Women's Basketball Coach Candidate Thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

The cartoon o.k.  But remember in the movie that Rosie O'Donnel played Betty.😨

Well then she wouldn’t be old as dirt and fit the joke.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Well then she wouldn’t be old as dirt and fit the joke.

I hope not!

51 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I keep checking the site for news on elite transfers and all I get are Flintstone broad updates.

You should be happy it hasn’t devolved into a thread about hamburgers! 😝 

55 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I keep checking the site for news on elite transfers and all I get are Flintstone broad updates.

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

You should be happy it hasn’t devolved into a thread about hamburgers! 😝 

Or Brontosaurus burgers. 

20 hours ago, warladytigers said:

From RebKell's Junie Board - NCAA Coaching movement posted today - I was just told that Johnnie Harris is 1A and Tina Langley 1B, followed closely by Sam Purcell as candidates for the Auburn job, with none of them having interviewed as of yet. Auburn's AD keeps things so close to the vest that not much would shock me. It appears that he has a preference for hiring a female candidate. Everyone connected with the program simply wants him to hire the best candidate.

Langley is THE one proven HC from that group. There would be several suitors based on that alone. She's in her late 40s, from Jasper and might be drawn to coming back home. However she did sign a 5 year extension before the 2019 season. Don't know the details.

8 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Langley is THE one proven HC from that group. There would be several suitors based on that alone. She's in her late 40s, rom Jasper and might be drawn to coming back home. However she did sign a 5 year extension before the 2019 season. Don't know the details.

I think the statement made by AG that he wanted to hire a proven coach from a major conference was just BS to have something to say. There aren't many of those and there are fewer that want to build a program from the ground up.  Langley is a proven HC, but look around the SEC at recent hires and what you see are very few, if any, lateral hires and a list of coaches that were either HC at a lower tier school or AC from a major program.

https://theballout.com/2021/03/ncaaw-coaching-hires-rumors-firings-transfers/

Auburn: Rumor has it that Rice head coach Tina Langley is in prime position to be the next head coach. Another interesting layout to this is that Langley’s first move would be to hire former Tigers great and current Eastern Kentucky head coach Samantha Williams as an associate head coach, multiple sources tell The Ball Out. More details on this and more in our Insider!

59 minutes ago, AUJarhead said:

I could fully support this decision.  Again, not my first choice, but it isn't my decision to make.  Just don't make a bone headed hire that shows little knowledge of the sport.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I could fully support this decision.  Again, not my first choice, but it isn't my decision to make.  Just don't make a bone headed hire that shows little knowledge of the sport.

I do, too.  And I'd love Coach Williams - she was one of the first three or four I'd call if I were AG - I'm not sure I buy her coming back as an assistant.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

What was your first choice? 

If it doesn't fall in line with it being a woman/minority then it would not be the AD's first set of choices, all else being equal. 

So if it is an assistant HC, but it is a man, it would not be equal or better than a HC that is a woman/minority for sure, if she checked all the boxes...

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

If it doesn't fall in line with it being a woman/minority then it would not be the AD's first set of choices, all else being equal. 

So if it is an assistant HC, but it is a man, it would not be equal or better than a HC that is a woman/minority for sure, if she checked all the boxes...

Unless the AHC salary is quite a lot more than the $115,000 she makes at E. Kentucky, then I  don't see her leaving either. 

Not sire what Auburn pays its women's BB team ACs....

57 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

My first choice would be Sam Purcell.  I would find a way to accept that he is a white male with a beautiful family.(... :) just sarcasm folks... it really is ok to laugh) To be honest, if any other candidate was as uniquely suited for the position as he is, that would be my pick, regardless of race or gender.  I readily admit that TIna Langley is more qualified when you place resumes side by side.

The program needs energy and excitement.  The program needs support from the local area and someone capable of selling a vision of the future.  I think he possesses both the basketball acumen and the ability to energize a very skeptical fan base.  He is a top recruiter nationally & the Auburn job is likely his dream job.

