2021 Bo Nix

WDE_OxPx_2010

Exactly . On those long throws you are going to be off a little. I thought Bo was throwing them in a safe place. As one of the announcers said The throw yo the back shoulder was actually safer for the receiver  as opposed to the other side which likely would have led to a hard contact with the receiver. I don’t know if Bo was aiming there but it worked out well and there was no contact. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

it's clear as day he's finally decided to work on his fundamentals

Also known as finally got good coaching that reinforces and demands it. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Of course you see who we played....so I'm waiting and hoping this translates against decent teams.

Yup. Good strides, another step forward from imoroved form/awareness we saw in A Day, but we literally had 0 pressures last week.  Probably not going to happen but I wish we had a game where he'd face a touch of adversity before Penn State. Hopefully it carries through to PSU.

Hopefully the 1v1 scrimmages were enough 

ill be interested to see how he does with more pressure.    will he revert back to last year or not?       I also dont believe the QB competition was as close as the coaching staff made it sound like.     

7 hours ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Is it just me or did Bo seem to have more zip on the ball then previous years?   He seemed to have improved on his arm strength.

Looked like his long balls were thrown with a low trajectory, so I'd say yes.  Probably due to the improved footwork.  He was stepping into his throws.

Edited by homersapien

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Looked like his long balls were thrown with a low trajectory, so I'd say yes.

More zip? No. He's always had zip, it's just a matter of accuracy with him.

One thing I did notice and this has to come from Harsin/Bobo coaching him up...was when he did throw the ball deeper and the WR was open, Bo didn't airmail it but laid it up their with some touch to give the WR a chance to catch it, even if it was not right in stride or right to his hands.

8 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

ill be interested to see how he does with more pressure.    will he revert back to last year or not?       I also dont believe the QB competition was as close as the coaching staff made it sound like.     

I was also under the impression the QB competition was closer. If the offensive line can protect him, I am interested in seeing if Bo has evolved in his problem solving.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Also known as finally got good coaching that reinforces and demands it. 

Yup. Good strides, another step forward from imoroved form/awareness we saw in A Day, but we literally had 0 pressures last week.  Probably not going to happen but I wish we had a game where he'd face a touch of adversity before Penn State. Hopefully it carries through to PSU.

Hopefully the 1v1 scrimmages were enough 

Yeah some people need extra some don't, that's what the discipline and all maturity and all of that comes into play. 

No there won't be any adversity but these tune up games couldn't have come at a better time. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah some people need extra some don't, that's what the discipline and all maturity and all of that comes into play. 

No there won't be any adversity but these tune up games couldn't have come at a better time. 

Discipline is probably right, but coincides with coaching, IMO.

Bo lived on his athleticism in HS. His film shows that and he just bailed constantly. Gus allowed that to continue. But it clearly wasn't working. He's athletic, but he can't do what he did in HS and succeed here. Some can.

He needed to develop and get better. Hopefully it translates to better opponents 

This is the year for Bo to go off , strictly because this QB class is questionable. I believe MW can be the #1 QB odd the board for real. Bo can for sure slowly creep up on the qb board with competent QB play. 

Didn't they throw #1 defense with kitchen sink at #1 offense in practice and scrimmage? The reports that came out were penetration, hurries and interceptions. HOWEVER, the hope is that THIS coaching staff continues to help the OL develop AND they scheme around their weaknesses. So, all may not be perfect when we see peer competition, but we might have a better plan to compensate (vs prior administrations that just did the same stupid stuff over and over again). That is the hope. And over time, S&C, FB IQ, and recruiting plugs those holes and we don't have to compensate for squat. These 2 - 3 games are such a blessing to provide more time for the talent in-house to get better. Like BB, it's about peaking at the optimal times during the season, and it just might (might) turn out to be a very good season. If it doesn't, this class probably still avoids embarrassment, and gets a lot of credit toward building the foundation of future greatness. Like the beachhead key to winning the war. We may lose some battles, but as long as we win the war, ....

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/view/offense/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc

This is how Bo ranks after week 1 vs. all other QB's in college football

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is the year for Bo to go off , strictly because this QB class is questionable. I believe MW can be the #1 QB odd the board for real. Bo can for sure slowly creep up on the qb board with competent QB play. 

Jesus man, I think I've lost my seat driving through bus of "Bo can be better" and you've taken over, tossed me to the back, and floored it to Bo might be a 1st round draft pick. 🤣

I'm holding on. Let's gooooo

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 1

EIGHT different receivers while Bo was in. 11 different receivers overall. A variety of areas, throws, and situations. Numerous options for the QB. Well coached receivers ready and EXPECTING to make a play, and rewarded. HUGE. So refreshing to see.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This is the year. Bo Nix has improved so much under this new offense. He’s focused. He’s having fun. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a dark horse for the Heisman

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Bo has been a good QB in his time at AU, with lots of room for improvement. Reading this board at times, one would think his play has been terrible. After all, he was voted SEC Freshman of the Year. Apparently new coaching, another year to mature and a different offense helped a bunch.

One other thing about Bo Nix, he's just now reaching the age/maturity level that most QB's need. Look at some solid AU QB's of the past. Reggie Slack, Jeff Burger and Dameyume Craig were all 4th year juniors before they became the starter. Jason Campbell was a third year soph before he finally won the job permanently and Ben Leard was a part-timer until his senior year. Bo is just now entering his 3rd year of college football. Some people, me among them, expected too much too soon from Bo Nix. His best is still in front of him.

