Baseball vs Ole Miss (series)

Can Tim Hudson still pitch???? If so, our guys need to take bating practice off him....I'm sure on a bad day, he can still reach mid-90's...it seems like anytime we face a guy that throws in the 90's we are shutdown...how many K's tonight??? a boatload...also I'm getting tired with our stat leading the SEC in hitting...take away that 30 run win earlier this year and we're a long way from being a good offensive team...nothing against the players or coaches, just making a statement...we had a GREAT chance to win tonight and now we got to take the next 2 to win the series...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough loss last night. Hoglund was great, but we generated a few chances, just couldn’t cash in. I still think the strikeout is the key to this series, and they won that data point last night. Tip your cap to Hoglund, but it’s also a positive for me that we battled him. We weren’t always fooled and many times were on pitches and just couldn’t barrel them up. I thought we made him really work and pitch to get us. 

Interested to see how we adjust today. The guy OM will throw today is very similar to Hoglund. FB, slider, change. He just isn’t the dominant force that Hoglund is and won’t spot pitches quite the same. So when he gives us chances, we have to take advantage. Excited to see Barnett on the mound for us. I think he has Hoglund-type potential, and hopefully, he gives another strong performance today. 

13 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Haven’t won a game in Oxford since 2012.

0-13 since.

Tired of it. Get fed up with it Auburn. Win a dern game. 

HArd to believe since 2012 we could not win even a SUnday game over there.

But hey, Ole Miss is ranked 4th for a reason. You have to have some luck to beat them at their place against their ace.

That inning we had 2 on, 2nd and 3rd, nobody out, and we struck out I think 3 in a row after that. Not even a bat on the ball to get a run in put them mentally in a hole after that. 

But 1-0 is still competitive baseball against a top 5 team in your first game. (that's my positive spin after sleeping on it. ) :)

Runs coming faster today. 3-2 OM going to the bottom of the 3rd. Bliss got a solo shot to start the 3rd, then Ward and Woley both singled. Followed by a popup and two strikeouts to end the inning. Williams is now 0-6 with 5 strikeouts so far this weekend.

No idea why they're giving Barnett this long of a leash. Single, a walk, and then a high chopper to 1st base and Barnett mishandled the throw. Bases loaded no outs and then he hit the next batter on the first pitch. 4-2 OM bases loaded no outs.

Edit: Auburn is challenging to make sure Bench didn't lean into the pitch.

Barnett missing the plate a good bit and Williams is having to save the ball from going to the backstop. Chopper to first and Miller takes it himself for out 1 but runners move up and a runner scores. Next batter flies out and runners tag. 6-2 OM with 2 outs and a runner on 3rd.

Edit: Barnett stops the bleeding and strikes out the last batter of the inning. Bright was warming up in the bullpen so we'll probably see him in the 4th.

10 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Hill grounds out, Howell pops up, and Hall with the 7th strike out of the day and 20th of the weekend so far.

Just to be totally accurate, we now have 21 Ks.

Last night the OM reliever also recorded a K for a total of 14 Ks against us. :(

And now they have scored in every inning. It's going to be a long game. 

24 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

No idea why they're giving Barnett this long of a leash. Single, a walk, and then a high chopper to 1st base and Barnett mishandled the throw. Bases loaded no outs and then he hit the next batter on the first pitch. 4-2 OM bases loaded no outs.

Edit: Auburn is challenging to make sure Bench didn't lean into the pitch.

He's been hit by NINE pitches this season so far......he has perfected a tiny movement to get the HBP.  Nobody gets hit that much by accident. Butch is letting that kid know he knows what's up.

21 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Barnett missing the plate a good bit and Williams is having to save the ball from going to the backstop. Chopper to first and Miller takes it himself for out 1 but runners move up and a runner scores. Next batter flies out and runners tag. 6-2 OM with 2 outs and a runner on 3rd.

Edit: Barnett stops the bleeding and strikes out the last batter of the inning. Bright was warming up in the bullpen so we'll probably see him in the 4th.

No, interesting he goes to Fuller in the 4th, struggles but gets out of the inning w no runs....

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Just to be totally accurate, we now have 21 Ks.

Last night the OM reliever also recorded a K for a total of 14 Ks against us. :(

And now they have scored in every inning. It's going to be a long game. 

Dang, thought we only had 13 last night. We have to do a better job of getting the bat on the ball.

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

He's been hit by NINE pitches this season so far......he has perfected a tiny movement to get the HBP.  Nobody gets hit that much by accident. Butch is letting that kid know he knows what's up.

Yup, they mentioned the hit by nine pitches. He does this weird little dip that looks like he's getting ready to swing the bat but it puts him in path of the pitch.

Just now, steeleagle said:

No, interesting he goes to Fuller in the 4th, struggles but gets out of the inning w no runs....

I thought maybe Trace Bright would start tomorrow. Maybe I misread that or don't remember it correctly.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Didn't even see Fuller warming up, they showed the bullpen and only Bright was warming up. Glad he was able to get out of that jam but our pitchers are struggling today.

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Dang, thought we only had 13 last night. We have to do a better job of getting the bat on the ball.

Yup, they mentioned the hit by nine pitches. He does this weird little dip that looks like he's getting ready to swing the bat but it puts him in path of the pitch.

That kid's not doing it by accident. Butch is not gonna let that kind of crap go without calling it out. He doesn't complain much but when he does it's legitimate. 

3 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I thought maybe Trace Bright would start tomorrow. Maybe I misread that or don't remember it correctly.

ESPN might have had the wrong pitcher on the graphic? I wasn't able to see a number just saw the graphic that said Bright was warming up

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

ESPN might have had the wrong pitcher on the graphic? I wasn't able to see a number just saw the graphic that said Bright was warming up

They said it was Bright warming up......which surprised me. 

Woley with a 10 pitch battle but flies out to RF. Miller up with a man on and 2 outs. Gotta start driving some of these runners in.

Edit: And Miller pops it up. :(

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Woley with a 10 pitch battle but flies out to RF. Miller up with a man on and 2 outs. Gotta start driving some of these runners in.

Edit: And Miller pops it up. :(

Woley so close to an XBH but it just hangs up long enough. Getting tired of  this in Oxford. For a decade it’s been “almost but not enough” for Auburn there. Really tired of it. 

Fuller strikes out the first batter but then walks the next and gives up a single. OM has had a runner in scoring position every inning so far. Runner was running on the pitch but OM lines it to Bliss who flips to second for the double play. Nice work getting out of that inning but they're still hitting us really hard.

McDaniel's day is done for OM. Kimbrell on in for relief and he walks Moore on 4 straight pitches. Time for Williams to put this bad start to the weekend behind him.

Moore advances on a wild pitch but Williams strikes out AGAIN. Not sure what is going on with him this year but he's the worst batter in terms of average that we have this year.

Shenker in to bat for Hill. Looks like Hill might be coming in to pitch soon. Shenker doubles and Moore comes around to score! Great hitting for the double-sport guy. :D 6-3 OM

Archived