That said, I would have interest in interviewing Langley as well. I would speak with Johnnie Harris and Michelle Clark-Heard (Cincinatti HC).  It is possible after interviewing everyone, that my choice would change.  Last time we did this, I pushed and lobbied all I could for us to hire Kellie Harper, who was at NC State at the time.  She was a finalist and many people thought she was going to be the next HC. The below is an article from 2012.

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2012/3/21/2889131/kelli-harper-would-be-a-good-fit-for-auburn-womens-basketball

We went another direction and I supported that decision until it was obvious that it wasn't going to work.  Unfortunately, that time was before year 5, much less year 9.  Kellie is now the HC at Tennessee and the rest is history.  I can only imagine how much better shape the program would be in now had we hired her in 2012, regardless of whether or not she left for the UT opening.

I can find reasons to get excited about hiring Langley, if that is what we do, but many of the same reasons that made me think Kellie was the right choice in 2012 also make me believe that Sam is the right choice today.  Their backgrouds are very different and he doesn't have nearly the experience that Kellie had at the time, but their drive and familiarity with Auburn and the Southeast is similar.

Pros for Langley

Langley coached for 7 years as the associate head coach under Brenda Frese at Maryland. Louisville head coach Jeff Walz also coached under Frese at Maryland. That experience alone shows that she knows how to win and what it takes to win in the sport.  While associate HC, Maryland played in two Final 4s and won multiple conference championships.  Her record at Rice has been phenomenal.  In 5 seasons, her lowest number of wins has been 21. They won the women's NIT Championship over Ole MIss a few days ago.

https://riceowls.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/tina-langley/516

On 3/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, AU9377 said:

I doubt that Langley would come to Auburn for a formal interview unless she was told that she was at the very least a finalist.  I would be shocked if Oklahoma and Washington didn't contact her as well. The piece written by Mark Murphy over at 247 AUC didn't come across as containing inside information, but seemed more like general information thrown together simply to have something to post.  I like Mark, but it happens from time to time, especially if there is no news.

@AU9377 Understood but what does MM have to do with WarLadyTigers post? Looks like her info came from elsewhere.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:15 PM, tigeraddikt said:

@tigeraddikt There will be a separate thread for transfers after we have our new HC & they pursue transfers.

On 3/31/2021 at 2:21 AM, slyinsocal said:

Langley is THE one proven HC from that group.

Proven at Rice & proven in the SEC are 2 different things. Also only 1 NCAA appearance isn't truly proven IMO.

22 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I think the statement made by AG that he wanted to hire a proven coach from a major conference was just BS to have something to say.

Not sure he made that statement. If memory serves correctly it was info gathered by JGT on ADG's wants.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure he made that statement. If memory serves correctly it was info gathered by JGT on ADG's wants.

That is a fair point.  Either way, I certainly wouldn't hold it against him to re-evaluate once he got into the actual process of examining candidates etc.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AU9377 Understood but what does MM have to do with WarLadyTigers post? Looks like her info came from elsewhere.

Not connected at all really, other than both being sources  of information.  To be frank, I was really disappointed with the piece that MM wrote.  With very little information being available, MM may have simply been doing his best to generate some news by making a few educated guesses.  By pushing a few names into the news cycle, those names often respond in some way.  If they are quiet, it is usually safe to assume that they are indeed in the mix.  There are a lot of ways that information can be assembled, even if the AD's office remains tight lipped. 

It is still too early to know if Allen Greene's process of making a hire is an improvement or just another way of doing things.  I admire the way he took control of the hiring process when Harsin was hired.  That said, I'm more than a little skeptical about knowing who does and doesn't have his ear with respect to this hire.

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Entertaining read...Just message board gossip

Texas fans are curious as to what move we make....

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/2021-coaching-carousel.111533/

Well if OU is announcing their hire Friday, like the source on that site is stating, then one of our options may be gone...Harris or Langley?

29 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Well if OU is announcing their hire Friday, like the source on that site is stating, then one of our options may be gone...Harris or Langley?

My thinking as well.  It could me very little, but it could also focus our options somewhat.

Archived