Bingo!!! We don't beat Bama in 2019 without Bo Nix.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bikeriderga said:

Bingo!!! We don't beat Bama in 2019 without Bo Nix.

or Oregon....I am a fan of Bo's upside and competitiveness.  Will he become great?  Time will tell.   From what I saw, Finley is still not SEC - ready.  

But, it sure looks like Bobo is surely developing Bo.   I am super hopeful - I think we have a shot at beating a couple of teams that we will not be favored against, IF Bo can be consistent (fingers crossed). 

5 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

EIGHT different receivers while Bo was in. 11 different receivers overall. A variety of areas, throws, and situations. Numerous options for the QB. Well coached receivers ready and EXPECTING to make a play, and rewarded. HUGE. So refreshing to see.

Well, eight sounds nice, but Hefley found 15 different receivers on Saturday.   And he tossed 10 TDs...just sayin' Bo still has some work to do. 

(before anyone jumps on me - I am a big fan of Kevin Kelley and just having fun.  Hefley did hit 15 different receivers/backs, crazy). 

14 hours ago, DAG said:

I am with you on MW.. was pleasantly surprised at how well Nix played and even though it was “just Akron” we have seen him against those “just Akron” teams in the past and it was not pretty. It is amazing what competent coaching can do for your QB. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

Well, eight sounds nice, but Hefley found 15 different receivers on Saturday.   And he tossed 10 TDs...just sayin' Bo still has some work to do. 

(before anyone jumps on me - I am a big fan of Kevin Kelley and just having fun.  Hefley did hit 15 different receivers/backs, crazy). 

15 is a crazy number.. it was just refreshing to see Nix go through progressions and find the open guy.. hit the check downs.. etc .. when in the past he would force it into coverage to Seth or whoever. The receivers ran nice routes and Nix was able to spread the ball around.. 8 different receivers sounds amazing for us fans who are use to watching him force it into coverage to one guy.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

15 is a crazy number.. it was just refreshing to see Nix go through progressions and find the open guy.. hit the check downs.. etc .. when in the past he would force it into coverage to Seth or whoever. The receivers ran nice routes and Nix was able to spread the ball around.. 8 different receivers sounds amazing for us fans who are use to watching him force it into coverage to one guy.. 

100% agree, I was just wanting to post up how Kevin Kelley did in his college debut. I think he is a good guy and deserved a chance to coach some college FB.

Auburn's passing game was crazy effective:  8 receivers, five catches by the TE and Bo connected on two deep balls.   and I don't know much about football, but I can see crazy improvement.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

100% agree, I was just wanting to post up how Kevin Kelley did in his college debut. I think he is a good guy and deserved a chance to coach some college FB.

Auburn's passing game was crazy effective:  8 receivers, five catches by the TE and Bo connected on two deep balls.   and I don't know much about football, but I can see crazy improvement.  

Agree. I wasn’t expecting that type of performance and it was so nice just to sit back and watch good OL play, good qb play and the receivers doing their thing. I was happy for our receivers most of all.. they ran nice routes and got separation and had a qb who gave them catchable balls.. 

I'll just say I think this is great if this is the direction we're going as far as having a brain and evaluating players.......but if this is going to be a one time thing then it's complete and x total bull crap. I'm going to try to give people the benefit of doubt and say I'm happy that we are actually taking variables in and not being as hard on players

22 hours ago, Barnacle said:

No doubt that Akron's defense is hot, hot garbage, but there is still a lot to glean from Nix's performance and the offense as a whole last night. Progression through receivers was immediately apparent, and a stark difference from what we've seen previously. Nix was moving to and from, and sometimes back to different sides or quadrants of the field. Although I don't think he's completely comfortable with what they are asking him to do yet, it's obvious that he is doing it, and that's a testament to Bobo, Harsin, the offensive staff, and of course, Bo Nix.

His touchdown pass to Kobe Hudson was a great example of this. Defense lined up in a cover 2 look. Nix's first read was to the strong safety, who immediately dropped to the middle of the field in cover 3. He then moved to the right side of the field, looked off the corner lined up over Hudson who widened out to cover the flat leaving a massive gap up the seam between the strong safety in the middle third, and the boundary corner occupying the right third of the field. Nix comes back to Hudson and throws a strike for a touchdown. It was a thing of beauty.

That's the most disciplined ball I've seen Bo Nix play, and the more comfortable he gets, the better he will get. That said, he was hardly pressured, and it's one thing to go through progressions when you can stand in the pocket unperturbed. This is all repetition, and I'm glad he is having an opportunity to get more comfortable against some easier opponents before the test he will face in Beaver stadium. Getting comfortable for Bo means moving through his progressions quickly and decisively, which he will have to do against a more formidable pass rush. 

As everyone saw, Nix was standing tall in the pocket, setting his feet, and stepping into his throws. It is pleasing to see the focus Bobo is placing on Nix's fundamentals bearing fruit on game day. If Bo continues to progress through the meat of our schedule, this will be a really exciting offense to watch.

Something else to note that I saw someone post last night. Last time an Auburn TE had more than 10 receptions in a season was CJ Uzomah in 2014. John Shenker had five catches last night alone. 

Always love reading this kind of post. Wish I could retain more of it but I love seeing things broken down for dummies like myself.

• Like 2

His form looked better, but more importantly he looked comfortable in what he was trying to do. Maybe that's Bobo's direct influence, which is refreshing finally. 

We'll see if that stays the same in a couple weeks against a good opponent.

Loved seeing Bo find Tank, Worm and JSS as options in the passing game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Loved seeing Bo find Tank, Worm and JSS as options in the passing game. 

Preach.

A lot has been made of TE usage and rightfully so but I think increased usage of RBs in the passing game could be just as big a story.