well as senior Chandler Wooten coming back to the team after sitting out last year. Throw in talented freshmen Cameron Riley, Wesley Steiner and Desmond Tisdol and Auburn’s linebackers should be a group to build around for new coordinator Derek Mason.

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...