$309 million in projects underway

aubiefifty

Auburn under construction: $309 million in projects underway this summer

By Giana Han
3-4 minutes

The pandemic didn’t stop the dump trucks, excavators, cranes and construction workers from putting together, piece-by-piece, the newest academic buildings on Auburn’s campus.

There’s still a year to go on two of Auburn’s bigger endeavors, but hints of how they’ll enrich the Auburn experience are starting to show through as the glistening windows are installed.

In the past school year, Auburn also broke ground on two new projects. Now, with the campus emptier in the summer months, Auburn is working hard on building up its campus. Here’s a list of $318 million in projects that are underway with details:

The Football Performance Center:

Auburn football’s new home is the newest project Auburn has undertaken. The $91.9 million project broke ground in the spring of 2021. It will be 233,400 square feet overall and will consist of a 138,100 square foot Football Operations Building, a 95,300 square foot Indoor Practice Facility and two full-sized, natural turf football practice fields. It is located on the corner of West Samford Avenue and Wire Road. Auburn hopes to have the facility finished and ready to welcome its football players in the summer of 2022.

The Tony and Libba Rane Culinary Science Center:

This $110 million project will be both an academic building and a living space. The building will support the College of Human Sciences’ Hospitality Management program, specifically the Culinary Science, Event Management, and Hotel and Restaurant Management academic options. It will also include six living spaces to be rented out to third parties. Overall, it will be 142,135 square feet. It is a two-year project and should finish in the spring of 2022.

The Chilled Water Plant:

This two-phase project aims to replace the old water plant in the core of campus in the first phase and to demolish the one on Wilmore Drive in the second phase. The one on campus will be replaced with a 7,200 square foot building with two 2,500 ton chiller units. There will be space to expand to a third, as well. Auburn plans to have that completed in the spring of 2022. The demolition is planned for the fall of 2022. It is a $24 million project.

The Academic Classroom and Laboratory Complex:

Located near the baseball field, the Academic Classroom and Laboratory Complex will be a 151,000 square-foot building. It was started in the spring of 2019 and is scheduled to wrap up in the spring of 2022. When finished, it will be able to seat 2,000 students in 20 different classrooms and laboratories as well as six engaged active student learning (EASL) classrooms, and five lecture halls. It will be second to the Haley Center in the amount of instructional space. Once it’s done, Parker Hall will be demolished. It is an $83 million project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• WarTiger changed the title to $309 million in projects underway

Wasn't there supposed to be a new baseball development building or center or something?    Maybe I am making this up, but I thought after the college world series something was announced.   Was that already completed?   

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Wasn't there supposed to be a new baseball development building or center or something?    Maybe I am making this up, but I thought after the college world series something was announced.   Was that already completed?   

This seems to be a point of contention 

Edited by DAG
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

The new baseball complex is either finished or nearly finished. I haven't rode by in awhile.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Butthead said:

Can’t believe Parker is still there. That place was a dump when I was there 30 years ago. 

I am pretty sure there is a plan to remove Parker.   I either read that or my son told me that last year.   And yeah, it was a dump 30 yrs ago.

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@Beaker no I'm serious about the culinary center! Have you read up on it? Maybe I'm the only one who's really excited about it.

I got you....you can be excited and I am willing to bet my paycheck you will or would appreciate it 10x more than I would.  

Is it for all students/ or Auburn programs or geared for the athletes?

18 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I got you....you can be excited and I am willing to bet my paycheck you will or would appreciate it 10x more than I would.  

Is it for all students/ or Auburn programs or geared for the athletes?

Graduate culinary students, but sounds like the entire student body, and the public will be able to enjoy the hotel and restaurants

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Beaker said:

21 hours ago, DAG said:

This seems to be a point of contention 

The player development center was finished before this season

https://auburntigers.com/facilities/auburn-baseball-player-development-center/1028

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, fredst said:

Word on the street is that recruits are fired up about the Chilled Water Plant

Serious?    Huh.

I heard it was just the hot coeds.     I guess my sources could be wrong.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Word on the street is that recruits are fired up about the Chilled Water Plant

Harsin to recruits: "We'll have non-stop air conditioning!"

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Butthead said:

Can’t believe Parker is still there. That place was a dump when I was there 30 years ago. 

I think every Auburn student should be required to attend at least one class in that building. It builds character.

27 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

I think every Auburn student should be required to attend at least one class in that building. It builds character.

Man I spent wwwwaaaayyyy too much time there….

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ken woolley said:

I attended many math classes in Parker.  The building did not effect how much I learned at all.

Same here

On 7/15/2021 at 7:42 PM, fredst said:

Man I spent wwwwaaaayyyy too much time there….

LOL. I'm pretty sure I could find my way around Parker Hall and Allison Laboratory blindfolded. Not sure I would even recognize the rest of the campus though.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, TigerTale said:

LOL. I'm pretty sure I could find my way around Parker Hall and Allison Laboratory blindfolded. Not sure I would even recognize the rest of the campus though.

Ha. Sounds like premed or chemistry major like me. What a dump. Only thing good is stopping by the baseball field in spring. Saw Bo make an incredible play there back in the day that very few people witnessed 

22 hours ago, ken woolley said:

The building did not effect how much I learned at all.

Me either. I rarely attended the only class I had there- physics for engineers. COULD also be why I got that D in physics and changed majors 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1