Bill Frist: Then and Now

Tiger Al

What he said then:

Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), a renowned heart surgeon before becoming Senate majority leader, went to the floor late Thursday night for the second time in 12 hours to argue that Florida doctors had erred in saying Terri Schiavo is in a "persistent vegetative state."

"I question it based on a review of the video footage which I spent an hour or so looking at last night in my office," he said in a lengthy speech in which he quoted medical texts and standards. "She certainly seems to respond to visual stimuli."

And now:

The Senate majority leader, Bill Frist, who drew criticism earlier this year after reviewing images of Terri Schiavo on videotape and then suggesting that she was responsive, defended himself on Thursday, a day after an autopsy report showed that she had suffered irreversible brain damage.

"People said: 'Bill Frist, you're making a diagnosis. Doctor, you're trying to wear your white coat on the floor of the Senate,' " said Dr. Frist, a heart-lung transplant surgeon. "I never made a diagnosis. I wouldn't even attempt to make a diagnosis from a videotape."

:blink:

I think this would qualify as "crawfishing" wouldn't it, Tiger In Spain?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Just out of curiousity, Al, where did the second quote come from? I had seen the first, but not the second.

And yes, it does appear that Mr./Dr. Frist has been possessed by the spirit of John Kerry.

Just out of curiousity, Al, where did the second quote come from?  I had seen the first, but not the second.

And yes, it does appear that Mr./Dr. Frist has been possessed by the spirit of John Kerry.

164353[/snapback]

LINK

Here's another article that gives quotes of his from a recent 'Today' show appearence:

The additional finding that she was blind and oblivious to what was happening around her was at odds with Frist's comment in his March 17 remarks in the Senate that "she certainly seems to respond to visual stimuli."

But queried about that comment in an interview Thursday on NBC's "Today" show, Frist insisted, "I never said she responded."

LINK

Just out of curiousity, Al, where did the second quote come from?  I had seen the first, but not the second.

164353[/snapback]

LINK

Here's another article that gives quotes of his from a recent 'Today' show appearence:

The additional finding that she was blind and oblivious to what was happening around her was at odds with Frist's comment in his March 17 remarks in the Senate that "she certainly seems to respond to visual stimuli."

But queried about that comment in an interview Thursday on NBC's "Today" show, Frist insisted, "I never said she responded."

LINK

164356[/snapback]

Company-- Somehow you work in a Kerry bash-- interesting-- pointless and out of place, but interersting. Bill Frist has a long history of lying about his actions.

While in medical school, Frist adopted cats from Boston animal shelters, telling shelter staff he intended to keep them as pets. He would then experiment on and kill the animals as part of his medical studies.
http://www.answers.com/topic/bill-frist

I don't think he knew Kerry at the time.

Frist came into office as part of a very welcome wave of revolt against business as usual.

I think it's about time we had another voter revolt. It took ten years, but the reformers have turned into the same bums they once replaced. Doubletalk is just one of the symptoms.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Company-- Somehow you work in a Kerry bash-- interesting-- pointless and out of place, but interersting.  Bill Frist has a long history of lying about his actions.

164365[/snapback]

Hey, I find Kerry's actions pretty funny. Looks like Frist is doing the same thing.

Personally, I find most career politicians unsavory, unattractive, unbelievable and untrustworthy. That goes for many Republicans as well as Democrats. They could all take a course in high school level Civics and learn a bit of the basics again.

As far as Frist goes, one, I agree that he is flipflopping, crawfishing or whatever other euphamism you want to use. Two, he is, at best, irresponsible for trying to make any kind of diagnosis from a video tape. Three, he is speaking outside his specialty, it seems to me. And finally, four, I don't agree with his views on this issue anyway. This should have never been an issue outside the families or the courts. All teh political grndstanding made, and continues to make, me sick.

Archived