Women's Basketball Coach Candidate Thread

Contrats to Nell Fortner & Ga Tech.

In her 2nd season back coaching she has taken Ga Tech to the Sweet 16, as well as being named coach of they year in the ACC.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize if I am repeating this name, for I have not thoroughly looked through all of these posts. I am not even sure if this coach is feasibly attainable with buyouts, etc., but what about Wes Moore at NC State? He has the Lady ‘pack as a #1 seed in the tournament. Living in Chattanooga, people I know who have strong ties to UTC said he was the best coach of any program in school history. Now, he has made NCSU relevant in the ACC. I feel like he could have strong interest with a program in the SEC having coached in Tennessee for several years, but then again I don’t know of his contract specifics, and he may well be very happy in Raleigh. Whoever we get is going to have a Tony Barbee-esque mess to clean up!

51 minutes ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

I apologize if I am repeating this name, for I have not thoroughly looked through all of these posts. I am not even sure if this coach is feasibly attainable with buyouts, etc., but what about Wes Moore at NC State? He has the Lady ‘pack as a #1 seed in the tournament. Living in Chattanooga, people I know who have strong ties to UTC said he was the best coach of any program in school history. Now, he has made NCSU relevant in the ACC. I feel like he could have strong interest with a program in the SEC having coached in Tennessee for several years, but then again I don’t know of his contract specifics, and he may well be very happy in Raleigh. Whoever we get is going to have a Tony Barbee-esque mess to clean up!

He is a great coach.  Im not sure that he would want to move though.  He isn't a spring chicken and I doubt we would pay much more than what he is making now. His current salary is around $800,000

He did interview for the Tennessee job when it came open, but he was given a new 6 year deal last year and NC State was a #1 seed in the tournament this year.  His buyout is a percentage of his salary remaining, so it is unclear what that would be.

13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

In her 2nd season back coaching she has taken Ga Tech to the Sweet 16, as well as being named coach of they year in the ACC.

And Blanche Alverson is one of her assistants, too.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:29 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

What a difference in the Coach search when Gus was fired it seems like every 10 minutes we were told so and so is leading candidate none of which was based in factual information, now for women's basketball coach no information coming out.  I know there is no rush but I was hoping by now we would at least have heard that we were setting up a few interviews.  Greene seems to run a tight ship as we are not hearing unfounded stories in this search.

@AuburnNTexas Most college basketball coach searches, men & women, don't usually take shape til near the end of after the NCAA Tourneys. This includes having interviews.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, AU9377 said:

Had no idea she was back in the college ranks. Congratulations to her.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas Most college basketball coach searches, men & women, don't usually take shape til near the end of after the NCAA Tourneys. This includes having interviews.

That is true.  We hired TWF on the second night of the Elite 8 from what I remember/.

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

That is true.  We hired TWF on the second night of the Elite 8 from what I remember/.

I was rooting for Northwestern yesterday against Louisville because of this.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, AU9377 said:

I wouldn't mind rooting for a Nell Fortner coached team but root for Ga. Tech? That's out of the question!

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wouldn't mind rooting for a Nell Fortner coached team but root for Ga. Tech? That's out of the question!

I think that @augolf1716can get on board with this, lol

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

She too old for me

Lol, no surprise this was your take. I was mainly referring to the Ga Tech part of that equation 

On 3/24/2021 at 10:30 PM, AU9377 said:

then we don't want to do THAT again. Must be an omen. :)

Wisconsin set to hire the head coach from Boston University, Marisa Moseley.

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Lol, no surprise this was your take. I was mainly referring to the Ga Tech part of that equation 

Well we know what's more important but yeah the tech would get in the way as well

On 3/26/2021 at 10:19 AM, augolf1716 said:

She too old for me

Wilma Flintstone is not too old for you. 

12 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Wilma Flintstone is not too old for you. 

I’m a Betty man myself! 😝 

From RebKell's Junie Board - NCAA Coaching movement posted today - I was just told that Johnnie Harris is 1A and Tina Langley 1B, followed closely by Sam Purcell as candidates for the Auburn job, with none of them having interviewed as of yet. Auburn's AD keeps things so close to the vest that not much would shock me. It appears that he has a preference for hiring a female candidate. Everyone connected with the program simply wants him to hire the best candidate.

11 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

From RebKell's Junie Board - NCAA Coaching movement posted today - I was just told that Johnnie Harris is 1A and Tina Langley 1B, followed closely by Sam Purcell as candidates for the Auburn job, with none of them having interviewed as of yet. Auburn's AD keeps things so close to the vest that not much would shock me. It appears that he has a preference for hiring a female candidate. Everyone connected with the program simply wants him to hire the best candidate.

Considering Texas and Louisville are still in tournament, understandable they can't be interviewed till season is over. Not sure why they haven't already interviewed Langley since her team is not playing. 

It's hard not to try to hire the woman coach first, all other reasons being equal...Same thing they try to do in NFL with minority hiring and must interview minorities when hiring a HC....

8 hours ago, toddc said:

I’m a Betty man myself! 😝 

The cartoon o.k.  But remember in the movie that Rosie O'Donnel played Betty.😨

2 hours ago, warladytigers said:

I doubt that Langley would come to Auburn for a formal interview unless she was told that she was at the very least a finalist.  I would be shocked if Oklahoma and Washington didn't contact her as well. The piece written by Mark Murphy over at 247 AUC didn't come across as containing inside information, but seemed more like general information thrown together simply to have something to post.  I like Mark, but it happens from time to time, especially if there is no news.

Archived