Baseball vs Ole Miss (series)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

It is like scripted clockwork. Auburn goes to Oxford, gets close to a win, but can’t quite get over the final hump. This is so annoyingly frustrating. 

We are playing the 4th best team in the country on the road. And we did lose both games by 1 run, so we are grinding and being competitve.

I will add this, I always felt that when your team was competitive, but still losing more than winning, I felt the difference was always due to coaching and how the coaches instilled and taught the mental part of the game. 

I think that is what always makes the difference between a great team and an avg team.

2 hours ago, AU1947 said:

Are baseball tickets as hard to get as softball?

I don’t know but I paid a pretty penny to get tix to the Saturday UF game about a month away. There were a total of 6 tickets available through StubHub for that game

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I don’t know but I paid a pretty penny to get tix to the Saturday UF game about a month away. There were a total of 6 tickets available through StubHub for that game

Wow.....interesting.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Man oh man.......we are getting a beat down. 😱

In the last 2 games our pitchers have given up 16 walks in 15 innings.

Never going to win with pitching like that.

And then there again is our lack of offense too....:(

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

In the last 2 games our pitchers have given up 16 walks in 15 innings.

Never going to win with pitching like that.

And then there again is our lack of offense too....:(

They sort of play off each other......

Not sure what caused this recent pitching meltdown but hopefully Butch can help the team regroup and refocus. We really need Jack Owen back on the mound to take some pressure off, and Stephen Williams needs to get going again. Those 2 things would make a huge difference. 

Good to see Auburn still fighting, and thankfully the shutout is now off the table.

I believe very strongly they will get better. But the trend is not good so far. Every weekend opponent seems to have Trevor Bauer and Walker Buehler starting for them. The bottom line is, we're striking out WAY more, and walking way less than our opponents. It is a stark contrast. And why S.Williams looks worse today than 2 years ago is a mystery. Some guys' offensive performance suffers when they are used as a swiss army knife on defense. If it HAS to be catcher, so be it. Bat him 9th.

30 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

I believe very strongly they will get better. But the trend is not good so far. Every weekend opponent seems to have Trevor Bauer and Walker Buehler starting for them. The bottom line is, we're striking out WAY more, and walking way less than our opponents. It is a stark contrast. And why S.Williams looks worse today than 2 years ago is a mystery. Some guys' offensive performance suffers when they are used as a swiss army knife on defense. If it HAS to be catcher, so be it. Bat him 9th.

I also hope we stop throwing Cam Hill out there on the mound. He might be good one day but right now he just doesn't have it. Let him keep DHing and focusing on the bat and worry about pitching on a Tuesday game or just during the offseason. I can only imagine that getting hit hard/missing the plate every time you pitch has to be demoralizing for his confidence.

We have a team that put up 9 runs against the # 4 team.....so there is some hitting going on. SW just can't catch up to hard throwing SEC pitchers, but he could walk a lot more if he stopped swinging at bad pitches. I expect to see his slump break pretty soon. 

Pitching is the more of a big ugly right now. Nobody seems to have good control. Some of that will either right itself with coaching and game experience, or we will have a very disappointing season. I just can't see Butch letting things get too out of hand, but with the injuries it's been hard to fill the void. We had the same problem 2 -3 years ago when we lost Davis Daniel and a couple of other starters. 

4 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

We have a team that put up 9 runs against the # 4 team.....so there is some hitting going on. SW just can't catch up to hard throwing SEC pitchers, but he could walk a lot more if he stopped swinging at bad pitches. I expect to see his slump break pretty soon. 

Pitching is the more of a big ugly right now. Nobody seems to have good control. Some of that will either right itself with coaching and game experience, or we will have a very disappointing season. I just can't see Butch letting things get too out of hand, but with the injuries it's been hard to fill the void. We had the same problem 2 -3 years ago when we lost Davis Daniel and a couple of other starters. 

I also think we'll look back on this series and realize it's no as bad as thought. Yeah, we got swept but the first two games we only lost by 1 run each. While there's a lot of stuff to work on, mainly what you named above, there's also a lot of positives with Greenhill, Bliss, Woley, and Miller coming through majorly this weekend. And even Swilling looked pretty good in relief. Hate trying to use moral victories but Friday and Saturday should definitely be two moral victories.

I just hope that we can turn the corner because I expected this to be a really good team this year and we've gotten close but not there yet.

21 hours ago, AU1947 said:

Are baseball tickets as hard to get as softball?

I have a good friend who is also a significant donor. He has bought four season baseball tickets for years. This year he was limited to ten games. I don't know if he could pick his games or they were assigned but tickets are indeed tight when donors are being limited.

9 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I also think we'll look back on this series and realize it's no as bad as thought. Yeah, we got swept but the first two games we only lost by 1 run each. While there's a lot of stuff to work on, mainly what you named above, there's also a lot of positives with Greenhill, Bliss, Woley, and Miller coming through majorly this weekend. And even Swilling looked pretty good in relief. Hate trying to use moral victories but Friday and Saturday should definitely be two moral victories.

I just hope that we can turn the corner because I expected this to be a really good team this year and we've gotten close but not there yet.

Butch said after the game, that adjustments will need to be made.

Now what that is, don't know. Other than he may try someone else as the third starter. Bright has been getting lit up recently. Some of the relievers are not holding the line, so may see someone else get late inning shots. 

Pitchers are walking way too many. I think they walked 17 in 15 innings over the last 2 games, and that's without OM getting their last at bat. 

I don't really see much in the fact that we scored late against OM in that last game. I am sure OM was not using their better relievers with a 14 run lead.I just never put much stock in late inning hitting when a team is so far behind. 

We just don't get consistent hitting and clutch hitting when we need it with this lineup. True, we played the #4 team, so have to factor that in.

We will see how we come back against a team in KY. We definitely need 2 of 3 from them, and definitely that first one to get off to a good weekend series.

Not being able to take advantage of Friday and Saturday just killed this series. We need to rebound and fast! 

"I don't really see much in the fact that we scored late against OM in that last game. I am sure OM was not using their better relievers with a 14 run lead.I just never put much stock in late inning hitting when a team is so far behind. "

Tell that to Boston College....

It showed that the team was still fighting, and that they were not going to be shutout again. They didn't quit. They took advantage of the opportunity and got 9 runs. 

Butch is still tinkering with the batting order, so it will be interesting to see what happens with that. 

Archived